Deadline: February 15, 2024
Applications are open for the Zukunftskolleg Konnect Fellowships 2024. The Zukunftskolleg Konnect Fellowships support early career researchers from Africa, Asia and Latin America, who do research that fits to one of the thirteen departments at the University of Konstanz.
As a ZUKOnnect Fellow, you can use this time to extend your research networks and to get to know the research environment at the University of Konstanz while keeping your position at home. As these fellowships can build a first bridge to the German and European academic system, they also encourage doctoral students in their last year to apply. The Zukunftskolleg will not offer employment contracts for ZUKOnnect Fellows.
The Zukunftskolleg is an Institute for Advanced Study (IAS). It offers fellowships as well as a diverse support network to promote the independence of early career researchers. Researchers at the postdoctoral level can work with minimal administrative constraints and enjoy the freedom to engage in meaningful exchange with other up-and-coming colleagues as well as with distinguished senior researchers. Researchers in the humanities, social and natural sciences come to Konstanz from around the world to perform first-class research. The Zukunftskolleg is a keystone in the University of Konstanz’s institutional strategy and the University of Konstanz is one of Germany’s eleven Universities of Excellence.
- You will live in Konstanz or nearby throughout the on-site ZUKOnnect Fellowship (the Welcome Centre at the University of Konstanz will support you with all organizational aspects of relocating to Konstanz).
- During the digital affiliation and the on-campus research stay, you will actively contribute to the interdisciplinary dialogue at the Zukunftskolleg, e.g. during weekly Jour fixe meetings (in the semester).
- You will interact with fellows and researchers in relevant departments at the University of Konstanz.
- You will give a presentation in a seminar or a public lecture.
- You will acknowledge the Zukunftskolleg’s support in any publications resulting from the stay.
- You will write a short report on your activities and achievements (within 6 months of completing your ZUKOnnect Fellowship).
- During the on-campus research stay, a stipend of € 1,300/month for doctoral students and €2,000/month for postdoctoral researchers.
- Standard expenses for one economy-class trip to Konstanz and back.
- The chance to participate in events organized by the Zukunftskolleg.
- Access to library resources.
- Access to IT services.
- Access to research support services (via Research Support).
- ZUKOnnect Fellows will benefit from a digital affiliation extending the total period to 12 months. The digital affiliation will be supported with up to €900 (lump sum).
- German language course (online and on site to be confirmed for 2024)
- Career Kit Plus – weekly series of seminars and workshops offered by the University of Konstanz staff members or external trainers (e.g. open access, good practice in academic writing, career perspectives, funding opportunities, but also sight visits and other encounters) Programme for 2024 to be confirmed.
- “Fellows go Local” – ZUKOnnect meetings with fellows, staff, PhD students in town, helping to adjust in the local region supported by the Universitätsgesellschaft Konstanz.
- You are educated AND currently work in Latin America, Asia and/or Africa.
- You hold a doctorate (max. 2 years, doctoral degree granted after 15 February 2022) OR are a doctoral student in your final year.
- Your doctorate was/ is going to be completed at a university in Latin America, Asia or Africa.
- You do not hold a permanent professorship, nor do you have a habilitation or equivalent qualification (Venia legendi).
- Your research project fits to one of the disciplines represented at the University of Konstanz.
- Track A: You should name a researcher at the University of Konstanz – possibly a current Fellow of the Zukunftskolleg – with whom you intend to collaborate (do not contact person(s) in advance).
- Track B: Invitation to apply by a (Junior) Professor of the University of Konstanz and a nomination letter sent directly to [email protected] by 15 February 2024 (Don’t forget to upload application documents in the online portal!)
For more information, visit Zukunftskolleg Konnect Fellowships.