Job Title: Senior Advisor for Education in Conflict
Locations: Abuja (FCT) & Borno
Category: Program Management
- We are seeking a Senior Advisor for Education in Conflict for an anticipated donor-funded project in Nigeria.
- The Senior Advisor for Education in Conflict is responsible for ensuring that children and youth in activity-supported schools and communities achieve improved learning outcomes in selected subjects, including literacy and numeracy, and social emotional learning.
- S/he will provide technical leadership and support to program staff and stakeholders to drive improvements in children’s educational opportunities and performance.
- S/he will lead efforts to improve educational quality in target regions/districts through the development of foundational curriculum in literacy and numeracy, teacher training and professional development support, student assessment, and support for students’ and teachers’ wellbeing and engagement.
Reporting & Supervision:
- The Senior Advisor for Education in Conflict will report to the Chief of Party (COP) and provide technical leadership and support for technical education field officers.
- Supervise the implementation of educational activities and provide technical support and guidance to program staff in targeted regions / districts;
- Provide technical leadership and ensure complementarity of activity approaches in training, literacy, numeracy, and socio-emotional learning across the geographic areas;
- Provide technical inputs into the implementation of inclusive education activities and ensures that activities and approaches across geographic areas are equitable, address the needs of underserved populations and those in need of inclusive education;
- Ensure the curriculum for older children and youth cultivates agency via community service learning and action civics;
- Provide technical leadership related classroom and supplemental learning materials
- Provide technical inputs and leadership for the implementation of key assessments and research and assist with the process of development and field testing to validate instruments, analyze results and adapt instruments;
- Supervise and provide quality assurance to the production of activity-supported materials, trainings, coaching, and student testing efforts;
- Liaise with government representatives and technicians and other stakeholders on technical matters;
- Maintain regular communication with the project field staff and COP;
- Responsible for management, leadership, and mentorship of technical staff.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- A Master’s degree (or foreign equivalent) in Education, Education Administration, Supervision, Development Studies, Political Science, Conflict Resolution, Public Administration, or a related field from an accredited university;
- At least seven (7) years of experience managing an aspect of early grade literacy projects in formal or non-formal education settings, including two (2) years of experience working on conflict programs;
- Prior experience with the development and implementation of evidence-based education materials, and preferably materials in local languages, training programs, classroom monitoring protocols, and tests and assessments;
- Deep understanding of principles and concepts of literacy, numeracy and socio-emotional learning, and tools to assess those skills;
- Demonstrated experience improving evidence-based education programming including to rural, ethnolinguistic, and underserved populations;
- Able to translate complex, technical concepts to a range of stakeholders, with differing levels of knowledge; and
- Proficient and fluent in written and spoken English; strong oral and written communication skills;
- Experience working in education programs in conflict- affected contexts required.
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- Expertise in conflict assessment and mapping, managing complex partnerships and cross-cutting projects, local and national institutional building;
- Prior experience with supporting civil-society and parental engagement of reading is preferred, but not required;
- Prior experience in developing gender sensitive and inclusive education activities; and
- Experience working in Northern Nigeria.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!
- Minimum Qualification MBA/MSc/MA
- Location Abuja (FCT) & Borno