Job Title: Gender Expert – IOM Nigeria Immigration and Border Management Programme
SVN No.: CFCV2021/08
Organizational Unit: IBM
IOM Classification: Consultant
Type of Appointment: Consultant, 30 working days with a possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- To strengthen government agencies’ institutions and systems for gender mainstreaming, it is important that the TSI-2 training curriculum modules and IBM training programs adequately explore, cover and address gender in its entirety, including the importance of relevant privacy and data protection principles.
- The gender analysis will aim to identify gender-based constraints related, but not limited, to the areas outlined below and provide practical recommendations so the program can design interventions that respond to, accommodate, or overcome the constraints identified. It might be useful to group the identified constraints and practical recommendations by categories as appropriate.
- Under the overall supervision of the Immigration and Border Management (IBM) Senior Program Manager and direct supervision of IBM Program Manager in coordination with the TSI Senior Program Assistants, the successful candidate is expected to undertake gender analysis in order to effectively mainstream gender into the IBM training activities under the IBM projects portfolio including the named project “Nigeria Immigration Service Training Strategy Implementation – Phase 2” (NIS TSI-2).
- Funded by The Kingdom of Netherlands, the programme is implemented in collaboration with the NIS, the National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) and Port Health Services (PHS.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
Category 1: Conduct a Gender Analysis for the TSI Project activities:
- Conduct a detailed gender analysis and needs assessments (qualitative and quantitative) as guided by IOM’s Gender Marker Guide, particularly emphasizing gender issues in the required area(s) of intervention (e.g. opportunities and constraints on different gender groups’ participation in programme activities and trainings, gender division of labour, gender needs, preferences and capacities,).
- Assess and identify potential gender-related impacts of the IBM programme, including how different gender groups are impacted differently.
- Collect sex-disaggregated baseline data that could be used to monitor potential gender-related impacts.
- Assess the capacity and practices of key partners as well as the project’s capacity and practices to deliver gender-responsive services/programming and identify training needs of staff members and/or stakeholders on identified gaps.
- Identify gender-based constraints (programme based and stakeholder based) and proffer recommendations for ensuring that different gender groups benefit from the project’s activities.
- Draft a monitoring action plan, co-developed with project staff and outlining the different roles and responsibilities of staff with respect to the action plan and indicators to measure the success of actions.
Category 2: Develop a road map and action plan for the implementation of gender mainstreaming:
- Based on the gender analysis, develop an action plan identifying entry points for mainstreaming gender into the project. The action plan should reflect the project’s objectives and implementation arrangements.
- Integrate relevant gender components from the action plan for gender mainstreaming in the training documents and relevant project documents.
- Prepare and submit reports on the gender analysis/activities
Other related duties
- Sensitization of NIS and NAPTIP on gender mainstreaming for the project.
- Develop a pocket manual on gender mainstreaming.
- In coordination with the IBM Unit team contribute to IBM training program reports/evaluation.
- Other related duties as assigned by the IBM Senior Program Manager
Tangible and Measurable Output of the work assignment
- Develop methodology tools for the assignment.
- Conduct in depth project gender analysis.
- Sensitize project stakeholders on gender mainstreaming.
- Develop road map and action plan for gender mainstreaming into the project.
- Integrate gender components in IOM training curriculum and other relevant project documents
- Develop a pocket manual on gender mainstreaming.
- Prepare final report.
- Methodology tools for the assignment is prepared.
- In depth gender analysis for the project is conducted.
- Project stakeholders are sensitized on gender mainstreaming.
- Road map and action plan for gender mainstreaming into the project are developed.
- A pocket manual on gender mainstreaming is developed.
- Final reports are submitted within the agreed timeline.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s and/or PhD degree in Social Science, political science, policy studies, adult learning strategies and/or other relevant discipline preferably with a specialization in gender and project cycle management; or
- University degree in the above fields with five years of practical experience in the field of gender equality and gender mainstreaming.
- Formal training in gender analysis and gender planning and demonstrated expertise in mainstreaming gender in projects and programmes, especially in specific area of intervention;
- Thorough understanding of the gender context in Nigeria
- Familiarity with gender analysis tools and methodologies in the specific area of intervention;
- Strong communication skills, and ability to liaise with various stakeholders, including government officials
- Experience in working with relevant government authorities, governmental and non-governmental institutions supporting gender and development work in the specific area of intervention (migration and border management and counter trafficking).
- Demonstrated ability to write high quality, methodologically sound, analytical papers in English. Knowledge of French is an asset.
- Be willing to undertake in-country travel related to the assignment
- Fluency in English; knowledge of multiple languages advantageous.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
- Female candidates are encouraged to apply
Application Closing Date
31st January, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to: [email protected] using the “Job Title” as the subject of the email.
- For the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line CFCV2021/08 Abuja. Consultant (Gender Expert for IOM Nigeria IBM Programme)
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!
- Minimum Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Location Abuja, Abuja, Abuja