Job Title: Local Strategic Advisor Nigeria (UN Habitat)
Location: Abuja, NIGERIA
Additional Category: Sustainable Development and Poverty Reduction
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: National Consultant
Duration of Initial Contract: Three (3) Months
Expected Duration of Assignment: Three (3) Months
Local Strategic Advisor-UN-Habitat:
- UN-Habitat, the United Nations Human Settlements Programme, is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable and resilient towns and cities. It is the focal point agency for all urbanization and human settlement matters within the UN system.
- UN-Habitat envisions well-planned, well-governed and efficient cities and towns, with adequate housing, infrastructure and universal access to employment and basic services such as water, energy, and sanitation.
Global Future Cities Programme:
- The Global Future Cities Programme (GFCP) under the UK Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office’s Prosperity Fund (UK FCDO) aims to deliver targeted interventions in 19 cities across 10 countries to encourage sustainable development, increase prosperity whilst alleviating high levels of urban poverty.
- The programme will also create significant short and long-term business opportunities in growing markets forecast to be regional growth hubs. In addition, the programme will make a significant contribution to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) and implementation of the New Urban Agenda (NUA).
- The Global Future Cities Programme includes cities in Brazil, South Africa, Nigeria, Turkey, Myanmar, Indonesia, the Philippines, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam.
- The programme builds upon three integrated pillars, that collectively will address key barriers to prosperity, in selected cities:
- Urban planning – technical assistance for spatial restructuring (city strategies, urban renewal, regeneration, master planning and planning frameworks)
- Transportation – technical assistance to support cities to develop integrated multi-modal public transport systems
- Resilience – technical assistance to develop strategies to address the impact of climate change (e.g. flooding) and ensure development is sustainable
- The consultant will be hired and work under the overall supervision of the Head of the Urban Lab and the direct supervision of the Programme Manager of the Global Future Cities Programme. The consultancy is home-based in Nigeria.
Programme Components: Strategic and Technical Advice, Knowledge Management and Capacity Building
Strategic and Technical Advice:
- Strategic and Technical Advise using the ‘SDG Project Assessment Tool; Guidance for cities to develop interventions towards inclusive and sustainable urbanization’ (the Tool) will be developed and applied to capacitate city authorities to conduct quality recommendations during the interventions’ development, and to enhance their ability for executing and sustaining the interventions beyond the Programme’s timeframe.
- Throughout the Programme period, the SDG Project Assessment Tool will be applied at periodic ‘SDG Project Assessment Sessions’ in each city. The sessions will provide a qualitative assessment of deliverables submitted by the Delivery Partners against each Terms of Reference (ToR).
- The sessions will be participatory events between city authorities, delivery partners and the UK FCDO. During the course of the Programme, it is expected that 4 to 6 assessment sessions will be conducted.
- A web-based platform has been created to facilitate the management of the knowledge captured and produced from the different activities of the Programme.
- The platform is envisioned as a tool for disseminating knowledge between the multiple partners and stakeholders of the Global Future Cities Programme, enabling knowledge exchange amongst them and particularly city-to-city learning. A public component of the platform aims to disseminate knowledge to the global audience.
Capacity Building Programme:
- As part of the programme implementation, city authorities will be supported with strategic advice and capacity building through an integrated approach. Technical assistance of the Delivery Partners will be complemented with learning-by-doing capacity building activities, (i.e. embedded in SDG project assessment process) and with a programme level capacity building and training component.
- The methodology and the thematic of these activities will be developed by UN-Habitat together with the implementing partner (UKBEAG), while the organization and delivery of the specific events will be led by UKBEAG.
- The overall result of this consultancy is the provision of strategic and technical support to city authorities, UK FCDO Country Programme Managers, and Delivery Partners of the Global Future Cities Programme, towards sustainable urbanization and the achievement of SDGs.
Duties and Responsibilities
Scope of Work
- The consultant will represent UN-Habitat and interacts with all the stakeholders of the Programme, therefore he/she will be appointed on the basis of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. As a UN representative, he/she is expected to exhibit and adhere to the highest standards of ethical conduct.
- A network of Local Strategic Advisers, where possible integrated in UN-Habitat’s existing Regional and Country Offices, will be based in each country. The role of the Local Strategic Advisers will be aligned to context-specific needs, in coordination and alignment with UK FCDO Country Programme Manager. Some of the key responsibilities of the Local Strategic Advisors are as follows:
- Support the UK FCDO Country Programme Managers with stakeholder engagement and communication;
- Provide expert advice as part of programme delivery;
- Ensure alignment of UN-Habitat’s and UKBEAG’s activities with those of the Delivery Partners.
- Support the UN-Habitat and the UKBEAG with engagement of city stakeholders, including identification of Local Champions, needs assessments and knowledge sharing;
- Support city authorities with technical and strategic recommendations;
- Facilitate the application of an SDG Project Assessment Tool;
- Organise, deliver and report on SDG Project Assessment Sessions;
- Promote city-to-city learning and knowledge exchange; and
- Identify opportunities for UN-Habitat to continue and broaden its assistance to Nigerian cities.
In Nigeria, UN-Habitat requires one consultant to manage the activities carry out in Abeokuta and Lagos, alongside local UK Government representative(s). The workload will adapt to the needs of the activities implemented in the different phases of the Programme, therefore it is expected that periods of intense engagement will be alternated and compensated by periods of less demanding engagement.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards.
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism
- Ability to work with a multi-cultural and diverse team
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
- Self-development, initiative-taking.
- Acting as a team player and facilitating teamwork.
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member; and
- Informed and transparent decision making.
- Client Orientation;
- Technological awareness.
- Working knowledge and understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals and of the New Urban Agenda.
- Strong network within local government and private sector in Nigeria.
- Extensive, proven experience in producing feasibility, evaluation, or policy recommendation reports.
- Strong communications skills, including writing, presenting, and facilitating workshops; and
- Able to work independently and as part of team and deliver on time under pressure.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree in architecture, design studies, urban infrastructure management urban planning, engineering, or directly related fields. (15 points).
- 7 years of relevant work experience in the fields of urban planning, mobility, sustainable development, or similar is required; (15 points);
- Experience working in Abeokuta and Lagos, Nigeria required; (15 points);
- Experience in all levels of urban development from project development to implementation is required; (15 points);
- Working knowledge and experience in urban planning, urban mobility and resilience and policies is required; (15 points);
- Experience working on social change projects, providing strategic advice and technical recommendations is an asset; (10 points);
- Working experience with international development agencies and in particular the United Nations and UN-Habitat is an asset. (10 points).
Language / Skills:
- English Language and any other skill (5 points).
Application Closing Date
3rd March, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Information and Notice
- UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
- UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- Fees – Interested qualified consultants must send a financial proposal based on Lump Sum Amount. The term “all-inclusive” implies that all costs (professional fees, communications, consumables, medical insurance etc.) that could be incurred by the IC in completing the assignment are already factored into the daily fee submitted in the proposal. Travel and daily allowance cost will be covered by the Programme and should not be included in the Lump Sum Amount.
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!
- Total Years Experience 5-10