Planning Specialist, P3
Job no: 536487
Temporary Appointment: 364 days
Contract type: Temporary Appointment
For Every Child, a Fair Chance
- In Nigeria, UNICEF works in a complex humanitarian and development setting to fulfill and protect children’s rights in partnership with government, civil society, children and families. UNICEF Nigeria is one of the largest UNICEF Country Offices globally – click the link to learn more about UNICEF in Nigeria: https://www.unicef.org/nigeria/.
How Can You Make a Difference?
- Under direct supervision of the Representative and working closely with the head of RC Office/Strategic Planning Advisor, the staff member will support efforts to strengthen the capacity of the UN Country Team and provide support in coordinating and planning a coherent UN response to national development/humanitarian priorities.
- She /he will collaborate as needed with the UNCT members, RC/HC Office staff, programme and operations teams of the UN Agencies, Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
Effective Coordination and Communication Across the Representative and Resident coordinator multiple Responsibilities Including Partnership, Coordination and Collaboration:
Supporting implementation of the Office work plan and vision;
- Conducts research, review, and analysis of key documents as requested;
- Provides support to the UNDAF Working Group and effectively liaises between the Working Group and the UNAF Results Groups chairs;
- Develop partnerships and collaboration with internal and external counterparts, including those of the UN and national partners, in order to improve the ability to collect and disseminate development data and information, exchange information on programme/project status and implementation and movement/distribution of supplies. Establish and maintain linkage to the Regional Programme Knowledge Network to ensure the availability of current and& accurate programme data;
- Keep abreast of the main issues facing the Nigeria country office and provide thorough analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country. identify internal and external issues and assist in formulating options as to how those matters might be handled. Ensure appropriate follow-up as directed;
- Oversee and ensure the smooth flow of relevant information within the office of Representative and to the RC, RO and HQ as required;
- Plans, develops and implements sectoral programme(s) by collaborating with the government and other partners. Provide leadership in provision of technical advice, negotiation, advocacy and promotion of area/country level goals, leading to agreement on practicable and priority actions to be supported by UNICEF programme and country level cooperation.
Provide Support to the Un Sdgs Group for the Implementation of the 2030 Agenda in Nigeria:
- Support UN Agencies to ensure the results-oriented focus of joint programming and joint programmes;
- Regularly update the information on ongoing joint programmes, including data on funding requirements;
- Provide support to gradually implement the Standard Operating Procedures for Delivering As One;
- Collect and disseminate global practice in the field of Delivering as One while supporting the implementation of these practices locally.
Ensure Facilitation of Knowledge Building and Management:
- Assist in the day-to-day systematization of activities and support knowledge management, making sure that documentation is timely drafted, and policies and analysis are shared within the unit;
- Aid as needed in the provision of support to the Government of Nigeria in strengthening national aid coordination and aid effectiveness mechanisms;
- Contributes flexibly to other activities of the RC/HC-O team in support of the RC/HC system and Delivering as One as required, including backstopping arrangements;
- Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Identification of sources of information related to coordination. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to country policy goals, and;
- Identification of national policies and institutions that require strengthening to ensure effective UNDAF implementation and provision of advice in close consultation with UNCT;
- Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of relevant results;
- Ensure that area/country programmes are strengthened by knowledge management through data collection and analysis, complete and accurate reporting as well as participation in the Programme Knowledge Network system of “lessons learned” and other corporate-level databases;
- Participate in information exchange through donor and media visits as well as in the development of training and orientation materials.
Support National and Local Capacity Building/Sustainability:
- Provision of referral services for agencies without field representation to access national institutions and processes and for national partners to access the expertise of agencies without field representation.
Provide Support in the Roll-Out of the Undaf 2018-2022:
- Provide support to the UNDAF Working Group and effectively liaises between the Working Group, the UNAF Results Groups chairs and the RC/HC-O;
- Assist in carrying out the UNDAF Evaluation and the following Common Country Analysis;
- Help with the development of the UNDAF document, its results matrix and joint work plans, and;
- Lead the implementation of the frequent monitoring initiative and support the inclusion of this mechanism in the UNDAF M&E framework.
Required Skills and Experience
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have:
- Master’s Degree or Degree equivalent in Economics, Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Sciences or related field.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience at the national and international level in international development issues and providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects.
- Previous experience in UN Coordination and UNDAF mechanisms is considered an asset.
- Knowledge about the UN and RC systems would be an advantage.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergency is considered an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
- UNICEF’s core values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA), and
- Nurtures, Leads and Manages People (1)
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (2)
- Works Collaboratively with others (3)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (3)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (2)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (2)
- Drives to achieve impactful results (2)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (2)
- Analyzing (2)
- Learning and Researching (2)
- Planning and Organizing (2)
- Persuading and Influencing (2)
View our competency framework at
10th December, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Information / Notice
- UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
- UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
- Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!