Job Title: Supply Chain Specialist
Length of Contract: 3 years
Role type: National
Travel involved: Yes
Child safeguarding level: Tbc
Reporting to: Programme Director
Country and Project Background
The Nigeria Country Office in Abuja, started operations in 2008, through the DFID/UKaid funded Support to National Malaria Programme, SuNMaP (2008 – 2016). The office had presence in 23 states of the country and has managed at various times, about 15 programmes and projects.
It follows the mandate of the parent organization in Nigeria and has been working specifically in the following areas:
- Malaria control / elimination
- Integrated community case management (iCCM) for malaria, pneumonia and diarrhoea
- Neglected tropical diseases (NTDs)
Malaria Consortium is a sub-recipient for the new grant of the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (GF) under the National Malaria Elimination Programme (NMEP) and Catholic Relief Services as the principal recipients.
The goal of the grant is to contribute towards reducing the malaria burden to pre-elimination levels and bringing malaria-related mortality to zero by 2025 in Nigeria.
This project aims to achieve five objectives while delivering high quality malaria services in 14 states (MC implementing in 7 of the states – Kano, Kaduna, Jigawa, Niger, Yobe, and iCCM only in Jigawa and Niger) through improved service delivery mechanisms, demand creation and health system strengthening strategies:
- Improve access and utilization of vector control interventions to at least 80% of targeted population by 2025.
- Ensure provision of chemoprevention, diagnosis and appropriate treatment for 80% of the target populations at risk by 2025
- Improve generation of evidence for decision making and impact through reporting of quality malaria data and information from at least 80% of health facilities (public and private) and other data sources including surveillance, surveys and operations research by 2025.
- Strengthen coordination, collaboration, and strategic partnership to promote efficiency and effectiveness of malaria control activities towards achieving at least 75% improvement from baseline using a standardized OCA tool.
- Improve funding for malaria control by at least 25% annually through predictable and innovative sources to ensure sustainability at federal and sub-national levels.
- The Supply Chain Specialist will work to ensure that all drugs and commodities received for the GF programme are properly documented, distributed and accounted for as per the signed agreements and in a timely manner.
- The Specialist would liaise very closely with the donors, principal recipients (PR), third party logistics (3PL), State Ministry of Health (SMoH), health facility staff and other stakeholders in quantifications, distribution plans, last mile distribution and management/reporting of all donated drugs and commodities.
- S/he would ensure that all drugs and commodities recompilation data are collected, analyzed and available on time.
Scope of Work
Under the supervision of the Programme Director, the incumbent is responsible to:
- Support the efforts on improving MC supply chain implementing, monitoring and performance measurement
- Coordinate activities of all drugs and commodities procurement for MC in Nigeria in the programme states
- Support the provision of technical assistance to government partners to identify their bottlenecks in collecting, communicating and using data to improve their drug and commodities supply chain system (National, state, LGAs and health facility and community levels)
Key Working Relationships:
- The Supply Chain Specialist will be a member of the programme implementation team and report to the Programme Director and other project staff in delivering programme work plan.
Supply Chain (70%):
- Ensuring that the supply chain team meets the needs of the programmes in a timely manner and does so in accordance with donor requirements, MC policies and procedures
- Verify that supply chain policies and procedures are documented, disseminated and consistently applied within the state of operation; and updated when needed
- Confirm that storage facilities comply to warehousing standards
- Responsible for assets and inventory management meeting programme needs, eliminate losses and inform accurate and timely reporting
- Ensure that compliance monitoring processes are developed and effectively implemented
- Work with programme staff to ensure procurement planning and identification of operational support needs
- Ensure proper tracking of master agreements and contracts to ensure availability of up to date and accurate information
Coordination / Feedback (20%):
- Ensure smooth relationship with Country Office Commodity Manager
- Provide regular feedback to the country Commodity Manager in a timely manner.
Capacity Building and Partners Support (10%):
- Organise and provide support to SMoH on supply chain management at state, LGA and health facility/community levels to improve commodity recording and reporting
Qualifications and Experience
- Very strong background in Supply Chain and Logistics, and field management and coordination
- A First Degree in Pharmacy, Logistics Management or similar field
- Experience in managing security in a hostile environment
- Experience managing a medical supply chain
- 3 years’ project management experience with proven experience as Operation Office or relevant role
Work-based skills and Competencies:
- Strong analytical skills
- Proven writing skills in English
- Ability to work effectively and sensitively in developing countries
- A collaborative and flexible style, with a strong service mentality
- Negotiation, Facilitation and coordination skills
- Demonstrable passion for Malaria Consortium’s mission; a strategic manager with integrity and a desire to work in a dynamic environment
- Excellent computer skills in Excel and knowledge and use of database tools.
LEVEL B – Takes on pieces of work when required and demonstrates excellent project management skills:
- Shows a flexible approach to taking on additional work/ responsibilities when needed to achieve results
- Demonstrates excellent project management skills to agreed timescales (timelines, targets, donor requirements)
- Makes clear and timely decisions within remit of own role.
Analysis and Use of Information:
LEVEL B – Uses evidence to support work
- Identifies and uses various sources of evidence and feedback to support outputs
- Uses evidence to evaluate policies, projects and programmes
- Identifies links between events and information identifying trends, issues and risks
- Ensures systems are in place to address organization needs.
Interpersonal and Communications:
LEVEL C – Adapts communications effectively
- Tailors communication (content, style and medium) to diverse audiences
- Communicates equally effectively at all organizational levels
- Understands other’s underlying needs, concerns and motivations and communicates effectively in sensitive situations
- Resolves intra-team and inter-team conflicts effectively.
Collaboration and Partnering:
LEVEL B – Collaborates effectively across teams
- Proactive in providing and seeking support from expert colleagues
- Raises difficult issues with teams/ partners and stakeholders with a view to positive resolution
- Proactive in building a rapport with a diverse range of people.
Leading and Motivating People:
LEVEL B – Manages own development and seeks opportunities
- Actively manages own development and performance positively
- Learns lessons from successes and failures
- Seeks and explores opportunities within Malaria Consortium which develop skills and expertise.
Flexibility / Adaptability:
LEVEL B – Remains professional under external pressure
- Able to adapt to changing situations effortlessly
- Remains constructive and positive under stress and able to tolerate difficult situations and environments
- Plans, prioritizes and performs tasks well under pressure
- Learns from own successes/ mistakes
Living the Values:
LEVEL C – Supports others to live Malaria Consortium’s values
- Demonstrates personal integrity by using role position responsibly and fairly
- Cultivates an open culture within the wider team, promoting accountability, responsibility and respect for individual differences
Strategic Planning and Thinking and Sector Awareness
LEVEL B – Is aware of others’ activities and vice versa in planning activities
- Takes account of team members’ and others’ workload when planning
- Maintains awareness of impact on other parts of the organization, keeping abreast of others’ activities, objectives, commitments and needs
- Has a good understanding of the sector in which Malaria Consortium works
Application Closing Date
19th February, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!
- Minimum Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Location Abuja, Abuja, Abuja