The World Bank Group – Established in 1944, the WBG is one of the world’s largest sources of funding and knowledge for development solutions. In fiscal year 2018, the WBG committed $67 billion in loans, grants, equity investments and guarantees to its members and private businesses, of which $24 billion was concessional finance to its poorest members. It is governed by 188-member countries and delivers services out of 120 offices with nearly 15,000 staff located globally.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Investment Officer – Infrastructure Africa
Job #: req8478
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
IFC – a sister organization of the World Bank and member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2019, we invested more than $19 billion in private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity. For more information, visit www.ifc.org
Sustainable infrastructure is critical for addressing developmental challenges in emerging markets. IFC offers long-term financing and industry-leading expertise to develop infrastructure projects that provide essential services – including energy & electricity, telecommunications, transportation, water & and sanitation, natural resources – in partnership with the private sector. As part of the World Bank Group, we also work with governments and development partners to create a business environment that attracts private capital to infrastructure sectors.
The Africa Infrastructure team is seeking an Investment Officer for our office in Lagos, Nigeria. The selected candidate will report to the New Business Manager Infrastructure, Southern Africa, Nigeria and East Africa.
Duties and Accountabilities
- The Investment Officer will identify new investment opportunities, execute transactions and actively manage portfolio projects predominantly in Nigeria.
- Source and assess opportunities, identify bankable projects in Nigeria anticipating market trends and employing sector/country knowledge; synthesize information into internal reports for decision making purposes.
Structuring and Negotiation:
- Evaluate, structure, negotiate, and close new debt and equity transactions, portfolio restructurings, capital increases, equity sales, etc.
- Develop innovative and appropriate financial structures for complex transactions.
Deal Execution and Transaction Management:
- Deliver all transactions and accountabilities of the role efficiently, on a timely and expeditious basis and using best practice standards
- Ensure that defined transactional requirements recorded in documentation are executed accordingly
- Monitor the portfolio and report development results internally and externally
- Coordinate closely with social, environmental, legal, and technical assistance colleagues in structuring transactions, to add value to our clients’ businesses, find pragmatic solutions to project and sector challenges, and achieve sustainable development impact.
Strategy Development and Knowledge Sharing:
- Contribute to drafting strategies for sectors, countries, or regions for business development; and develop and execute strategies for more complex client engagements with the objective of building a robust investment pipeline
- Build IFC’s knowledge base for best practices and participate in knowledge sharing and dissemination
- Initiate collaboration and share expertise as a subject matter expert, providing advice, peer review and contribution to knowledge products across WBG to strengthen internal and/or external client solutions
- Promoting the IFC brand and representing IFC at various conferences and workshops.
Coordination with WBG:
- Support World Bank and MIGA colleagues on sector reform and unblocking constraints to attracting private sector capital.
Mentoring and Coaching:
- mentor and coach less-experienced colleagues to help build talent and grow the skill base of staff.
- Master’s Degree in Finance or similar relevant education.
- 10 – 12 years of experience with a development finance institution, a commercial bank, an international financial institution or a private equity firm with tasks related to private sector financing.
- Proven track-record of sourcing, structuring and closing private investment projects in infrastructure sectors, ideally including investments in Africa.
- Strong business development and client relationship skills demonstrated by track record; sound business judgment in screening and identifying leads.
- Deep industry and market knowledge of at least one infrastructure sector (energy & electricity, telecommunications, transportation, water & and sanitation, natural resources); telecoms experience is a plus; understanding of infrastructure challenges faced by countries within the region.
- Ability to interact directly and independently with the senior management of potential clients, financial and technical partners as well as senior government officials
- Project finance and equity investment experience is essential; strong credit skills backed by references and deal sheet; demonstrated ability to structure complex debt and equity transactions.
- Track record of portfolio supervision of complex projects.
- The position requires regional and international travel; hence the candidate should be willing and open to travel.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English; French is a plus.
- Strong inter-personal skills, ability to interact effectively with clients and colleagues from various cultural backgrounds.
- Highly motivated, committed to highest ethical standards.
- Genuine commitment to sustainable development.
Application Closing Date
22nd September, 2020 at 11:59pm UTC.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!