Job Title: Senior Accountant
Report: Directly to the Financial Controller
The Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) is implementing a three- year IFAD-assisted Value Chain Development Programme Additional Financing (VCDP AFi), as a follow-up to the successful six (6) – year Value Chain Development Programme (VCDP), in nine (9) participating states (Anambra, Benue, Ebonyl, Enugu, Kogi, Nasarawa, Taraba, Niger and Ogun). The Programme’s goal is: “Rural Poverty reduced, food security increased and accelerated economic growth achieved.” The VCDP, which was approved for an IFAD loan of USD744 million in 2012, aimed to directly improve the livelihood of approximately 17,480 households (15,000 small holder farmers, i,68o processors and 800 traders) and to benefit indirectly approximately 22,000 households.
In 2018, IFAI) approved an Additional Financing (AF1) of IJSD 89.1 million to: (i) expand VCDP activities to three (3) new states – Enugu, Kogi and Nasarawa – and to a total of 57 meal Government Areas (LOAs) from 30 LGAs at the Mid-term Review (MTR) of VCDP, in the entire nine states; and (ii) support the mainstreaming of issues that were not considered at the design of VCDP, consistent with national and IFAI) policies; climate-smart agricultural practices; conflict mitigation as the conflict increases between farmers and herdsmen for land resources; nutrition and financial inclusion.
The VCDP -AF1 focuses on enhancing the productivity and profitability of smallholder farmers (who cultivate not more than 5ha of land under rice/cassava) and small/medium-scale agro-processors (with processing capacity of an average of 2MT/day for cassava and 4MT/day for rice) by improving their access to markets, and capacity to increase yield as well as add value to locally produced raw materials through improved processing and packaging. The programme is being implemented through three mutually reinforcing components; Agricultural Market Development, Small holder Productivity Enhancement and Programme Management and Coordination.
Details of the Contract
- Two-year contract, renewable based on satisfactory performance acceptable to FGN and IFAD.
- The Senior Accountant will work under the direct supervision of the Financial Controller.
- The Senior Accountant will work under the direct supervision of the Financial Controller in close collaboration with the State Accountants for the implementation of accounting systems consistent with international accounting standards and principles and Government requirements to ensure proper use of funds in line with the respective legal agreements.
- Prepare Programme’s Financial Statements on:
- Ensure accuracy of computations and completeness of payment request at the NPMU in terms of:
- Receiving approval for payments
- Uploading of payment on remittal platform
- Checking of retirements by staff
- Checking of contract documents for completeness and implementation support
- Check vouchers coming from the participating States for completeness:
- Account payables
- Goods received and issued to user departments
- Participate in financial management monitoring in the participating States and visits to sites.
- Checking of postings and generation of reports on flexible accounting software for correctness/completeness of entries in conjunction with the Financial Controller.
- Facilitate preparation, processing and replenishment, reimbursement or direct payment of SOF,s and Withdrawal Applications in conjunction with the Financial Controller.
- Any other tasks that might be assigned to him/her by the Financial Controller.
Qualification and Work Experience
- First Degree in Accountancy or relevant
- Professional qualification in Accountancy
- Minimum of five (3) years post-qualification work experience Familiarity with Flexible Accounting Softwage
- Must be computer literate
- Experienced working with Donor Assisted Projects and firms is an added advantage
- Possession of professional qualifications in Accounting is an added advantage
- Good knowledge / experience of rural development challenges and dynamics
- Note: Qualified and experienced women are encouraged to apply.
Application Closing Date
12Noon; 4th May, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Expression of Interest (EOI) in 10 copies including one original and nine photocopies, properly sealed and clearly marked at the top right hand cover “Expression of Interest (EOI) for the Recruitment of Officers under FGN / IFAD-VCDP Project.” Each envelope should indude a CV and an application letter with cover letter suited for the position being applied for. The sealed envelope should be addressed and delivered to:
The Permanent Secretary,
Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development,
C / O Director, Projects Coordinating Unit (PCU),
No.1, Eldoret Close, Off Aininu Kano Crescent,
Wuse II – Abuja.
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!
- Minimum Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Location Abuja, Abuja