Job Title: Education Technical Assistant
Job Identification: 1059
Location: Jos, Plateau
Job Schedule: Full time
Job Category: Education
Level: Grade Level 4 Step 1 (Nigerian National)
Reports to: Education Coordinator
Travel: 70% travel to other implementing LGA’s
Project Number: NGFM2022
Commencement: 1st May, 2021
Duration and type of contract: 12 months
- NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015 in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in Yola Area Office, Field Offices in Borno and Adamawa states and a coordination office in Abuja. NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH); Livelihoods & Food Security (LFS); Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA), Education and Camp Management Camp Coordination (CCCM) in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
- NRC’s Education Core Competency is currently implementing projects focused on support to non-formal education and formal literacy, numeracy and vocational education classes for children and youth. These activities include teacher training, construction of temporary learning spaces, community mobilization and training for school-based management councils. NRC will be implementing a grant focused on vocational training, livelihoods and peacebuilding in Plateau State.
- NRC is looking for an Education Technical Assistant for our Jos – Plateau State Office in east-central Nigeria. The purpose of the Education Technical Assistant position is to day-to-day implementation of the Education project.
- The Education Technical Assistant reports to the Education Coordinator – Jos. This position is open to Nigerian nationals only!
Role and Responsibilities
The purpose of the Education Assistant is to provide technical support to education program on implementation including planning, implementation, engagement with project stakeholders, distribution of learning materials and monitoring of project activities.
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Assist a range of support with the implementation of the CC portfolio according to plan of action
- Implements independently procedures and activities within own function or core competency as delegated
- Responsible for organising and delivery of tasks in line with priorities and standards
- Develop and maintain knowledge of the specialist area of work in which technical assistance and support is being provided, in order to be most effective in supporting the team
- Use initiative in day to day problem solving in line with agreed procedures, priorities and standards for the area of work
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote and share ideas for improvement in your area of expertise
- Line managing two Education Assistants and provide technical and administrative support and capacity development.
- Preparing key planning documents including workplans to support the achievement of project indicators.
- Ensuring that activities are implemented on time and in compliance with organizational and donor requirements.
- Monitoring and ensuring that spending is compliant with the project budget.
- Monitoring implementation and documentation of activities in the field.
- Engaging with community leaders, parents, youth and other stakeholders.
- Applying protection and prevention mechanisms in all project activities and interactions to ensure the safety and wellbeing of staff and beneficiaries
- Representing NRC in meetings and coordination with education actors in the area, communities and LGA education and government representatives.
The Education Technical Assistant will interact with the following:
- Project planning and implementation: Area Manager, Project Manager, Education Officer, Education Coordinator, Education Specialist, Field Office Coordinator, Support Coordinators.
- Area operations: Area Manager, Project Manager, Field Office Coordinator
- Staff capacity building: Area Manager, Project Manager, Education Coordinator, Education Specialist
- Sector coordination and representation: other NGOs and UN agencies working in education in the area and Education Secretaries for the LGA, beneficiary communities
Scale and Scope of Position:
- Staff: Supervision of vocational and peacebuilding contractors, enumerators and casual laborers
- Stakeholders: Key external stakeholders including LGA level MoE and SAME officials; CSOs, INGOs and local NGOs, community leaders, youth and parents in project focus areas.
- Budgets: Responsible for ensuring that activities are implemented according to the project budget.
- Information: NA
- Legal or compliance: Donor guidelines relating to Education projects, NRC Terms of Employment, NRC security policy, NRC Code of Conduct, other NRC Policies, NRC Security Standard Operating Procedures, vendor requirements.
- A minimum of 1 year of experience implementing education projects
- Candidates with university degree preferred; significant experience in the field of education, peacebuilding, vocational education or youth programming will be considered in lieu.
- Technical education expertise in education
- Development of reports and workplans.
- Experience coordinating with local government and community representatives
- Fluency in English, both written and spoken
- Fluency in spoken Hausa
Context Specific Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Knowledge of the humanitarian situation and implementation challenges in Nigeria
- Fluency in at least one additional local language of the project implementation area.
- Experience liaising with NGO and government education stakeholders at LGA level an asset
- Handling insecure environments
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance and development
- Planning and delivering results.
The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the NRC Performance Management Manual. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- The Job Description
- The Work and Development Plan
- TheMid-term/End-of-trial Period Performance Review Template
- The End-term Performance Review Template
- The NRC Competency Framework.
Application Closing Date
1:00 AM: 22nd March, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Employment with NRC may lead to employment in or deployment to Regions, Countries, Areas or Offices that may be host to considerable health, safety and security risks. NRC takes this very seriously and we have procedures in place to reduce known risks, but will never be able to take away all risks.
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!