Okapi Consulting is an organization based in Johannesburg focusing on research and media issues in conflict fragile contexts. Okapi consulting has had presence in Nigeria since 2015.
Okapi creates programmes in the Kanuri language for Radio Ndarason International (RNI) which broadcasts from Ndjamena, Chad to the entire Lake Chad basin region in Kanuri, Kanembu, Buduma and French on shortwave and FM, as well as via live-streaming. The station provides a platform that allows for the free-flow of information throughout the Lake Chad basin, regardless of borders or physical barriers.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Regional Programme Producer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Reports To: Project Manager
Responsible For: Production of Regional Programme
Start Date: October, 2020
General Position Summary
- The Producer will participate in Programme planning, contacts, invitees and organizes, writes production plans for the Regional Program
- S/he is aware of and accepts that the demands of radio production may often need flexibility and working outside normal office hours in order to meet deadlines or to deal with evolving situations.
- The Producer reports to the Project Manager for all matters and must participate in regular meetings with them, as directed.
- At least a Degree in Mass Communications, or equivalent radio experience
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Knowledge of Kanuri, Hausa is an advantage
- Has a good contact and knowledge with officials in NE-Nigeria.
Essential Job Requirements
- Languages English, strong preference for Kanuri and Hausa
- Live radio experience
- Experience managing complex radio programmes
- Experience in political debate production
- At least 15 years Journalism/production experience
- Excellent understanding / analysis of regional political and peace and security issues
- Good contacts with key players in the policy making, peace and security field
- Ability and experience to manage a large and diverse team
- Ability to make quick decisions
- Ability to work under pressure
- Authority & determination& flexibility
- High production values, creative and innovative.
Required Skills Abilities and Experience:
- Knowledge and understanding of Radio and digital platforms across Nigeria, and especially in the North East
- Innovative ideas and initiative to contribute to editorial strategies, planning and the development of the Regional Programme agenda
- Experience of stakeholder management and working collaboratively
- Fluent English is essential and fluency in language(s) spoken in North East Nigeria is an advantage
- Detailed current knowledge of the COVID 19 and the changing needs of the audience
- Thorough knowledge of North East Nigeria news and the Lake Chad Basin current affairs.
- Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies:
- Editorial Judgement – Demonstrates balanced and objective judgement based on a thorough knowledge of the NE-Nigeria Region and Region around Lake Chad.
- Communication – The ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
- Managing relationships – Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people.
- Imagination / Creative Thinking – is able to transform creative ideas/impulses into practical reality.
- 3 Okapi Net Foundation Regional Programme Producer for Radio Programs (June 2020)
- Planning and Organisation – is able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for yourself and others.
- Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
- Resilience – Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Okapi Net Foundation team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
- to our radio listeners and to international standards guiding media and broadcasting work.
- Maintaining a professional attitude throughout and is careful to maintain good relations with any and all
- staff, consultants and freelancers, as well as with NGOs, agencies and donors in Nigeria
- Supervisory Responsibility: Journalists
- Works Directly With: All staff, all heads of departments, Deputy Director and undertaking.
Application Closing Date
15th August, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letter and CV to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!