Job Title: Programme Officer – NTDs
Location: Birnin Kebbi MoH, Kebbi
Reports to: Programme Manager
Responsible for: Programme Assistant (Kebbi)
Contract: 15 month fixed term contract
Department: Operations, Performance and Finance
Job Purpose (the overall purpose and function of the job)
- The Programme Officer (PO) is responsible for managing the daily activities and execution of programmes with assigned partners and to enhance the quality of the Sightsavers programmes. PO will also be responsible for implementation of five Preventive Chemotherapy (PCT) NTDs (Trachoma, Onchocerciasis, Lymphatic Filariasis, Soil Transmitted Helminths (STH) and Schistosomiasis) in Kebbi State.
- Responsibilities will also include delivery of NTD programme targets, provision of programme management guidance and direct technical support to the implementation of integrated NTD programmes, impact assessment and advocacy for the elimination of NTDs in Sightsavers supported state (Kebbi State) in Nigeria.
- In addition, should be able to identify and contribute to programme growth and development (scalability) in collaboration with partners and colleagues. Provide technical support and leadership to Kebbi State NTD Team in Nigeria.
Key Accountabilities (specific activities and end results)
Project Management (50% of time):
- Supporting partners to identify their own technical and capacity building needs and facilitate providing these in order to support them through the project(s) cycle.
- Manage all aspects of the project cycle with the partner to ensure effective planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, financial and asset management, reporting and documentation is delivered for the Kebbi NTD project. Feedback to and work with internal expertise as required.
- Build effective partner relationships and support longer-term relationships that go beyond the duration of individual projects by disseminating information and advocating for Sightsavers work in Kebbi State.
- Promote shared learning and collaboration between partners by facilitating and coordinating partner networks and meetings in the Kebbi NTD project.
- Be proactive in providing good quality information on case studies and interesting news stories relating to the Kebbi NTD project(s) to support the preparation of fundraising materials in Haywards Heath.
- Support Nigeria country team to establish and maintain effective relationships with the Kebbi State Ministry of Health and other partners in order to advance sustainable plans and integrate them into the existing public health delivery systems.
- Support the Kebbi NTD project to identify and implement new approaches and tools, including logistics and drug audits and support scale-up of mass drug administrations in the State.
Monitoring and Evaluation (10% of time):
- Support the Kebbi NTD team in the implementation of monitoring and evaluating NTD programme performance.
- Support the country research teams and help them to identify operational research opportunities to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of NTD elimination efforts in Kebbi State.
Advocacy and Sensitization (30% of time):
- Build and maintain meaningful working relationships with a variety of partners and other stakeholders in Kebbi NTD Project in order to strengthen opportunities for advocacy and higher visibility.
- Develop relationships with other NGOs to support funding and delivery of services, including NGOs in the Water, Sanitation and hygiene (WASH) sector.
- Represent Sightsavers at appropriate State level meetings and fora.
- Ensure NTD programme information flow is maintained across the Sightsavers’ country teams and directorates, the Kebbi State Ministry of Health and other key partners.
Research (10% of time):
- Assist the Programme Manager and Kebbi State Ministry of Health in disseminating information on NTD activities, studies, research and lessons learned at National and State level.
- Work in close collaboration with key Sightsavers colleagues and project partners to ensure that projects conduct research and publish findings in international peer-review publication.
- The principle accountabilities are not meant to be an exhaustive list of tasks. The need for flexibility is required and the job holder is expected to carry out any other related duties that are within the employee’s skills and abilities whenever reasonably instructed.
Job Holder Entry Requirements (The essential knowledge, skills and behaviours)
Knowledge (Education & Related Experience):
- Degree (or equivalent) in a relevant field (Biological Sciences, Development Studies, Public Health, Social Sciences Education). A postgraduate degree will be an added advantage.
- Extensive working experience, ideally in an NGO environment
- Experience of all aspects of project management within a community development programme
- Experience of advocacy work; demonstrable ability to influence high-level government officials and / or other decision-making bodies.
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written)
Skills (Special Training or Competence):
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Ability to influence high-level government officials and NGO leaders.
- Ability to build strong working relationships to enable effective management of partnerships and work collaboratively as part of a global team.
- Proven ability to think strategically and translate concepts into effective action plans.
- Excellent networking and advocacy skills.
- Excellent financial and resource management skills.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Project management skills.
- Ability to deliver group training sessions.
- People management skills with a strong diplomatic understanding of culturally and ethnically sensitive issues.
- Able to travel regularly on a national basis.
- An understanding of and commitment to equality of opportunity for disabled people.
- Networking and influencing both within and outside the organisation
- Change and improvement – consistently strives to achieve high standards of performance. Responds positively to change by adapting own behaviour / approach.
- Communicating and influencing – Understands how their role contributes to the organisation vision. Communicates confidently and effectively with colleagues and partners
- Decision making – Gathers relevant information and uses effective reasoning to make timely decisions.
- Planning and organisation – Prioritises activities and develops plans to achieve them, monitoring own progress. Analyses and organises routine data on a regular basis.
- Delivery and implementation – Gets things done, can be relied upon to do what they say they will and is committed to achieving good quality work to agreed standards.
- Team working -Understands how their work impacts on others. Knows about other parts of the organisation and contributes positively to a global team.
- Programme Manager
- Deputy Country Director
- Country Office Programme Team
- Director of ASCEND
- NTDs Technical hub
- Sightsavers NTDs department, including the global disease advisors
- Director of Finance and Performance
- Regional Director
- Country Office Financial Team
- Head of Research
- Institutional Funding
- Policy team
- Funding & Marketing
- In-country NTD Manager//Advisers
- Project partners / NGOs
- Ministries of Health in Nigeria
- NTD communities in Nigeria
- NGO’S in the sector and WASH
- NGDO Groups for NTDs
- Consultants and contractors
Application Closing Date
18th November, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!