Are you an experienced technologist interested in working more deeply at the intersection of technology and social justice issues you care about? Apply now for the Mozilla Tech + Society Fellowship 2024.
This fellowship is focused on the intersection of technology and civil society and exists in part because of the power—and resource imbalance that public interest technologists and civil society organizations in the Global Majority are experiencing.
Critical civil society organizations fight inequality, protect the public, and partner with the public sector to serve the citizenry. In the era of ubiquitous technology, it’s paramount that civil society also work to address societal issues, as they converge with the digital world. Increasing collective impact at the intersection of technology and society will help fortify the relevance and sustainability of public interest movements and technologists —and help to advance a more human-centered internet.
Taking the whole person into consideration and recognizing that technology has a global terrain and is a global industry, they take the following approach to supporting fellows:
- Each fellow will receive a stipend of $60,000 USD/year
- In addition to the fellowship stipend, each fellow will also have access to personal supplements, which are intended to support an individual’s well-being.
- Fellows will also have access to supplemental funding to help advance their independent, aligned work.
In addition to funding, they also offer the following support and resources to Fellows:
- Expert Support: Fellows will have access to Mozilla Fellows and other experts in Mozilla’s network with relevant subject matter expertise.
- Cohort and Individual Support: Fellows will convene virtually as a cohort for group working and feedback sessions, peer-to-peer support, and/or workshops; and meet 1:1 with Mozilla staff for additional support.
- Community: Mozilla helps to facilitate connections for Fellows with like-minded leaders, partner organizations, alumni, and Mozilla staff.
- Showcasing Work: Mozilla holds an annual festival called MozFest which brings together artists, activists, thinkers, and builders working from around the world who are all working towards a healthier internet. This event provides a place and an opportunity to convene, facilitate, or curate in a way that helps fellows and awardees raise the issues that are most pressing for them and their communities.
- Communication Support: Mozilla’s Communications and Marketing Team provides a range of support for Fellows.
- Wellness benefits: Flexible funding for fellows to use for mental and physical health, childcare, or other needs.
- Travel support: Funding to facilitate participation in in-person events, meetings, and other project work
- Project and equipment budget: Budget to use toward furthering the fellows’ projects.
The fellowship is open to applications from experienced public interest technologists who meet the requirements of host organizations. Qualified applicants will:
- Have 5 or more years in technological-related fields.
- Be strategically minded and consultant-oriented with experience in identifying problems and solutions at the intersection of technology and social justice issues.
- Be proactive and motivated to share their work broadly, independently and through various communications channels.
- Be committed to carrying out fellowship work to an extent generally consistent with full-time engagement for up to a maximum of 2 years.
- Come from or have work authorization in the host organization’s country, and must have relevant cultural understanding of the host country.
All submissions must be in English. However, they encourage applicants to use free translation services. Applications will be reviewed based on their conceptual strength, not quality of language.
Deadline: January 22, 2024