African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Health Analyst, AHHD0
Location: Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50001214
- The Vice Presidency for ‘Agriculture, Human, and Social Development’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten-Year Strategy High 5s priorities of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
- The complex objectives are (i) to develop policy and strategy; (ii) provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by gathering pools of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide sector expertise on complex transactions; and (iii) develop new financing instruments. The Vice President will act as the spokesperson to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on aspects of “Feed Africa” and Improve Quality of Life for the People.
The Hiring Departement / Division
- The Human Capital, Youth and Skills Development Department, within the Agriculture, Human and Social Development Complex, spearheads the achievement of the High 5s on “Improving the Quality of Life of People in Africa” and contributes to the other High 5s. The Department also leads on the implementation of the Bank wide Jobs for Youth in Africa Strategy. The Department has two divisions (i) Education, Human Capital and Employment Division, which focuses on scaling-up of Bank’s support to higher education and skills development; and (ii) Public Health, Security and Nutrition Division, which focuses on strengthening health systems, social protection and nutrition for human wellbeing.
- In the regions, Human Capital, Youth and Skills Development Department has a Regional Division which covers West and Central countries. This Regional Division focuses on Pipeline development, Lending delivery, and Portfolio management for all social sector (Education, Health, Social Protection, Youth Employment) in West and Central countries. It also develops Coordination, Client Relations and Partnerships in these countries.
The Health Analyst reports to the Regional Sector Manager, West and Central regions. The Health Analyst will support the Bank’s health agenda with the following main responsibilities:
- Propose and plan, on an annual and tri-annual basis, health lending and technical assistance programs for health sector development in the Regional Member Countries (RMCs) (including needs for co-financing with other institutions, countries and the private sector);
- Act as the link between the Bank and the Governments of RMCs for operational activities pertaining to the health sector;
- Conduct technical and sectoral studies and analysis in preparation of Bank Group lending for health sector development;
- Provide technical assistance and advice to Borrowing Countries on health sector development problems and priorities, and on the technical aspects of projects; and,
- Identify, prepare, appraise and assist in the implementation of Bank-financed health projects.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Regional Sector Manager, the Health Analyst shall perform the following key functions:
- Provide technical advice/assistance to RMCs to develop their health sector;
- Contribute to the development of the Bank Group health sector policy and provide technical advice/guidance to introduce and monitor the implementation of the policy;
- Contribute to the preparation of Country Strategy Papers and Portfolio Review reports,
- with particular emphasis on health sector development;
- Identify, prepare and evaluate health projects and programmes, together with multisector projects and programmes in RMCs;
- Identify and coordinate the co-financing needs of the Division’s projects/programmes and make funding proposals;
- Supervise portfolio projects in accordance with Bank rules and procedures;
- Perform project completion missions with a view to preparing project completion reports;
- Conduct project preparation and appraisal missions in the health sector;
- Provide support to the Regional Sector Manager, to supervise staff, monitor the portfolio, the loan programme and the Division’s indicators;
- Support the Regional Sector Manager in monitoring and achieving the target indicators, and in monitoring projects managed by other colleagues;
- Represent the Division and the Department in meetings and events related to the health sector within the Bank, and externally;
- Develop partnerships with other multilateral and/or bilateral development institutions on health aspects;
- Carry out other technical tasks and coordination as required by the Regional Sector or the Director of the Department.
- A minimum of a Master’s degree or its university equivalent in Health;
- A minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience in planning, administration or project management of health sector;
- Strong research/analytical skills in one of the following areas: social development policy formulation, project management, or donors’ coordination, with ability to strategically and rapidly analyze and integrate diverse information from varied sources into conclusions and recommendation;
- In-depth knowledge of health, political and development issues in RMCs;
- Solid experience in project cycle management (identification, preparation, appraisal, supervision and completion);
- Ability to understand complex problems in health, social development, gender and human development, to identify key issues and recommend pragmatic solutions;
- Good knowledge of the health social development systems, and human development issues in the country;
- Strong understanding of multi-sector approaches and gaps in health and social development
- Demonstrable knowledge of analysis and formulation of policies in sectors.
- Knowledge of the practices of major bilateral and multilateral agencies, development partners in the country will be an asset.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and/or French, with a working knowledge of the other language;
- Competence in the use of standard MS Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project); Knowledge of SAP would be an advantage.
Application Closing Date
20th September, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Information / Notice
- This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct [email protected] (link sends e-mail)
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!