Job Title: Lead Strategy Advisor, SNSP0
Reference: ADB / 21 / 022
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50071285
The Senior Vice-Presidency complex (SNVP) is responsible for supporting the President in the day-to-day management of the Bank Group to achieve it strategic objective, and drive performance culture that will align all processes and systems to deliver high impact results. The SNVP will provide effective leadership and exceptional coordination to ensure implementation and monitoring of key corporate decisions as well as the identification of necessary corrective measures and actions. The SNVP leads senior management discussions, decisions-making process and the implementation of keyboard and management decisions.
The Hiring Department
- The Strategy and Operational Policy Department (SNSP) plays a key role in shaping a corporate vision and a strategic perspective for the African Development Bank (AfDB) as well as developing the operational policies aimed at guiding the Bank’s agenda.
- The primary roles of the department are:
- To develop and help maintain (along with other units) corporate strategies and operational policies necessary for the Bank to deliver according to the spirit of its Charter and in line with the Bank’s 2013-2022 Strategy, the High 5 priorities, and other strategies;
- To play a prominent role in keeping the Bank a strategy-focused organization in line with its policies;
- To support the Bank in raising its profile and engaging strategically at international fora, as well as to foster cross-fertilization and greater coordination with other MDBs; and,
- To lead the Bank in the development of a new culture of innovation and change, including the incubation of new financial/non-financial products and business lines.
The key objectives of the position of the Lead Strategy Advisor will be:
- Provide support on the formulation of the Bank’s strategic policy objectives, and ensure their alignment with strategic planning and budgeting.
- Work in partnership with internal and external stakeholders to promote innovation within the Bank.
- Advise on any new policy developments, and on the Bank’s response to emerging corporate issues.
- Assist and advise the Director in planning, organizing, coordinating and leading the activities of the department.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Director, Strategy and Operational Policies, the Lead Strategy Advisor will perform the following duties:
- Provide guidance and quality control in the preparation and the review of the planning and strategy documents
- Identify emerging international issues, anticipate development finance trends, and provide advice on the Bank’s response to emerging international issues.
- Coordinate the provision of analytical and technical support to Senior Management in preparation and follow up to high-level global policy fora, conferences, including Heads of Multilateral Development Bank (MDB) meetings, United Nations Summits, and represent the Bank in these events, as required.
- Coordinate the Bank’s participation in the workstreams of the Multilateral Development Banks (MDBs) and Regional Development Banks (RDBs), and (co-)represent the Bank in the working groups, including key strategy meetings
- Collaborate driving an innovation agenda at the Bank by originating new products and processes; and incubate new corporate initiatives.
- Establish effective partnerships with internal, external customers and stakeholders, using a range of communication and facilitation skills towards new initiatives and business improvements.
- Coordinate the Bank’s relationships with other multilateral development Banks, international organizations, and bilateral agencies at institutional level and strategy matters.
- Provide analytical input and strategic advice for the Bank’s resource mobilization efforts (African Development Fund replenishments, African Development Bank general capital increases, and innovative financing options).
- Support the HR and performance management of the department, including recruitment, goal setting, learning, feedback, staff performance reviews, performance improvement plans, documentation and record-keeping.
- Work closely with the Director and the Division Manager as a member of the departmental management team; represent the Director and Department at internal and external fora as required.
- Hold at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Economics, Macroeconomics or Development Economics, Finance, Strategic Management, Engineering or related development fields and a broad knowledge of development issues gained through advanced study or work experience. A PhD is an added advantage.
- Have a minimum of eight (08) years of relevant experience in Multi-lateral Financial Institutions. Proven combination of hands-on operational experience with strong analytical skills;
- Good understanding of development economics and specificities of Regional Members Countries (RMCs).
- Proven exposure to high-level policy development, negotiation, and debate fora.
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
- Authoritative understanding of principles and concepts of strategic planning, global development policy debates and major development issues.
- Excellent knowledge of the Bank or other similar intuitions’ strategy process and products.
- Proven experience in strategic planning, financial analysis report writing and reviews; demonstrated experience in impact and scenario analysis.
- Ability to provide technical leadership to develop clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies.
- Capacity to develop and adapt policies, approaches and models to meet emerging system needs and to enhance the continuing accuracy, integrity and accountability of the Bank’s financial resources.
- Ability to identify and analyze systemic issues, formulate opinions and make conclusions and recommendations to resolve same.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in a diverse organization tailoring language, tone, style and format to match audience.
- Ability to think “out of the box” and drive institutional change.
- Innovation & Creativity.
- Client Orientation.
- Problem Solving.
- Team working and relationships.
- Operational Effectiveness.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence in the use of standard MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint) and preferably SAP.
Application Closing Date
13th March, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This position is classified as international recruitment and attracts international terms and conditions of employment. Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem, to: HR Direct [email protected](link sends e-mail)
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered.
- The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts.
- The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!