Job Title: TB M & E Surveillance Expert
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Starting Date: 10/18/2021
- Tuberculosis Data, Impact Assessment, and Communications Hub (TB DIAH) is a five-year Associate Award funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The objective of TB DIAH is to ensure optimal demand and analysis of both routine and non-routine TB data for decision-making and their appropriate use to support interventions, policies, and performance management of national governments, ministries of health, national TB programs, USAID and other stakeholders. TB DIAH is implemented by the Carolina Population Center, University of North Carolina (UNC) at Chapel Hill and sub-recipient John Snow Inc. (JSI)
- Over the years, JSI has also implemented a range of projects to strengthen the health system and improve pediatric health care and HIV and AIDS services, among others. Between 2009 and 2015, JSI’s Targeted States High Impact Project (TSHIP) increased access to maternal, newborn, and reproductive health and family planning services and increased community engagement to improve health outcomes in northern Nigeria’s Sokoto and Bauchi states.
- As an essential component of health systems strengthening, JSI has helped the government of Nigeria strengthens the supply chains for maternal and child health, HIV and AIDS, malaria, tuberculosis, and family planning commodities through a range of activities funded by USAID, UNFPA, and the Global Fund. Among its accomplishments, JSI has streamlined distribution systems across commodities and health programs and improved the government’s ability to plan for its commodity needs at both the national level and in a number of states. Our focus on supply chain optimization for HIV commodities in particular has unified 12 separate supply chains, reduced costs and improved performance, establishing a model for harmonization and integration across programs.
- In addition, JSI has provided the thought-leadership and technical assistance to apply private sector best practices at the state level, introducing vendor management inventory (VMI) direct delivery systems in Bauchi and Ebonyi states, and supporting business process reengineering and optimization of the essential drug program in Cross River State.
- The TB M&E and Surveillance expert will work in close collaboration with TBDIAH team, USAID/Nigeria, implementing partners, the National TB program and their sub-national counterparts as well as relevant TB stakeholders to improve the performance of the TB monitoring and evaluation (M&E) system in Nigeria.
- The M&E/Surveillance Expert will support the TB program’s efforts to ensure effective TB recording, reporting and surveillance through technically sound approaches.
- The expert will aim to strengthen the TB strategic information (SI) with a particular focus on improving the national-level data transparency, quality, and use in USAID’s priority states and other states where USAID contributes to and provides technical assistance.
Specific Responsibilities include:
- The TB M&E and Surveillance expert will be responsible to assist NTBLCP and stakeholders in their efforts to generate TB quality data for decision-making at all levels
- Assess NTBLCP’s M&E and surveillance system to identify gaps, weaknesses, bottlenecks in data management, and use the findings to develop interventions in improving the data management procedures
- Assist with monitoring the performance of high TB burden states through the analysis of core indicators.
- Proactively analyze TB data; develop data packages, reports, and slide decks on state and country level performances. Provide SI (data collection, analysis, reporting, and use) support to the USAID/Nigeria and NTBLCP.
- Research, plan, analyze, and organize technical and statistical information and use the information to develop policy briefings, publications, and reports.
- Respond in a timely manner to various data analysis requests by NTBLCP and USAID
- Facilitate the data management support to the USAID implementing partners to generate quality and evidence-based data for decision making and planning
- Collaborative with TBDIAH team to develop a roadmap with the goal of making the electronic TB-MIS the official reporting system.
- Work with TB M&E capacity building expert to conduct a NTBLCP-level training of trainers (TOT) on TB M&E, surveillance, and use of data for decision making
- Work collaborative with other TB DIAH team to effectively and efficiently implement the work plan and timely delivery of project deliverables and milestones
The following qualifications are required:
- Master’s Degree or higher in Public Health, Epidemiology, Biostatistics, or a related Social Science field is required. Applicability of the field of study to international TB Epidemiology is preferred. A degree in clinical medicine preferred.
- Minimum of seven (7) years’ relevant experience in TB disease surveillance strengthening, TB data collection and reporting, data quality and surveillance program improvements, with at least three (5) years’ experience in Nigeria.
- Demonstrated experience working with NTBLCP and other infectious disease control programs in developing countries.
- Sensitivity toward cultural diversity and an ability to work across various regions of the world.
- Ability to work independently, lead, and manage multiple activities.
- Ability to work effectively with TB DIAH project staff, USAID, implementing partners, other donors, and international organizations.
- Availability to travel within Nigeria.
- Strong interpersonal, diplomacy, organizational, oral, and written communication skills.
- Working proficiency in English.
- Expert must be based in Nigeria.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Application Closing Date
24th September, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their updated CV and Cover Letter to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
Click here to apply online
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!