Job Title: Senior Project Assistant (MECC)
Employment Type: Special Short–Term (SST) 6 months with possibility of extension.
- Under the direct supervision of the IOM Nigeria Chief of Mission, and overall and thematic supervision of the Regional Thematic Specialist on Migration, Environment and Climate Change for West and Central Africa and the Project Manager, the Senior Project Assistant will support the effective and efficient implementation of the West Africa regional activities in partnership with ECOWAS in the Migration, Environment and Climate Change (MECC) project on “Implementing Global Policies on Environmental Migration and Disaster Displacement in West Africa”. In particular, he/she will carry out the following duties:
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Support the implementation of knowledge and policy related activities including research and present information and reference materials from various sources for reports, plans, studies, briefings, trainings, meetings/conferences etc.
- Review and draft variety ofstandard papers and other reports using various platforms. Proofread documents and edit text and / or numerical values for accuracy, style, and adherence to established format standards.
- Support the IOM – ECOWAS liaison and coordination for the project and its alignment with other national and regional projects of IOM (Draft concept note, agenda, official letters, talking points, project updates note for files etc).
- Monitor project activities, related schedules and processes, verify and update accuracy of documents, reports, preparation of monthly, quarterly or annual activity reviews, impact assessments, process and operations monitoring, and lessons-learned workshops to facilitate compliance with relevant guidance materials.
- Coordinate with the IOM Regional Office for West and Central Africa, including with the Dakar-based MECC Senior Project Assistants and the Regional Thematic Specialist (RTS) on the alignment of national projects with ECOWAS Regional priorities.
- Assist in the facilitation of regional meetings / workshops/ training among the different components of the project together with ECOWAS Directorate of Free Movement and Environment.
- Maintain communication and coordination with the three ECOWAS Directorates (Free Movement, Environment and Humanitarian and Social Affairs) as well as other IOM country offices and project partners.
- Develop a system for proper documentation, review, filing, handling, and archiving of project documents and related documents and communication and make recommendations to improve filing and documentation.
- Assist in tracking of project expenditures in liaison with the Resource Management Office and in the preparation of monthly funding requests for the project activities.
- Assist in the planning, preparation and implementation of seminars, conferences, workshops, meetings and missions related to the project e.g arrangements and note takings during meetings and other events, conference reservations, budget drafting and follow up, procurement and logistics follow up etc).
- Support the project development and donor reporting through elaboration and revision of the programmes/projects log frame / result matrix on a continuous basis, provide inputs in the areas of the objective hierarchy, indicators and monitoring mechanisms.
- Perform coordinated administrative task including the preparation and /or processing of administrative requests/documents e.g Purchase requisition, request for payments, travel requests, contracts, e.t.c.
- Act as the IOM Nigeria focal point for all activities related to the MECC project.
- Contribute to strengthening the synergies of the other ongoing regional policy and communication activities.
- Undertake duty travel as required.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Job Requirements, Skills, and Competencies
- Undergraduate degree in Social Sciences, Migration Studies, International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution with minimum 4years of relevant professional experience.
- Minimum four(4) years of professional experience particularly in the field of West Africa regional migration management, regional dialogue process and policy development or related.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Economic Community for West African States (ECOWAS) Commission and its Member States guiding protocols and frameworks for regional integration and regional migration dynamics and issues.
- Prior experience in the migration, environment and climate change sector would be an advantage.
- Experience in supporting all aspects of project management including, project development, finance, administrative and procurement roles, dialogue and conference / workshop / training facilitation roles.
- Experience with working on multi country projects, international humanitarian organizations, non-governmental or governmental institutions / organizations in a multi-cultural setting.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective and working relations with regional networks and other stakeholder.
- Strong planning, coordination and logistics skills related to implementation of project activities.
- Good communication skills.
- High level of computer literacy (Word, Outlook, Excel, Power Point).
- Ability to independently carry out tasks.
- Ability to multi-task and to prioritize required.
- Ability to work effectively with government counterparts.
- Good representational skills.
- Fluency in English and French required, working knowledge of Portuguese an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for divers it respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles / rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioral indicators level 2:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioral indicators level 2:
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example, and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: work strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Application Closing Date
19th April, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their Applications to: [email protected]m.int Using the “SVN2021.029 Senior Project Assistant (MECC)” as the subject of the mail.
In order for the applications to be considered valid, International Organization for Migration (IOM) only accepts applications with a Cover Letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM).
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station and within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, confirmation of all documents, and security clearances.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!