Job Title: Protection and Gender Officer
Location: Abuja, FCT, Nigeria
Job Type: Full Time
Proposed Start Date: May 2021
Contract End Date: March 2022
- Action Against Hunger Nigeria Mission is looking for a Protection and Gender Officer to join our team in our Abuja Office, FCT.
- The position reports directly to the WASH Head of Department and is required to lead the implementation of gender equality and social protection including mainstreaming initiatives and WASH strategies and RRM projects.
- Leads and conduct gender analysis, technical studies, assessments on Gender in rapid response mechanism (RRM) projects.
- Provides technical input on Gender Mainstreaming and/or coordinate technical support on gender sensitive and inclusive programming in WASH, Nutrition, and humanitarian protection sectors with relevant sector specialists if required;
- Ensures that project activities are carried out with an inclusive lens, cultural sensitivity, promotes gender equality and inclusion of marginalised groups;
- Works with field teams to ensure access and participation of women, men, girls and boys at risk to Action Against Hunger’s response, recovery and rehabilitation work.
- Takes lead in the development of gender mainstreaming work plans in the implementation of all project activities in the LGA in collaboration and coordination with other sectors.
- Leads in integrating gender into MEAL processes in operation areas; setting of specific indicators for process monitoring and follow up that, advising team in getting gender specific information thorough spot monitoring and Post Distribution Monitoring (PDM) process;
- Initiates innovative documentation process to capture learning and changes, support team to obtain sex, age and other disaggregating data;
- Supports local stakeholders in organizing and carrying out advocacy and campaign for greater gender equality and equity in humanitarian protection programmes.
- Engages with state and local women’s rights organizations and mobilize collective voice around gender discrimination in the post conflict setting;
- Proactively ensures Protection and Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) measures and reporting mechanism are in place and raise awareness among teams, project stakeholders and community;
- Provides orientation sessions to community stakeholders, including camp and host community leaders to increase understanding of gender and protection needs of beneficiaries;
- Conduct capacity assessments and facilitate capacity building for the project teams to enhance their motivation and effective implementation of gender strategies;
- Ensures identification and satisfaction of training needs for the project staff on relevant standards and instruments for gender equality and humanitarian protection;
- Designs and implements demand-driven programme approaches and methodologies aiming towards capacity building, working in partnerships, policy analysis and advocacy;
- Develops and facilitates capacity building programs on gender sensitivity and gender mainstreaming, as well as gender issues pertaining to gender advocacy;
- Lead projects monitoring and reporting on gender equality and mainstreaming issues at the LGA level;
- Local representation for AAH and coordination with other stakeholders within the intervention area.
- Degree in Public Health, Social Sciences, Gender Studies, or any related field;
- At least 2-3 years’ experience in design, development and management of gender Equality in social protections programme including a minimum of 1 year in a field coordination role;
- Experience in Gender Programming;
- Deep understanding of guiding principles of Gender equality issues in the North east Nigeria and Adult Training strategies;
- Well-developed knowledge and understanding of protection principles, gender mainstreaming and women’s rights, in areas of early recovery and resilience building;
- Well-developed analytical and strategic planning skills with the ability to influence the wider programme strategy;
- Demonstrated experience of conducting trainings, and providing capacity building to local partners and beneficiaries on gender issues;
- Fluent in Hausa and Kanuri preferably;
- Resilience, flexibility and adaptability to work successfully under stressful conditions;
- A high level of social-cultural sensitivity when dealing with colleagues, partners and beneficiaries;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including diplomacy and tact, in order to be able to liaise effectively with a range of stakeholders, including NGO partners, community leaders and government officials;
- User level computer literacy (Office Package, Outlook, etc.);
- Willingness to travel and reside in rural, remote and insecure areas.
- Minimum Basic Salary: N260,244 Naira
- Other benefits include but not limited to 100% health care coverage, 24 days paid leave per year, free and direct access to Cross Knowledge e-learning platform.
Application Closing Date
14th April, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Action Against Hunger provides Equal Employment Opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!