The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Shelter Technical Assistant
Webcruiter ID: 4282807865
Location: Damasak, Borno
Employer: Norwegian Refugee Council
Employment Type: Contract
Reports to: The Shelter Officer
- NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015, in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in Maiduguri and a coordination office in Abuja.
- NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH); Livelihoods and Food Security; Information, Counseling and Legal Assistance (ICLA), Education and Camp Coordination Camp Management in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
- NRC is looking for a Shelter Technical Assistant for our Field Office in Damasak, Borno State, in North East Nigeria. The purpose of the position is day to day implementation of the Shelter Project activities in Damasak.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Assist with the implementation of the support function portfolio according to plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function
- Pre-evaluation of needs (Targeting, Needs Assessment, Beneficiary Identification & Selection) and alert the hierarchy of any population movement in the area.
- Provide technical support and orientation to local technicians and community workers, train and develop their capacity
- Implement shelter construction activities, conduct technical assessment and approval of quality of work and ensure better management of remaining material.
- Conduct community sensitization, awareness and mobilization to encourage beneficiary commitment to the shelter activities.
- With the support of the Shelter Officer and Shelter coordinator, provide the drafts of technical drawings, Bill of Quantity, site plan and technical specification notes for shelter projects.
- Alert the Shelter Officer for any potential need of modification on construction designs or for any unpredictable soil constraints identified.
- Assist the shelter officer to accurately control movement of trucks, quantities and qualities of materials supplied to site.
- Establish local committees for shelter project
- Maintain good working relationships with local authorities, local communities, local committees and partners as well as with all stakeholders in NRC area of intervention
- Ensure the participation of female workers in key positions in the construction / rehabilitation of shelters and community infrastructures and other shelter activities
- Represent NRC in field coordination meeting when required.
- University Degree in Civil Engineering or Architecture
- Experience on implementation of emergency shelter activities
- Experience in household sensitization and training in shelter and infrastructure maintenance
- Familiarity with AutoCAD, GPS, ARC GIS, and Google Earth
Context knowledge and experience:
- Knowledge of the context in North-Eastern Nigeria
- Knowledge of the local language Kanuri, Hausa
- Handling insecure environments
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance and development
- Planning and delivering results
- Communicating with impact and respect – All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and Accountable.
We Can Offer
- Commencement: September 2020
- Duration: 4 months till December 2020 (renewable)
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions: Grade Level 4 Step 1 in the NRC Grade Structure
- Duty Station: Damasak, Borno State
- An approved health certificate will be requested before the contract start.
Application Closing Date
9th September, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Application Procedures and CV Registration
- Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the “Company name” field for both company and location.
- Nigeria Nationals Only
You May Also Like
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!