Job Title: Rice Seed Breeder
Function: Not Applicable
Sub-Function: Not Applicable
- The Rice Breeder, under immediate supervision of the General Manager / Business head. He / She will undertake activities related to the breeding pipelines development for Olam Rice Farm.
- Develop high yielding varieties corresponding to desired product profiles, in close collaboration with farm and mill teams, by combining good agronomic traits, desirable grain quality, and tolerance / resistance to abiotic and biotic stresses through conventional breeding approach.
- Plans and carries out breeding studies to develop and improve varieties of Rice: Improves specific characteristics, such as yield, quality, maturity, and resistance to drought, disease and insect pests in plants, utilizing principles of genetics and knowledge of plant growth.
- Produce pure parent line, breeder and foundation seed for multiplication.
- Breeds plants, using methods such as inbreeding, crossbreeding, backcrossing, outcrossing and selection.
- Select progeny having desired characteristics and continues breeding and selection process to reach desired objectives.
- Lead the testing of advanced breeding lines developed at inhouse Center for various breeding product segments (Early duration, Mid duration, long grains, High amylose content, High yielding germplasm)
- Coordinate with external stakeholders (Private organization/Public institutes) for new germplasm introduction and breeding collaborations.
- Facilitate varietal release and adoption at farm and create demand for superior varieties;
Qualifications / Selection Criteria Education and work experience:
- PhD in Breeding, Genetics or other related fields with a minimum of 2-year experience in Rice breeding; or M.Sc. in Breeding, Genetics or other related fields with a minimum of 5-year experience in Rice breeding in a reputed seed company or research institution.
Knowledge and Key Competencies:
- Highly self-motivated, detail-oriented, and innovative;
- Strong record of innovation and process improvement in breeding;
- Excellent knowledge of statistics in field experimental design and data analysis;
- Good project management, communication and interpersonal skills;
- Strong scientific writing skills;
- Ability to work in multicultural environments;
- The candidate should communicate fluently (oral and writing) in English.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!