Job Title: Maintenance Mechanic – All Interested Candidates (Generator Technician)
Announcement Number: Lagos-2021-062
Hiring Agency: Consulate General Lagos
Series / Grade: LE – 1210 6
Promotion Potential: LE-6
Work Schedule: Full-time – 40 hours per week
Telework Eligible: No
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply / Clarification From the Agency: For USEFM – FP is 08. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
- From the Agency: All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
- Summary: The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (48 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required: Not Required
- Basic Function of the Position – The incumbent is assigned to the Facilities Maintenance Section and is directly supervised by the Building Engineer for all assigned duties. Job holder carries out preventive maintenance, repair, installation, modification, trouble-shooting, overhaul, testing adjustment and calibration of various diesel generators, automatic transfer switches, fuel tanks, batteries and chargers, transformers and associated mechanical and electrical systems. Incumbent receives written or verbal requests for maintenance services and ascertains all of the information to determine whether the work is of a routine or emergency nature.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Minimum of five (5) years experience in generator trouble-shooting, repairing and installation is required.
- Must possess job knowledge to include general computer literacy. Knowledge of normal, diesel engines, electrical alternators, complete preventive maintenance procedures is required.
- Completion of Secondary School or Technical Training College and three (3) years of journey man knowledge in maintenance and repair of standby generator and/or uninterrupted power supply systems is required.
- This may be tested. Please specify your level of proficiency in the language listed.
- Level III reading/speaking/writing in English is required.
Skills & Abilities:
- Must hold a valid Nigeria driver’s license.
- Ability to use measurement tools needed to lay out and cut shaped, threaded, and joined materials is required.
- Ability to lift and carry tools, equipment, or parts with a maximum weight of 25 kilos as well as climb ladders to reach equipment platforms and roofs of buildings to access control panels is required.
- Ability to operate forklifts for lifting or moving of generators, diesel tanks and other heavy items related to the job is required.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- Hiring Preference Selection Process: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
- NGN 5,800,916 / USD 34, 021 Annually.
Application Closing Date
8th June, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position, click the “Apply to this Vacancy” button at the top of the page. Click on the “Submit Application” button to complete your application process.
- Please provide the required documentation listed below with your application:
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Secondary Certificate
- Certificate or License
- Driver’s License
- For EFMs, in addition to the above:
- Copy of Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria.
- For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
- For More Info: HR Section – 09-461-4000; [email protected].
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!
- Minimum Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Location Lagos, Lagos