Job Title: Finance Assistant
SVN No.: SVN2020.067
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
IOM Classification: G5
Organizational Unit: Resource Management
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term (SST) 6 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Slot: 2 Openings
- Working under the overall supervision of the Head of Sub Office in Maiduguri, the overall guidance of the Senior Resource
- Management Officer (SRMO) in Abuja and the direct supervision of the Resource Management Officer (RMO) in Maiduguri, the incumbent will perform the following tasks:
Core Functions / Responsibilities
Budget, Project Monitoring & Reporting:
- Assist in preparation of annual budget submission and revisions including estimating the cost of staff as well as rental and utilities, office equipment and supplies, printing, and other contracts, services or running expenses, to include in the budget.
- Analyses and report on expenditure and variations within projects. Bring to the attention of the supervisor any relevant financial and budgetary issues on an ongoing basis.
- Provide assistance for the preparation of new budgets with regard to project development, management and reporting to Project Managers and the Chief of Mission.
- Assist in managing financial resources through monitoring and controlling of the resources in accordance with IOM rules and regulations.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly, quarterly or annual financial reports, including financial reports for the Mission and donors, adhering to established reporting deadlines set by project agreements.
- Support in timely review of cash position for local accounts to ensure sufficient funds on hand for disbursements.
- Enter payments, receipts and non-cash vouchers in SAP accounting system
- Ensure all supporting documentation and signatures are obtained before finalizing vouchers.
- Maintain the Petty Cash account of the Mission.
- Support the Head of Finance to maintain appropriate internal controls to safeguard the assets, control cash and prevent fraud.
- Support with the maintenance of an effective banking system in the mission including the sub offices
- Primary contact with the local bank management in Lagos and the sub-offices on routine operational matters including negotiation of exchange rate on currency conversion.
- Participate in preparation of funding requests for the mission and ensure that sufficient funds are available locally.
- Participate in the pre-grant financial assessments of potential partners by reviewing partner financial information for any indications of poor financial management.
- Assist in reviewing proposals from potential partners, making recommendations on:
- Reasonableness of the proposed budget
- Actions that need to be undertaken before entering into a grant agreement
- Requirements that should be incorporated into partners’ grant agreement to manage specific risks.
- Assist in monitoring the financial aspect of the successful implementation of grants under the program throughout the lifecycle of each grant – from award to close out.
- Monitor administrative and financial compliance of all grants. Train the admin and finance staff of partners as appropriate.
- Review disbursement requests to verify that all reporting and compliance requirements and/or pending queries have been satisfied before funds are disbursed.
- Assist in reviewing and analyzing all financial reports submitted by partners; verify compliance with the requirements as per grants agreement
- Participate in implementation and monitoring of action plans to mitigate partners’ financial management weaknesses.
- Prepare monthly accounting returns package to be sent to HQ & regional offices
- Recommend improvements to internal controls to improve operational efficiencies.
- Maintains appropriate financial filing system.
- Maintain files of all financial instructions / guidelines issued as reference for completion of work assignments.
- Provide guidance and training to new / junior staff
- Perform any other duties as may be assign by supervisor.
- Degree / Certificate from an accredited academic institution in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration preferably with a professional certification as chartered accountant or certified public accountant; in related field; or an equivalent combination of education, training & experience;
- Minimum five years (Three years for Degree Holders) in related field; preferably within the United Nations and the International Humanitarian Field
- Proactive; Independent Worker; A great team player;
- Knowledge of IPSAS and SAP highly desirable;
- Knowledge of IOM accounting system, software and procedure a distinct advantage.
- Fast Learner; IT Literate; Interpersonal Skills; Administrative & Time Management Skills.
- English and Native Languages and working knowledge the local languages Hausa / Kanuri.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles / rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
Application Closing Date
22nd October, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications via email to: [email protected]t indicating position number on subject line.
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to: Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM)” and with a subject line SVN2020.067 Maiduguri. Finance Assistant, G5.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station and within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- Female candidates with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!