Job Title: Senior Medical Officer
Division: EHA Clinics
Reports to: Practice and Quality Assurance Manager
Summary of Job
- The Senior Medical Officer will perform a range of functions including but not limited to; initial history taking, clinical assessments, diagnosis, treatment, and evaluation of care. S/he must demonstrate critical thinking in the clinical decision-making process, especially in assessing and diagnosing patients, leading to the delivery of safe care for all patients. The successful candidate will work collaboratively with the healthcare team and the Management Team to meet the needs of the patients, supporting the delivery of policy and procedures. S/he will have a supervisory role on medical doctors within the clinic and ensure that policies and procedures are upheld.
- The Senior Medical Officer will also review and act appropriately on blood results and referrals/correspondence regarding patients. In addition, S/he will be expected to occasionally carry out some home visits to patients registered on the Membership Scheme
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- To perform this role successfully, the Medical Doctor will perform the following responsibilities in relation to all clinics which will include but are not limited to:
- Participate in all treatment and preventative healthcare services as delegated and agreed by the supervising Practice Manager(s).
- Provide direct clinical care to patients using established clinical guidelines.
- Interview patients, take medical histories, perform physical examinations, analyze, diagnose and explain medical problems during surgery consultations and home visits.
- Consult, recommend and explain appropriate diagnostic tests and treatment.
- Request and interpret the results of laboratory investigations when necessary.
- Perform specialized diagnostic physical exams and treatment procedures.
- Instruct and educate patients in preventative health care.
- Conduct telephone consultations which may involve discussing results and implications of laboratory investigations with patients as well as dealing appropriately with routine and emergency complaints.
- Order laboratory tests as required and agreed under supervising Medical Director.
- Fully document all aspects of patient care and complete all required paperwork for legal and administrative purposes.
- Contribute to clinical development by developing a special interest and help establish appropriate systems to manage common chronic medical conditions, ensuring compliance with approved standard treatment guidelines.
- Participate fully in the clinicians’ duty rota including the provision of home visits when appropriate.
- Oversight of medical doctors activities including but not limited to assessing the appropriateness of patient management, decisions on referral, and review of medical charts
- Formulate diagnosis and treatment plans, in consultation with or referring to Supervising doctor(s) as appropriate.
- Give clinical instructions to the nursing staff and other clinical care teams as required.
- Communicate when necessary with colleagues in Clinical care and hospital specialists in order to discuss or refer specific patients, plan and coordinate activities, or exchange information in order to improve the quality of patient care.
- Deal regularly with community hospitals, consultants and other health care providers, insurance companies, and other community organizations to refer/consult on specific cases, participate in community service and education projects and activities, and the like.
- Assist in clinical instruction and supervision of medical and nursing staff as well as other interns/student doctors that may periodically be attached to the clinics, including the educational development and mentoring of these individuals.
- Support clinical research and efforts within the EHA Clinics leading to the publication of papers
- Attend regular educational meetings organized by the practice in order to update clinical knowledge, practice policy, and guidelines and disseminate other useful information relevant to the provision of adequate healthcare for patients in order to discuss in a bid to learn from recent significant events relating to clinical practice occurring within the clinics.
- Develop a curriculum for continuing professional development for doctors under their supervision.
- Regularly reflect on own practice (and keep a record of learning encounters) in order to identify learning needs and encourage self-directed lifelong learning and continued professional development.
- Send and receive written information on behalf of the clinic regarding matters of insurance and other issues relating to the physical and social welfare of patients.
- EHA Clinics requires all staff to keep their knowledge and skills up to date
- S/he is expected to continue to learn throughout their career at EHA Clinics through continuing professional development (CPD). The professional body relating to specialist areas will have information on the type of CPD to be carried out and how much should be completed each year.
Key Areas of Note:
- Ensure continuing education, training, and development is undertaken to meet clinical governance guidelines for Continuing Professional Development and a Personal Development Plan.
- Keep up to date with relevant medical research, technology, and evidence-based medical practice by attending continuing education courses and professional meetings, reading journals, etc.
- Perform a variety of research and analysis tasks associated with improvement of clinical care, medical diagnosis, and treatment where appropriate.
- Audit of clinical practice and review of relevant literature.
- Research unusual symptoms and treatment options, through consultation with physicians and other medical specialists.
- Provide literature reviews and the like; review, analyze and determine the significance of a variety of diagnostic test results.
Qualifications & Training
- Degree In Medicine – Minimum qualification of Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery in any Global, National or State recognized University and conforming to the guidelines as set out by the Medical and Dental Association of Nigeria.
- At least 2+ years’ foundation program of general training
- Up-to-date registration and license from the MDCN
- Minimum of seven (7) years experience as a doctor in a clinical setting. Previous experience in a supervisory role is desirable
Key Skills and Attributes:
- Computer literacy
- Excellent Communication
- Working Under Pressure
- Humane, Empathetic, and Supportive Bedside Manner
- Leadership and Teamwork
- Problem solving and Initiative
- Time Management and Organization
- Attention to Detail.
- Competitive salary scale based on improvements from the CONMESS and CONHESS salary structures as well as surveys from top private hospitals in Nigeria. Salary is negotiable but performance-based. Base salary constitutes 70%, while 30% is a bonus based on predefined individual performance indicators and monthly organizational performance.
- Other Benefits
- The following benefits are available with this offer of employment:
- Health Insurance: EHA Clinics will cover medical expenses for yourself, your spouse, and up to two dependents. Further details are contained in the Nigeria Addendum to the EHA Clinics Employee Handbook.
- Group Life Assurance: EHA Clinics provides life insurance for you as an employee. This insurance is payable in the event of your death. The effective date of coverage will be upon successful completion of your probationary period.
- Group & Personal Accident: EHA Clinics provides Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance (ADD) for you as our employee. AD&D covers death by accidental means (rather than natural causes) and dismemberment. The effective date of coverage is your hire date.
- Pension: EHA Clinics supports employee retirement preparation and investment by paying a 10% pension contribution on top of the statutory pension contribution of 8% that is already factored into your salary.
- Annual Leave: You are entitled to 21 days paid annual leave accrued at 1.75 days / month. Employees may begin scheduling leave with their direct supervisor upon successful completion of their probationary period.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!