Job Title: Nurse Assistant
Location: Monguno, Borno
Number of Position: 06
Contract Start Date: ASAP
Contract duration: 5 months (with posssible extension)
- Under the direct supervision of the OPD Supervisor or Team Leader, the Nurse assistant provides patients’ health care in collaboration other health team members in the facility.
- S/he assists the nurse and the rest of the medical team on duty with general nursing activities and over-all patient care according to international/national protocol and the given instructions under strict supervision/monitoring of a nurse, a supervisor or team leader.
- S/he follows PUI protocols and standards to ensure quality and continuity of care, promotion and restoration of health of the patients and population.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Perform general nursing duties such as monitoring of patient vital signs, wound care and dressings, insertion of cannulas, administration of IV fluids and injections, administration of Nebulisers as prescribed by a clinician
- Participate in the preparation of the material equipment and drugs for the consultation
- Conduct triage according to nurses’ protocols, detect priority acute cases in the waiting area and fill the health card (weight, BP, HR, temperature etc)
- Check the vaccination status of children less than 5 years old
- Ensure the good flow of patients avoiding overcrowded rooms and having patients standing up for long time while waiting for their turn
- Ensure a good level of communication and understanding between the PHC team and the patients
- Carry out first aid care when necessary
- Follow medical prescriptions
- Assist the clinician during certain health care acts when it is necessary
- Assist the clinician in the management of the referral cases
- Perform basic laboratory tests as requested by the clinician. (e.g. urinary sticks, pregnancy tests, capillary blood sugar, hemoglobin level)
- Provide health education following the protocols and key messages regarding hygiene, diseases, and prevention
- Educate patients in the self-management of their conditions and usage of medications Follow waste management according to waste management procedures
- Clean and sterilize the medical material according to procedures
- Collaborate with other departments as needed to ensure smooth implementation and integration of services
- Participate in any other activities such as vaccination, survey, etc…according to the needs
- Maintain the working environment in a clean and presentable state.
Medical Data Collection And Reporting:
- Verify that the medical prescriptions are readable, dated and signed
- Check expiry dates of medicines and report it directly to the supervisor
- Record accurately for each area, on a timely manner, the personal and health related data on the health card
- Register all the data needed about patients, referral, treatment in the appropriate registers and files
- Report to the supervisor any problem in the clinic especially the gap/loss/robbery/damage of medical equipment or medicines or any patient and organizational issue
- Ensure an oral and written handover at every team changeover, draw attention to any notable events during the shift
- Report directly any difficulties or delays in the implementation of activities
- Inform the direct supervisor of the various needs.
Internal And External Representation:
- Participate in any training in order to improve the quality and efficiency of nursing cares and duties
- Participate actively in meetings when required.
The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
Priorities of the Department:
- Assessment on beneficiaries at risk and diagnosed individuals with communicable and non-communicable diseases or other diseases of public health relevant and treat him.
- Provide frequent feedback on health-illness patterns observed in the field that require further assessment.
- Report to line manager periodically regarding context changes that affect the modality of intervention.
- Education degree: Nigerian health care qualification or Community Health Extension Worker (CHEW) qualified under the Nigerian health care legislation
- Work experience: Minimum of 1 year of experience as nursing assistant/ nursing aid or similar. Work experience with other NGO’s would be an asset
- Language skills: Fluent in English and Hausa, knowledge in Kanuri is an asset
Knowledge and skills:
- Technical knowledge about use of medical equipment
- Good knowledge of Public Health.
- Good knowledge of Medical ethics.
- Interests: Working in humanitarian relief
- Conflict resolution and diplomacy experience
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation within a mission or the organization itself
- Ability to analyze and suggest improvements of the activities
- Well organized and hard worker
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Team Spirit
- Be available for any emergency
- Able to check validity of information, logical thinking
Application Closing Date
12th February, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Open to Nigeria Nationals Only.
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!
- Minimum Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Location Monguno, Borno