Job Title: Programme Analyst – Gender and Humanitarian
Location: Maiduguri – Borno / Damaturu – Yobe
Type of Contract: TA Local
Post Level: NO-B
Starting Date: 01-Jul-2021 (date when the selected candidate is expected to start:
Duration of Initial Contract: 365 days
Expected Duration of Assignment: 365 days
- UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
- UN Women established a presence in Maiduguri, Borno State, Nigeria to address the economic, protection needs of vulnerable women in Internally displaced settings and host communities in Northeast, Nigeria in close collaboration with the Government of Nigeria. To this end, UN Women is implementing a portfolio of projects to economically empower while addressing protection risks such as violence against vulnerable women and girls.
- In this regard, UN Women, with the support of the Government of Japan, is implementing a project on Empowering Women and Girls for Enhanced Gender-Based Violence Prevention and Response in Borno and Yobe States.
- The project is designed to contribute to stopping the spread of COVID-19, as well as to prevent and respond to GBV through supporting women’s leadership and participation in COVID-19 prevention interventions, and providing access to economic-empowerment opportunities for women and girls.
- Reporting to the UN Women Deputy Country Representative, and with day-to day management by the North East Head of Office, the Programme Analyst supports project implementation through: coordinating with partners to ensure synergies between interventions; supporting quality control and monitoring impact and results of interventions; and providing technical assistance to partners and stakeholders on issues of gender equality humanitarian action, and resilience.
- Proramme Analyst will also identify key areas for advocacy and support the rollout of the project.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide Substantive Technical support to the Implementation and Monitoring of Project Activities:
- Oversee implementation and synergies between different elements of project implementation by project partners, while ensuring implementation are on track;
- Lead the planning of project activities to ensure timely and comprehensive implementation
- Provide technical assistance and capacity building to partners on key areas of project implementation, to ensure the impact of interventions.
- Conduct field visits to monitor field level activities.
- Monitor results of the Implementing Partners to ensure that the project achievements are in line with target indicators, and impact is monitored and documented
- Maintain records of all target achievements/indicators to monitor progress.
- Prepare and check quality of technical reports, briefs and required project documents.
- initiate procurement of goods and services including preparation of equipment specifications, TORs and RFPs, managing process for the selection of suppliers, contractors, and partners as needed for the project, In collaboration with UN Women Nigeria Country Office
Provide Technical Assistance and Capacity Development to Programme Partners:
- Provide technical support in the implementation of project activities
- Collect background documents related to the humanitarian in Northeast Nigeria to inform UN Women and partners on key issues of gender equality
- Identify areas for support and interventions within the thematic/sectoral areas assigned.
- Participate in humanitarian sector meetings, providing technical assistance on issues of gender equality and women’s rights.
- Build and manage relationships with national partners to support the implementation of programme;
- Identify capacity building needs of partners and lead the coordination of technical assistance, mentoring, training and capacity development initiatives to partners
Facilitate Knowledge Building and Management:
- Identify sources of information related to key humanitarian/resilience policy issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to project
- Identify key areas for evidence-based advocacy and support the development and roll-out of advocacy strategies.
- identify areas for research and support in developing research methodologies and partnerships.
Provide Substantive Inputs to Building Partnerships and Resource Mobilization:
- Develop and maintain partnership at State level to support implementation and expansion of UN Women programming including in the fields of gender responsive humanitarian and women’s leadership;
- Provide technical and coordination support to Ministry of Women Affairs and Women-led organizations
- Provide substantive inputs to resource mobilization strategies;
- Represent UN Women at relevant interagency coordination meetings at State level as required and provide technical assistance for gender mainstreaming into humanitarian action and recovery efforts
- Provide technical support to the drafting of policy positions and speeches on Gender Equality and Empowerment of Women and Girls (GEEWG).
Provide Technical Inputs to Monitoring and Reporting of Programme/ project Activities:
- Provide technical inputs for the establishment of an effective monitoring system for the delivery of project results;
- Draft quarterly and annual progress reports and donor reports and organize progress reviews, as necessary;
- Undertake mission, design and deliver workshops, training and events and draft reports on events and monitoring missions
Key Performance Drivers
- Timely and quality programme strategies and activities;
- Timely and quality of programme delivery in line with budget and workplans, and in line with all UN Women operational rules and regulations, including security;
- Timely and quality monitoring and evaluation of programmes;
- Relations with partners and stakeholders;
- Quality reports and timely submission;
- Quality of advocacy and communication initiatives.
- Increased cooperation and communication between UN Women and the humanitarian partners in Borno and Yobe States.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Social Sciences, Human Rights, Gender / Women’s Studies, International Development or a related field is required
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A project/programme management certification would be an added advantage.
- At least 2 years of progressively responsible work experience in the areas of humanitarian, gender equality and women’s rights programming, project/programme implementation, coordination, monitoring and evaluation and donor reporting and capacity building;
- Experience in the area of gender in humanitarian action;
- Experience working in the Northeast humanitarian response;
- Experience advocating on issues of women’s rights and gender equality;
- Experience coordinating and liaising with government agencies, donors and civil society organizations is an asset
- Experience undertaking programme support and implementation in the field of humanitarian action;
- Experience with UN Women or the UN system would be an asset.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN official language is an asset
- Knowledge of Hausa will be an asset.
Core Values and Guiding Principles:
- Respect for diversity.
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Accountability and Responsibility
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example.
- Good programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills
- Good knowledge of Results Based Management
- Good analytical and problem solving skills
- Good knowledge of gender and humanitarian work
- Ability to identify and analyze trends, opportunities and threats to fundraising
- Strong communication skills;
- Strong organization and planning skills and high attention to detail;
- Ability to meet deadlines and respond positively to feedback;
- Ability to complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities;
- Ability to manage and maintain relationships with different levels of stakeholders effectively and strategically;
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice
- Sound knowledge of gender and humanitarian issues
- Good knowledge of local country context;
- Ability to work with little to no supervision.
Application Closing Date
31st May, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
- UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!