The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Shelter Coordinator
Webcruiter ID: 4275120554
Location: Yola, with frequent travels. Travel outside Maiduguri is dependent on changing security conditions, especially for certain roads in the area
Full-time / part-time: Full-time
Employment type: Contract
Percentage of full-time: 100
Duration: 10 months
Commencement: 1st October, 2020
Level: Grade 7 in the NRC grade structure
- NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015, in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in Borno and Adamawa states and a coordination office in Abuja. NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH); Livelihoods & Food Security; Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA), Education and Camp Management in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
- NRC is looking for a Shelter Coordinator for our area office South in Northern Nigeria. The purpose of the Shelter Coordinator is to implement shelter activities in Yola and support the implementation of Shelter activities in the field offices.
- The Shelter Coordinator reports to the Area Manager – South.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Line management of Shelter project field staff
- Contribute to Shelter strategy development, project proposals and provide input on needs and gaps
- Manage and implement delegated portfolio of Shelter projects (activities, budget and project documentation) as delegated from PDM in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements, and ensure high technical quality
- Provide regular progress reports to PDM
- Promote and share ideas for improvement and necessary changes in the activities
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills
- Promote the rights of IDPs / returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Ensure project data collection and management and work closely with M&E to update relevant NRC tools (GORS, Internal Database, achievement and progress of project log frames)
- Contribute to the design of technical implementation documents for Shelter projects
- Contribute to donor reports
- Contribute to finding solutions to implementation challenges and constraints in a changing context
- Regular visits to the area and sites of implementation for quality checks the of the ongoing and completed works, make correction and provide relevant recommendations.
- Record and document good practices, lesson learned and establish a database in coordination with M&E to capture Shelter program performance.
- In coordination with the shelter PDM, represent NRC in coordination meetings with local authorities and NGOs when required
- University Degree in Civil Engineering or any related field
- Minimum 3 years’ experience from working with / NFI, houses construction / repair projects in a humanitarian / recovery context.
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- University degree in civil engineering or architecture
- Experience household training in and infrastructure maintenance
- Knowledge of the context in North-Eastern Nigeria
- Knowledge of the local language Kanuri, Hausa
- Knowledge of emergency, transitional and permanent construction requirements and protocols
- Familiarity with international minimum standards of service delivery (i.e., SPHERE) is an advantage
- Familiarity with AutoCAD, GPS, ARC GIS and Google Earth is strongly desirable
- Experience with start-up, exit or similar
- Handling insecure environments
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance and development
- Planning and delivering results
- A good sense of humour is an asset
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
We Can Offer
- Salary / benefits: According to NRC’s general directions.
- Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start.
Application Closing Date
29th August, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Application Procedures and CV Registration / Notice
- Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the “Company name” field for both company and location.
- The position is for Nigerian Nationals only
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!