Job Title: National Programme Officer
Job ID: 37150
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Practice Area – Job Family: Management – PROGRAMME
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type: Common System
Contract Duration: 1 year with possibility of extension
This position is located in the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) Country Office Abuja Nigeria (CONIG). Under the overall guidance of the UNODC Representative and the direct supervision of the Project Coordinator under the respective project based in Abuja, the incumbent will assist project management and implementation in line with written guidelines and instructions developed by UNODC on project cycle management and project implementation.
The incumbent will work in close collaboration with other colleagues of the project, in CONIG and at Headquarters of UNODC, to create synergy and achieve full coordination of project activities and effective project partnerships, especially with the project’s Nigerian stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent will carry out the following tasks:
- Provide substantive and organizational coordination and liaison with relevant authorities and international partners for project activities focused on UNODC mandate areas.. Coordinate and liaise regularly on project activities planning and implementation with relevant national partners (including designated focal points and other senior professionals), and regional/international partners present in Nigeria.
- Facilitate the smooth and effective flow of communication with national entities, by maintaining regular contact, providing required information, etc. Support the Programme Officer and project staff in following-up communication with beneficiary institutions, including official letters, request for technical assistance, and the process of identifying participants and national experts, including trainers, for activities under the project.
- Provide substantive support to meetings, training, conferences and workshops, including proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparing of documents and presentations, etc. Advise the Programme Officer and project staff of national and local considerations and realities in Nigeria for proper and effective project implementation, as well as on ways to strengthen partnerships with beneficiary institutions.
- Support the implementation, coordination and monitoring of the project according to approved project document/revisions, valid donor funding agreements, valid policies and financial rules and regulations, and costed work plan/s; identify bottlenecks, propose and take corrective actions in consultation with senior management. Provide substantive input for the planning, preparation, organization and implementation of project activities.
- Support the monitoring of ongoing basis all project expenditures and utilization of funds related to the project and ensure compliance with United Nations (UN) financial rules and regulations, initiate project and/or budget revisions when required.
- Prepare and disseminate costed workplans, terms of reference and other related project documentation, in close collaboration with relevant CONIG and Headquarters focal points. Maintain close working relationships with relevant administrative and project counterparts in order to facilitate meeting of work plan, travel plan and procurement plan deadlines for delivery. Identify procurement needs (goods and services) and support the full procurement cycle of the various options.
- Research, analyze and present information gathered from diverse sources, relevant for project implementation related to the respective substantive field. Prepare various written outputs, e.g. briefing notes for senior management, sections of UN/UNODC reports such as UNODC Annual Report, ensure quality inputs to publications, websites and other reports. Prepare and submit for approval substantive and financial reports, semi-annual and annual project progress reports, inputs to Quarterly Field Reports (QFRs), annual reports to donors.
- Participate in or support field missions (e.g. Monitoring & Evaluation missions), including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and draft mission reports, and ensure follow-up action.
- Provide support in drafting new project concepts and documents in relation to the respective project portfolio, in order to diversify its programme (in line with the Regional Programmes, UNODC Menu of Services and UNODC strategic frameworks) for circulation with potential partners/donors.
- Perform any other work related duties as required/assigned.
Required Skills and Experience
- An Advanced University Degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent) in Law, Criminology, Conflict Resolution, or other relevant Human, Social or Political area, is required.
- A First-level University Degree in similar fields in combination with additional two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university Degree.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible professional experience in project/programme management or administration within the area of rule of law and criminal justice, or a related field, at the national level is required.
- Work experience in substantive liaison and coordination at national and regional level is highly desirable.
- Working experience in areas related to the fight against transnational organised crime is desirable.
- Working experience within the United Nations system or similar international organization is an advantage.
- Demonstrated professional competence in programme management and implementation, ideally with a focus on criminal justice matters; ability to identify and contribute to the solution of problems/issues.
- Shows pride in work and in achievements; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines, and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Proven interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues within and outside of UNODC to achieve organizational goals; solicits inputs by genuinely valuing others ideas and expertise; demonstrates willingness to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning & Organizing:
- Able to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate, and monitor work while prioritizing competing demands; able to work on tight deadlines; knowledge on how to develop clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies.
- Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and projects as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
- For the position advertised, fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
Application Closing Date
19th May, 2021 (Midnight New York, USA).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Applicant Information
- All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
- Applicant information about UNDP rosters
- UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!