Job Title: Principal Quality, Results and Monitoring Officer, SNOQ.2
Locations: Côte d’Ivoire (Abidjan), Tunisia (Tunis), Cameroon (Yaounde), Kenya (Nairobi), South Africa (Pretoria).
Position N°: 50102239 / 50102240 / 50102241 / 50102242 / 50102243
- The Senior Vice-Presidency is responsible for supporting the President in the day-to-day management of the Bank Group to achieve its strategic objective and drive performance culture that will align all processes and systems to deliver high impact results.
- The Senior Vice-Presidency will provide effective leadership and exceptional coordination to ensure implementation and monitoring of key corporate decisions as well as the identification of necessary corrective measures and actions.
- The Senior Vice-Presidency will lead senior management discussions, decision-making processes and the implementation of key Board and Management decisions.
The Hiring Department:
- Located within the Senior Vice-Presidency Complex, the Department in charge of Quality Assurance and the Operations Committee Secretariat works to continuously enhance the quality and timely delivery of Bank operations.
- The Quality Assurance Division is an operational support unit that focuses on enhancing and mainstreaming the quality and results focus of the Bank’s strategies and operations.
- More specifically, the Division (i) sets quality standards for the Bank’s interventions; (ii) develops and strengthens tools and processes throughout the operation cycle; and (iii) enhances staff capacities and facilitating operations related knowledge.
- The Bank’s five Regional Business Delivery Units lead delivery of the Bank’s operations. Each is headed by a Director General and Deputy Director General, who report to the Vice President, RDVP. Staff originating from different departments are brought together in the regional business delivery units, which cover both sovereign and non-sovereign operations.
- The overall objective of the position of the Principal Quality, Results and Monitoring Officer is to support the Bank’s Regional Business Delivery Units, and in turn the Bank as a whole, to strengthen the quality and compliance of its monitoring and self-evaluation, as well as its development results planning, tracking and measurement.
- Principal Quality, Results and Monitoring Officers provide expert advice to support quality and compliance throughout the project cycle. They provide advice to Task Teams working on both sovereign and non-sovereign operations. Each Principal Officer will be assigned to a regional Business Delivery Unit, in line with the Bank’s mobility guidelines.
- Each Principal Quality, Results and Monitoring Officer is enabled to deliver on this advisory, quality assurance and compliance role by remaining outside of Task Teams and via a reporting line to the central Quality Assurance Division. This provides a degree of independence, enabling the incumbent to focus on robust advice and quality assurance while working closely with Task Teams in the regions. This is in line with the AfDB’s “One Bank” approach.
- Based in a Regional Business Delivery Unit, the Principal Quality, Results and Monitoring Officer will provide advice and support compliance with regards to results measurement, monitoring and self-evaluation products.
Duties and Responsibilities
The expected outcomes of the Principal Quality, Results and Monitoring Officer role are to (i) improve compliance with corporate reporting standards; (ii) improve the quality and effectiveness of monitoring in the region; (iii) contribute to improved quality and effectiveness of Bank operations in the region.
Specifically, Principal Quality, Results and Monitoring Officers support quality and compliance through the following duties:
For sovereign and non-sovereign operations:
- Provide advice to task teams to develop robust projects’ results based logical frameworks (RBLFs) in accordance with the Bank’s guidance and international good practice.
- Provide task teams with advice to strengthen monitoring and evaluation plans for new operations under preparation and appraisal, where necessary.
For sovereign operations specifically:
- Provide additional arm’s length review of “results readiness” (including RBLFs) for projects under preparation or appraisal in other regions, via the Bank’s readiness review tool.
- Review a sample of supervision reports for quality and compliance, and especially from a results measurement perspective.
- Support review of project completion reports of sovereign operations for quality and compliance.
For non-sovereign operations specifically:
- Where, requested, advise portfolio officers in reviewing a sample of annual supervision reports for quality and compliance, from a results measurement perspective.
- Where requested, advise portfolio officers in reviewing extended supervision reports (XSRs) as prepared by independent consultants, for quality and compliance, from a results measurement perspective.
At regional and corporate level:
- Provide advice to country and regional strategy task teams regarding results measurement in development of new country and regional strategies, where necessary.
- Contribute to enhancing understanding of quality assurance mechanisms and monitoring and results measurement requirements and good practices amongst regional teams, including through contributing to training, compliance reporting and reporting on performance and lessons learned.
- Contribute to the continuous review and improvement of the Bank’s monitoring and evaluation and quality assurance tools and practices.
- Participate in delivery of training for project staff in Bank member countries.
- Act as a focal point on quality assurance, monitoring and evaluation and results measurement, support relevant corporate initiatives and reports, including in relation to the Bank’s Quality Matters campaign, and supporting regional offices to engage effectively with independent evaluations.
- Hold at least a Master’s degree in Economics, Development Studies, Monitoring and Evaluation, Statistics, or related disciplines.
- Additional qualification or Certification in Results Management, Monitoring and Evaluation or equivalent (desirable).
- Have a minimum of six (6) years of relevant professional experience in the field of monitoring and evaluation, or more broadly results measurement, preferably within the context of international development.
- Monitoring and evaluation experience, preferably including development of results frameworks at project level, hands-on monitoring of progress towards development results.
- Results based management and results measurement experience applied in development context.
- Applied practical and proven experience in developing and implementing monitoring and evaluation plans at project level (desirable).
- In-depth understanding of theory of change, logical frameworks, and results-based management (desirable).
- Proven problem-solving approach to data availability and data quality challenges found in some developing countries (desirable).
- Experience as a trainer, facilitator or instructor for workshops and learning events (desirable).
- Experience in conducting, and effectively communicating, robust analytical work. (desirable).
- Knowledge and practical experience of operations policies, procedures, and review processes of multilateral development banks or other development agencies (desirable).
- Strong behavioral competencies, especially in line with the key performance drivers: communication; problem-solving; client orientation; team working and relations; innovation and creativity; operational effectiveness.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to tailor written and verbal communication for a range of audiences.
- Ability to work with multidisciplinary teams, and in a multicultural environment.
- Ability to persuade and influence others.
- Experience managing junior team members / consultants.
- Ability to work in French and / or English, with a working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, SAP, PowerPoint, MS Project).
Application Closing Date
13th November, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and / or a screenshot showing the problem to “HR Direct” via: [email protected]
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!