The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies is the world’s largest humanitarian network and is guided by seven Fundamental Principles: Humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, universality and unity.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Operations Coordinator
Vacancy No: IFRC04433
Duty station status: Family Duty Station
Accompanied status: Non-Accompanied
Duration: 6 months
Category of Staff: Delegate
- The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world’s largest humanitarian organization, with 192 member National Societies. As part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, our work is guided by seven fundamental principles; humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
- The Secretariat of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is organized into four Business groups in Geneva and five Business Groups in the field, namely the Regional Office for Africa, Americas, Asia and the Pacific, Europe, and Middle East and North Africa (MENA).
- The Africa Region is organized through regional representations covering the National Societies in Eastern Africa, Southern Africa, West Coast, Sahel and Central Africa CCST as well as country representations in Ethiopia, Sudan, Sierra Leone, Republic of South Sudan, Chad, Niger, Nigeria and Somalia. On December 31, 2019, the World Health Organization (WHO) was informed of collective cases of pneumonia of unknown origin detected in Wuhan, in the province of Hubei in China.
- Since December 8, 2019, the first cases presented symptoms related to the SARS coronavirus, which belongs to the subgenus Sarbecovirus. The coronavirus that caused the pneumonia epidemic was declared as public health emergency of international concern by WHO on January 30, 2020.
- On March 2020, first confirmed cases of COVID-19 were recorded. National Societies, in their role of auxiliary to the public authorities, and in accordance with their mandate, together with other Movement actors (IFRC, ICRC and PNS), have developed a COVID-19 contingency plans in alignment with the Government National COVID-19 Preparedness and Response Plans. These plans are mainly based on 5 strategic axes:
- Strengthening risk communication and community engagement (RCCE)
- Strengthening epidemiological surveillance systems
- Strengthening capacity building of health services
- Supporting post recovery
- Building NS capacities (OD) Together with these activities, the Delegate will need to ensure the adequate response and coordination mechanisms are in place within the 6 countries under the responsibility of the WC CCST: Nigeria, Benin, Togo, Ghana, Ivory Coast and Benin.
- The current programs cover a wide spectrum of programs, which targets health and care, water- hygiene and sanitation, livelihoods and basic needs, cash intervention, NS development as well as strengthening RCCE, and always ensuring that the National Societies are targeting the most communities and provide them with appropriate support.
- Reporting to the Head of WC CCST, the Operations Coordinator Delegate, supports activities that contribute towards achieving Strategy 2020s’ strategic aims 1 Save lives, protect livelihoods, and strengthen recovery from disaster and crises and 2 Enable healthy and safe living.
- The position contributes to strengthening of IFRC’s operations, including those related to Covid-19 operations in the WC CCST.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- The Operations Coordinator Delegate will be responsible for coordinating the programs and projects, and providing strategic and operational leadership on the Covid-19 grant, as well as in preparing the future phases of the responses following the NS under the Cluster.
- The Operations Coordinator Delegate will rely on the Head of WC CCST regarding operational responsibility in programmatic development, implementation and evaluation of strategies to effectively address emerging issues, risks and opportunities related to projects and programmes (including Covid-19 response).
- S/he will have support the budget and financial management of the programmes, is responsible for ensuring adherence to timelines, assures high quality of activities during implementation and generates timely and appropriate reporting in line with IFRC requirements.
- The Operations Coordinator Delegate will play a strong coordination role, both for country-level liaisons and oversight of implementing partners, as well as for supporting establishment and functioning of coordination structures through reinforcement of the national programmes.
- In addition, the Operations Coordinator Delegate will be responsible for developing and installing sound management systems based on good corporate governance and best practice aimed at effectiveness, as well as efficient grants management internally and externally amongst the involved organizations. Other duties include spearheading the implementation of strategic capacity strengthening processes, as well as reviewing the programme performance to ensure effective utilization of physical, financial and human resources allocated for the WC CCST.
