Job Title: Project Assistant – Shelter Hourly
Reference No.: CFCV2021.011
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term Hourly Contract(G4Equivalent)
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Organizational Unit: Shelter Unit
IOM Classification: Hourly
Organizational Context and Scope
- The Shelter Project Assistant will be working under the leadership and guidance of the Shelter Program Manager and the direct supervision of the shelter Project Officer. Within the framework of the emergency response program in North-East Nigeria, the incumbent shall be responsible for supporting the shelter Unit projects by assisting in the implementation of field activities, community mobilization, data collection, monitoring daily activities and reporting, liaising with local authorities and stakeholders where needed, in accordance with the overall directives of the Emergency Coordinator and IOM procedure, and in close coordination with other units
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
The incumbent will be responsible and accountable for the following activities:
- Liaise closely with the Shelter Program Manager and Project Officer throughout the planning, design and implementation stages of Shelter activities.
- Assist with the implementation of the Shelter projects according to the agreed response strategy and plan, including but not limited to needs assessment, procurement and distribution processes(both in-kind or cash-based), as required.
- Follow up with field activities closely to ensure their quality and that there are no delays by collecting daily updates from field staff, and timely report all challenges or delays to the management and participate in brainstorming to resolve issues
- Support with coordination of field staff during all stages of implementation of shelter activities and advise management on staff welfare issues and possible support options and solutions.
- Fully participate in and/or facilitate in any relevant assessment carried out by the shelter unit whenever requested.
- Update unit trackers on regular basis, provide feedback on any correction needed to the project manager and project officer.
- Contribute as requested to the reports of shelter activities by providing inputs and data(including weekly, monthly, interim, and final project reports).
- Ensure Shelter projects are implemented in line with the visibility requirements of donors.
- Prepare and develop status reports, minutes of meetings, travel requests, purchase requisitions and other documents, as required by the management.
- 1Liaise with government, relevant UN and NGO partners, contractors and consultants at state, district, and field level, as required.
- Ensure proper filing of documents according to data protection and confidentiality protocols. Assist with conducting/ organizing assessments to evaluate the shelter response, getting beneficiary feedback, etc.
- Support the planning and implementation of community consultations, focus group discussions and other community engagement activities related to shelter programming.
- Contribute to the development and dissemination of new and existing shelter-related tools, including information, communication and education materials for both field staff and affected communities.
- Travel to the field as requested.
- Coordinate with all relevant units and provide logistical assistance where needed.
- Perform any other duties that may be required.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Graduate degree in Social sciences, International development, International relations, Civil Engineering, Architecture, or relevant field from a recognized institution. (with 3+ year(s) of relevant experience)
- High school diploma. (with 5+ year(s) of relevant experience)•Graduate degree with3+ year(s) of relevant experience in humanitarian sector or High school diploma with 5+ years of relevant experience.
- Experience in community mobilization and engagement and mediating among local actors. Previous experience in implementing shelter programmes in North-East Nigeria is advantageous.
- Proficiency in computer applications (MS Word, Excel, Outlook, etc).•Knowledge of the building industry, local construction techniques and materials is advantageous.•Ability to work quickly and accurately and pay attention to detail.
- Willingness to assist efficiently in a very busy project environment.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Ability to present clear and concise information and good communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
- Ability to learn new programming modalities quickly.
- Any other task not listed above when requested by the supervisors.
- English (proficient) Advantageous: Hausa, Kanuri and other local languages (working knowledge) Competencies: The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following Competencies:
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms.
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders.
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others.
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience.
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services.
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing -plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility.
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter.
- Teamwork –contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
Behavioural The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.•Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates the ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Application Closing Date
15th February, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: [email protected] using the “Job Title” as the subject of the email.
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line. CFCV2021.011 MaiduguriProject Assistant ShelterG4 (HOURLY)
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!
- Minimum Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Location Maiduguri, Borno, Borno