Job Title: Government Liaison Adviser
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Type: Full Time
Status: National Employee
- NIF was established in 2014 to facilitate the coordination and cooperation of humanitarian and development INGO’s and between INGOs and external stakeholders including Government of Nigeria, Nigerian civil society, UN agencies, diplomatic actors, and donors. NIF exists to facilitate members’ collective action in the principled and effective delivery of much needed assistance to save and improve the lives of poor and vulnerable people.
- Through strengthening coordination within the Forum, increasing information sharing and fostering partnerships with all actors, including the Government of Nigeria, United Nations, national NGOs and donors, we work as the critical link pushing for increased efficiency and effectiveness in the delivery and usage of much needed aid to affected populations.
General Roles and Responsibilities
Role and responsibilities:
- The purpose of the adviser position is to promote efforts humanitarian coordination, and support day-to-day implementation of the Nigeria INGO Forum (NIF) project as well as humanitarian access efforts.
Generic Responsibilities (max 10):
These responsibilities shall be the same for all positions with the same title. The responsibilities shall be short and essential. Details belong in the Work and Development plan.
- Adherence to IMMAP policies, guidance and procedures
- Contribute to the development of NIF strategies, initiate and participate in the development of relevant NIF projects
- Coordinate and manage NIF project implementation (activities, budget and project documentation) in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements
- Support locally driven evidence/ data collection to support Forum advocacy and representation on priority issues this includes media and issue monitoring, context analysis, and drafting short briefs. Works closely with the Policy Adviser on issues related to national engagement and advocacy.
- Develop communication and information products to support NGO operations and engagement in broader Forum activities and to be regularly informed about the Nigeria context
- Implement technical direction and ensure high technical quality of projects
- Provide regular progress reports to the Deputy Director
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need of protection, explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- These responsibilities shall be adapted to the particularities of the job location and context, phase of operation, strategic focus and type of intervention. This section shall be revised whenever a new employee is hired or the context changes significantly.
- Stay abreast of political developments and humanitarian trends in Nigeria, with an emphasis on the humanitarian crisis in the NE, informing NIF members where relevant.
- Ensuring sufficient capacity and knowledge to support policy analysis and strategic planning around the humanitarian architecture and operational issues.
- Carry out regular stakeholders’ engagement trainings and contribute to donor reports on outcomes and output of activities.
- Collaborate with the NIF Deputy Director to represent NIF at meetings with external engagement targets.
- Support state representatives in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe States to identify opportunities for engagement with authorities on thematic issues
- Stemming from priorities identified by NIF membership, the post holder is responsible for developing, updating and implementing NIF influence and negotiation strategy on behalf of/in collaboration with the NIF membership.
- Lead the process of drafting NIF positions and related negotiation strategies based on priorities identified by NIF members
- Work with the Deputy Director to strengthen engagement with Government entities in the northeast Nigeria e.g, Federal and State Inland Revenue, Nigeria Immigration Service, EFCC, SEMA, Ministry of RRR, BAY States coordinating agencies for humanitarian and development activities, Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs and other Nigerian government structures as needed.
- Identify opportunities for effective engagement with national and local stakeholders including NNGOs, LNGOs, traditional, religious and Community leaders
- Advise and contribute to and coordinating the development of NIF positions, managing various communication activities, leading on the communication of NIF positions amongst key stakeholders including, where necessary, national and international media, and the wider humanitarian community
- ·Serves as co-chair and provides leadership to the NIF Humanitarian platform and the implementation of decisions taken at these meetings
- Coordinate and monitor Government’s engagement messages and initiatives to ensure impact and that NIF external Engagement is in line with good humanitarian and development principles
- Update the NIF Government engagement strategy in collaboration with the NIF membership and Executive Committee, developing a periodical review and feedback of the implementation of NIF Engagement activities
- Develop and implement an annual government Engagement strategy for the Forum in collaboration with the membership with clear timelines and products
- Identify and lead (when appropriate) engagement initiatives for the membership through mobilising members and through the production of joint influencing products
- Support overall Forum engagement efforts through developing and facilitating relevant influencing products including policy briefs, briefing notes, position papers and background papers. Lead the process as appropriate and get member consensus for sign on
- Foster relationships with political stakeholders, raise awareness about the NIF Influencing and negotiation strategy and messages among political stakeholders
- Ensure more effective and consistent communication and engagement with the UN, local authorities, civil society, donors, embassies and other stakeholders
- Organize and facilitate NIF lobby subcommittee meetings in the north-east Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states.
- Provide support and advisory to the NIF access team in government engagement for access advocacy and operational related tasks
- Organize and facilitate workshops and other capacity development, as necessary.
- Ensure INGO Forum government influencing and negotiation strategy is updated, is practical and actioned by Forum members
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- University Degree in Conflict and Development, International Relations, International Humanitarian Law or related technical field.
- Experience working with government institutions in northeast Nigeria
- Strong influential relationship with Nigerian government and other stakeholders in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states that can yield positive results
- Experience with developing and implementing Access and AAP related strategic objectives
- Knowledge of the humanitarian coordination system and the mandates of the actors involved.
- Good knowledge of the security environment and economic, socio-political dynamics in North East Nigeria, the Lake Chad Basin and Sahel region in general
- Strong data analytical and interpretation skills.
- Commitment to and understanding of international humanitarian standards and principles.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced and often demanding environment.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and experience in humanitarian setting.
Generic professional competencies:
- Experience from working within technical expertise area in a humanitarian/ recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Core competency expertise
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Spoken fluency in Hausa or Kanuri
Application Closing Date
5th June, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!