Job Title: Midwife Assistant
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Contract Start Date: 1st June, 2021
Contract End Date: 31st July, 2021 (renewable based on availability of funding)
- The midwife assistant will work under the direction and supervision of a registered midwife, within the agreed policies/procedures laid down by PUI, the midwife is responsible and accountable for any decision to delegate the assistant midwife based on sound clinical judgment on assigned task /procedure.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Prepare all the material and equipment and ensure that everything is ready before starting the activities.
- Perform rapid evaluation of sick pregnant women, including vital signs (pulse, blood pressure, respiration); and concurrently finding out the history of present and past illnesses either from her or relatives.
- Assist Midwife to perform antenatal consultations including screening tests according to the protocols, detect and mention all the risk factors
- Assist midwife to conduct delivery according to the protocols, precautions, hygiene standards
- Assist midwife to perform postnatal consultations during the 6 weeks following the delivery.
- Observe changes in the condition of women in ANC, labor and report promptly to the midwife.
- Assist midwife to perform family planning consultations and counseling according to protocol.
- Give systematic prophylactic treatments to pregnant women.
- Verify the tetanus vaccination of each pregnant woman
- Inform the midwife about the condition of a pregnant woman who may need quick intervention before referral to a higher level of care.
- Assist the midwives in clinical areas with obstetric emergencies and referrals according to PUI protocols and regulation.
- Assist the midwife to resuscitate a pregnant /postpartum women/newborn before transfer
- Follow initial assessment done by a midwife and continue care plan, undertake routine observation and report any abnormalities to the midwife.
- Identify Sexually Gender-Based Violence victims and collaborate with the medical team for treatment.
- Explain clearly the diagnosis and treatment to the patient and make sure that the patients comply with the treatment.
- Assist midwives with admission and discharge of mothers and babies.
- Support women with personal hygiene as required.
- Monitor and measure fluid intake and output and record on the chart.
- Takes accurate vital signs and document on the chart and report concerns to the midwife.
- Collect and label specimens as instructed by midwife and send to the laboratory.
- Decontaminate instruments as per set standards, before sending to the sterilization unit.
- Provide individual and group health education to patients concerning safe motherhood, care of the new born, IYCF (Infant and Young child feeding), Family Planning and general Sexual Health.
- Provide malnutrition prevention including MUAC and weight measurements of children.
- Providing information, emotional support, and reassurance to women and their partners.
- Actively participate in the good cohesion and coordination of the team.
- Participate in the follow-up of waste management according to the waste management procedures.
- Ensure that all patients and their relatives are treated equally, with respect of ethical and confidential issues and according to Première Urgence Internationale chart.
Medical Data Collection and Reporting:
- Record accurately and on a readable manner, the clinical case management, beneficiary information and intervention on health card (history taking, physical examination, treatment, investigation, etc.) and patient registration book.
- Ensure an accurate daily use and tracking of epidemiological data.
- Participate in the daily tracking of consumption of the drugs and materials used from the medical box.
- Participate in the weekly medical statistic report in collaboration with SRH Supervisor and the deputy program manager.
- Report to the supervisor any problem especially the gap/loss/robbery/damage of medical equipment or medicines or any patient and organizational issue.
- Ensure a clear verbal and written hand over at every end of the shift, with emphasis on specific events.
- Adhere to the supervisor with regards to work schedules, record keeping, patient communications, re-stocking of necessary drugs, consumables and other items.
- Participate in any other activities such as vaccination, survey according to the needs and as directed
- Participate actively in meetings when required.
- Inform the direct supervisor of the various needs.
- Maintain the working environment in a clean and presentable state.
- Comply with PUI security procedures at all times.
- Remain aware of the security situation in office and clinic locations at all times and provide feedback to the health program manager.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as required direct supervisor.
- Be available for any emergency.
The tasks and responsibilities defined in this vacancy announcement are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
Priorities of the Department
- Assessment on beneficiaries at risk and diagnosed individuals with communicable and non-communicable diseases or other diseases of public health relevant and treat him.
- Assessment on pregnant and lactating women, reproductive age women to identify risk factor
- Build the capacity of the community Health workers, nurses on thematic related to sexual and reproductive health
- Provide frequent feedback on health – illness patterns observed in the phcc that require further assessment
- Report to line manager periodically regarding context changes that affect the modality of intervention.
- The Tasks and Responsibilities defined in this vacancy announcement are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
Qualifications and Required Skills
- Recognized Midwifery Degree or be a Community Health Extension Worker (CHEW) qualified under the Nigerian Health Care Legislation.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience in Midwifery or SRH especially in maternity.
- Work experience with other NGO’s would be an asset.
- Good Command in English (Speaking, Reading & Writing) and fluent in local languages (Hausa and Kanuri).
Knowledge and Skills:
- Technical knowledge about use of medical equipment
- Good ability for team work
- Good knowledge about Ante Natal Consultation and Post Natal Consultation.
- Good team spirit
- Compliance to work under supervision.
- Interests: Working in Humanitarian relief.
- Excellent communication, conflict solving and diplomacy skills to manage relationship in potentially tense situations
- Strong motivation to help people in need
- Ability to make decisions and to exercise authority when required
- Understanding of the political situation in the area
- Ability to analyze and suggest improvements of the activities
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation within a mission or the organization itself
- Well organized and hard worker
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Able to check validity of information, logical thinking
Application Closing Date
20th May, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!