Job Title: HeRoN Team Leader
Reference No.: req12469
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: Yes
- The conflict in North East Nigeria has displaced over 1.9 million people and shattered livelihoods of many more. Since 2014 IRC has been delivering support to communities affected; across Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states, with field offices in Maiduguri, Monguno, Gwoza, Damaturu, Yola and Mubi and a country office in Abuja.
- With over 700 staff we deliver humanitarian support and longer term recovery programming in health, nutrition, WASH, education, protection, economic recovery and livelihoods. We work in coordination with State government Ministries, WHO, UNICEF, UNHCR, UN OCHA and other development organisations. IRC is an active participant in coordination mechanisms to contribute to improved impact.
- Health Resilience of North East Nigeria (HeRoN) is a consortium project funded by Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO), being implemented by IRC as the lead agency with other partner being AAH and SHF in Borno and Yobe states.
- The project is supporting delivery of quality integrated primary healthcare, reproductive, maternal, newborn and child health services and improve evidence based decision making, accountability at all levels of service delivery.
- The consortium will work alongside state and local government authorities building their capacity to effectively deliver quality integrated primary healthcare, reproductive, maternal, and newborn and child health and nutrition services.
Scope of Work:
- The Team Leader (TL) will be responsible for the overall technical, financial and operational management of the programme, reporting to the Deputy Director for Programmes within the IRC Nigeria office.
- The TL will serve as the liaision with state government authorities, development actors and stakeholders. The TL should be a proactive and dynamic TL who will provide high quality coordination, leadership and strategic direction to the project consortium, as well as to the various health partners at the state levels and ensures that the project is effectively managed and implemented in accordance with donor regulations, and internationally recognized humanitarian standards in collaboration with relevant teams and consortium.
- You will support project initiatives to adequately address the needs of the beneficiary population in the most cost-effective and inclusive manner.
- This position will be based in Maiduguri, Borno State, with regular trips to the field.
- Provide overall technical leadership, financial oversight and operational management of the programme
- Serve as the consottium’s representative to the donor, State Ministry of Health (SMoH) and other technical agencies and organizations
- Provide high quality leadership and strategic vision to the consortium, with hands on management ensuring programme activities achieve the greatest coverage and impact possible, coordinated inputs and technical/managerial quality and programming that is data driven and adapts and changes with the context
- Supervise the Senior Programme Management Team, which includes the Deputy Team Leader, the Finance Lead, the Operations Lead, and Technical staff members
- Overall management of a team of diverse staff, cultivating and maintaining a work environment that promotes collaboration, trust, mutual respect, and empowers staff to take responsibility
- Ensure a culture of Client Responsivenss though policies that facilitate client responsiveness through resource allocation, advocacy, and project design and by requesting and using client feedback data to make decisions
- Regular coordination with the supplier implementing the FCDO contract aspects of their Health Business Case
- Representation to donor and partners including government officials, CSOs, INGOs and development partners
- Engagement and coordination with humanitarian and development coordination mechanisms, ensuring regular programme updates to partners and stakeholders and promotion of joint planning and implementation
- Programme implementation in compliance with FCDO regulations, agreements signed with partners and IRC internal policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated expertise in health and nutrition service delivery in insecure environments and areas affected by crisis
- Minimum of 10 years of increasingly responsible experience in humanitarian and development program management
- Master’s degree in relevant health related subject, post-graduate medical degree (MPH, MD, RN, PA, or midwife), or other relevant degree
- Validated leadership and strategic planning capabilities
- Experience running large, geographically dispersed teams and working in tandem with local and international partners
- Demonstrated experience leading and managing inter-institutional coordinating functions within a multi-cultural operating environment
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills with evidence of ability to productively interact with a wide range and levels of organizations (government, private sector, NGOs, research institutions)
- Demonstrated good judgment and decision-making skills
- Fluency in English (spoken and written)
- Excellent IT skills (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Ability to handle a large and dynamic workload, work under pressure and meet deadlines;
- Previous work experience in Africa, field experience in Nigeria is preferred
- Strong internal and external communications skills, experience with advocacy an advantage
- Nigeria nationals or long-term residents are particularly encouraged to apply.
Standards for Professional Conduct:
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
- IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer:
- IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!
- Minimum Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Location Maiduguri, Borno