Job Title: Technical Officer, Laboratory Services
Job Requisition ID: 2022200656
Locations: Akwa Ibom and Cross River
Job Type: Full time
Supervisor: Senior Technical Officer-Lab Services
- Liaise with the STO-Lab and the laboratory team at Country Office and the clusters to provide technical support and implement high-quality laboratory services within the states for FHI Nigeria programs including adherence to relevant professional standards and guidelines, and involvement with laboratory clinical governance issues and audits.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate and maintain oversight of the day-to-day operations of all laboratory services at the state level.
- Give technical support on the implementation, monitoring and quality assurance of laboratory services for HIV/AIDS, opportunistic (OI) and malaria care and treatment in collaboration with technical staff within FHI at state and local agencies in Nigeria.
- Coordinate the setting up of the ART laboratory service at the state level.
- Supervise laboratory quality assurance issues within the states.
- Coordinate the inventory management and stock-taking system at the facilities.
- Contribute to the development of lessons learned from programs and projects related to laboratory management of HIV/AIDS and apply these lessons to modify existing program and improve the design of new programs.
- Represent FHI Nigeria on issues of laboratory management of HIV/AIDS at the states.
- Remain informed on current programs in the field of laboratory management of HIV/AIDS and related development field by reviewing current literature and staying alert to any implication of such experience and research for department activities as outlined by the technical supervisor.
- Provide assistance in analysis of monitoring/audit results in order to identify service gaps, develop quality management plan and initiate, prioritize and deploy operational improvement measure with the laboratory team.
- Work closely with M&E and other lab staff to ensure that laboratory quality-related data e.g. proficiency testing and retesting are adequately captured in the DHIS, LMIS and LAMIS on time.
- Ensure that the test, controls and inspections are carried out and that personnel has access to all required quality-related documents.
- Systematically ensure that records of nonconformity of events reports at the states are kept and resolve non-conformities arising within the laboratory to completion.
- Monitor QA and QC activities of the Laboratory at the states in order to determine conformance with established policies, national regulations, or accreditation requirements.
- Coordinate the distribution of PT samples to respective facilities and timely collection and submission of results to PT providers
- Work closely with the lab facility staff to ensure that universal safety precautions are properly followed and biological waste from the labs and blood banks is properly disposed of.
- Provide technical assistance in capacity building for laboratory services to FHI and facility staff.
- Provide technical support on blood safety and laboratory quality assurance issues within FHI at state and local agencies in Nigeria.
- Coordinate the inventory management to ensure adequate stock and quality data capture in the DHIS.
- Monitor test kits utilization and utilization of other reagents in the FHI supported sites at the state level.
- Contribute to the development of lessons learned from programs and projects related to laboratory management of HIV/AIDS and apply these lessons and modify existing programs.
- Remain informed on current programs in the field of laboratory management of HIV/AIDS and related development fields by reviewing current literature and staying alert to any implication of such experience and research for department activities as outlined by the technical supervisor.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
- B.Sc in Laboratory Sciences or related field with 5-7 years post national youth service experience and a minimum of 3 years’ experience in the provision of laboratory support for HIV/AIDS.
- Or Master’s Degree in Laboratory Sciences or related field with 3-5 years post national youth service experience and a minimum of 3 years’ experience in the provision of laboratory support for HIV/AIDS.
- Proven ability and track record of implementation of Quality Assurance and Quality Control in a laboratory setting is a must.
- Knowledge of advanced laboratory procedures, diagnosis and management related to HIV/AIDS care and treatment is required with some experience in an international development organization preferred.
- Certification of license to practice as a medical laboratory scientist is required.
- Expertise in hematology, TB and blood safety issues will be an added advantage.
- Familiarity with Nigerian public sector health system and NGOs and CBOs highly desirable.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Knowledge of health and development programs in developing countries in general and Nigeria specifically.
- Laboratory management and training experience and ability to understand the full range of issues around the laboratory management of HIV/AIDS, including the provision of counseling and testing services.
- Excellent working knowledge of laboratory equipment and techniques for the identification and culturing of different TB species, and drug resistance tuberculosis (MDR-TB) and management issues related to mycobacterium Drug resistance Tuberculosis (MDR-TB).
- Thorough knowledge of QA, QC and proficiency testing concepts; ability to apply these concepts to resolve complex conditions in the laboratory and administrative settings.
- Knowledge of Laboratory Equipment and techniques for the following categories of assays: HIV rapid and confirmatory testing, hematology, biochemistry, CD4/CD8, HIV viral load, HIV DNA qualitative test, HIV viral resistance (genotype and phenotype) and management issues related to the clinical management of HIV/AIDS, including ART.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the social, political and ethical issues surrounding HIV infection.
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants and recipients of assistance.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- High degree of proficiency in written and spoken English communication.
- Well-developed computer skills.
- Ability to travel within Nigeria 25% time.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!