Job Title: Infectious Disease Medical Laboratory Scientist
Employment Type: Full Time
Department: Laboratory Operations
Reports to: VP, Laboratory Operations
- We are seeking highly-motivated and enthusiastic individuals to join our team in the 54gene infectious disease laboratory. Candidates must be willing to join a fast-paced environment, be willing to learn quickly, adapt to new environments and must have a keen interest in research related activities. We welcome applications from non-Nigerian candidates as well.
- The Infectious Disease Medical Laboratory scientist will be responsible for processing all samples received for infectious disease analysis in the lab.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure that collected and registered specimens correspond with the given lab numbers before processing.
- Always follow strictly to sample rejection and acceptance criteria.
- Isolate and identify microorganisms from specimens using sophisticated equipment as required.
- Quantify microbial load on specimens as applicable.
- Perform suitable rapid diagnostic tests.
- Ensure prompt test turnaround time based on SOPs; from receipt of samples to authorization and validation by the Pathologist.
- Perform both culture dependent and independent molecular analysis of microbial isolates as required.
- Ensure quality control is performed based on equipment SOPs and that maintenance logs are up to date.
- Ensure daily temperature charts are up to date (refrigerator and room temperature).
- Required to adhere to all quality and safety guidelines as stated in the laboratory manual
- Required to work in a constant state of alertness and safe manner.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Weekly / Monthly Tasks:
- Preparation of reagents, media & stains as required.
- General supervision and cleaning of laboratory equipment including, but not limited to fridges and centrifuges.
- Ensure that services are provided in an accurate, efficient, and cost-effective manner.
- Maintaining data security and strict privacy with patient laboratory records.
- Assist in reviews and revising of infectious disease SOPS and Policies.
- Assist in resolving technical and interpretative issues.
- Maintain and update professional knowledge and take responsibility for continuing professional development.
- Participate in departmental goal setting and strategy building.
Qualification and Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in medical laboratory science (Minimum 2nd class honours upper division); Core strengths in Microbiology.
- 2 years postgraduate experience in Clinical Microbiology
- Must have a valid license to practice in Nigeria.
- Masters in any of the laboratory sciences is an added advantage.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- Proficient in usage of Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS).
- Experience in an Infectious disease laboratory is an added advantage.
- Knowledge of DNA/RNA extraction, PCR, qPCR, Genotyping and Sequencing techniques is desirable but not essential.
- Authorization to work in Nigeria
- The duties stated are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and skills required.
- Other related duties may be assigned within scope of ability.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Equal Opportunity Employer
- 54gene celebrates diversity and is proud to be an inclusive employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, age, marital status, genetic information, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a mental or physical disability, or any other applicable legally protected status or characteristics.
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!
- Minimum Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Location Lagos