Cross cutting tasks:
- Contribute to IFRC’s global strategy to expand engagement with IFRC Strategy 2020 and 2030.
- Establish and support systems that will facilitate monitoring and reporting on the implementation and financial performance of the NS to ensure proper management and accountability of funds in line with financial and budgetary policies and procedures of IFRC.
- Oversee timely and appropriate project implementation through collaborative development and monitoring of project implementation plans.
- Coordinate and support project staff for proper program implementation in line with Federation guidelines and specific project strategies and timelines.
- Provide leadership in ensuring programme quality and alignment to national policies, guidelines and strategies.
- Supervise the implementation of resource allocation, procurement and supply chain management, efficient and quality programme implementation, and competent programme monitoring, evaluation and reporting.
- Ensure when and where necessary implementing partner capacity strengthening activities remain a priority and are implemented effectively.
- Support, when needed, for national staff recruitment, capacity strengthening and management of the Covid Programme Management Unit.
- Coordinate regular and timely submission of quality narrative and financial reports to line manager.
- Coordinate meetings between various partners and stakeholders.
- Identify capacity gaps of relevant authorities involved in the implementation and ensure development of such capacities.
Covid-19 Prorgamme Manager tasks:
- Contribute to the Africa Region planning and strategic engagement with the Covid-19 EA Response.
- Support the Head of WC CCST in providing strategic leadership and direction to staff to design, implement, review and evaluate strategic action plans and budgets in line with approved EA Covid-19 response plan, following IFRC policies and international best practices aimed at ensuring effective and efficient use of grant resources.
- Work with DCPRR team to establish coordination structures that are functional and work to achieve overall objectives around policies and strategies for the fight against Covid-19 in the countries under the WC CCST.
- Facilitate documentation and sharing of knowledge, lessons learnt and best practices on implementation and management of the EA Covid-19 response.
- Supporting the Head of WC CCST in directing and exercising the overall control of the Covid-19 grant to ensure that its activities are managed and reported on in a professional and efficient manner in order to meet the performance indicators as set in the work plan and overall programme.
Support to strengthen country-level partnerships and linkages:
- Work with the NS under IFRC West Coast CCST office team and with towards the NS under the responsibility of the Cluster to improve management personnel, to align country priorities.
- Represent the Federation in meetings, training, and workshops related to different projects and programs, and specially those related to the Covid-19 Fund-supported projects and project development
- Maintain excellent lines of communication and reporting with all grant stakeholders, including the Country Coordinating Mechanism, Ministry of Health, National Covid-19 Programme and service provider organizations.
- Maintain positive working relationships with implementing partners and key stakeholders.
- Relevant Master’s degree (such as Public Health, Development Studies, Social Sciences, etc.)
- Basic Delegates Training Course /IMPACT.
- 5 years’ experience in programme and grant management
- Experience working in sub-Saharan Africa
- Working experience in insecure and complex emergencies.
- 3 years’ experience of IFRC grant management procedures
- 3 years’ experience of working with multi and bilateral donor agencies
- Experience in proposal development, report writing, and developing budgets
- Experience of field-based implementation
- Experience of working for the Red Cross/Red Crescent
- Professional experience in public health, ideally in Covid-19
- Experience of management and supervision of grant management
- Experience working with government agencies, local community based organizations and donor agencies
Knowledge, skills and languages:
- Self-supporting in computers
- Networking skills
- Coordination and partner relationship building
- Knowledge of IFRC grant management procedures
- Expertise in project planning and budgeting, resource management, implementation ability, as well as programme monitoring and evaluation
- Able to prioritize and meet deadlines (timely and appropriate programme and financial reporting)
- Fluent in both written and spoken French and English language is mandatory.
Competencies and values:
- National Society and customer relations
- Collaboration and teamwork
- Judgement and decision making
- Creativity and innovation
- Empowering others.
Application Closing Date
16th September, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: The Federation is an equal opportunity employer.
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!