The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO-UN) – An intergovernmental organization, FAO has 194 Member Nations, two associate members and one member organization, the European Union. Its employees come from various cultural backgrounds and are experts in the multiple fields of activity FAO engages in. FAO’s staff capacity allows it to support improved governance inter alia, generate, develop and adapt existing tools and guidelines and provide targeted governance support as a resource to country and regional level FAO offices. Headquartered in Rome, Italy, FAO is present in over 130 countries.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Emergency Programme Specialist / Area Coordinator
Job Code: 2002717
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Organizational Unit: FRNIR
Duration: Up to 11 months
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition: Consultant / PSA (Personal Services Agreement)
- Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative, the direct supervision of the Head of the FAO North East Sub-Office and in close collaboration with the Emergency Programme Coordinator and other relevant units, the Area Coordinator will support the strategic, programmatic and operational aspects of the FAO programme in Yobe and Adamawa States in North East Nigeria.
- The consultant reports to the Head of the Sub-Office in the North East Nigeria.
- FAO programme activities and operations in North East Nigeria are supported in terms of programme definition, coverage and implementation with relevant partners, and are technically sound and responsive to both donor commitments and the needs of affected populations and the sector.
- FAO programme activities and operations in Yobe and Adamawa States are implemented and monitored in a timely and effective manner.
- Food Security in the Areas of Responsibility (AoRs) are continuously analysed and structured and feed into FAO’s programming.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Coordinate and ensure the implementation of emergency and rehabilitation operations related to agriculture, livestock, forestry, fisheries and natural resource management activities and other areas of FAO’s mandate in Yobe and Adamawa States;
- Support the FAO Nigeria Country Team in the design of concept notes, project proposals and the formulation of progress and terminal reports for submission to donors and UN programmes;
- Provide programmatic support and analysis to ensure that key areas – e.g. civil society, gender and youth; resilience; governance and conflict management; equality and humanitarian principles – are appropriately reflected in emergency projects;
- Strengthen partnerships with State Governments – including key State Ministries; State Emergency Management Agencies (SEMAs), Presidential Committee on the North East Initiative (PCNI) – national and international non-governmental organizations, potential implementing partners, donors and other UN agencies in order to reinforce synergies between key stakeholders and ensure effective implementation of field activities;
- Supervise and strengthen the capacity of National Programme Personnel and Field Assistants in Yobe and Adamawa States and conduct periodic quality assessment of personnel in the field to inform contract renewals / extensions;
- Contribute to raising awareness of FAO’s mandate and interventions / activities implemented in North East Nigeria;
- Support the collection and analysis of information on livelihoods and agricultural production needs in North East Nigeria;
- Support the definition of FAO’s strategic positioning in relation to its emergency and resilience response in North East Nigeria;
- Assist with interagency coordination and liaison with other UN agencies and partners (NGOs, national authorities, donor community, etc.) involved in relief and rehabilitation activities, promoting the FAO mandate, roles and competence;
- Participate in emergency response programming and recovery/rehabilitation planning including through interagency coordination platforms;
- Contribute FAO inputs to relevant interagency documents and briefs on the humanitarian situation in North East Nigeria, prepare briefs and reports on FAO programmes in response to the crisis;
- Contribute to the M&E performance monitoring plan and strategy;
- Contribute to the coordinating functions of the Food Security Sector;
- Participate in internal meetings, facilitate information sharing, assist in planning and coordination of internal activities, and assist in monitoring the timely implementation of decisions taken;
- Produce quality and timely reports on interventions in the Area of Operation;
- Ensure that reports / Notes-for-file are prepared for all meetings and missions which should be cleared and uploaded to the relevant folder of the FAONG shared space;
- Perform other related duties as required.
Candidates will be assessed against the following:
- Advanced University degree in Development Studies, Economics, International Relations, Agricultural / Natural Sciences or other relevant field;
- At least five years of experience performing similar functions, particularly in leading a Field Office and in project / programme management;
- Working knowledge of English, both verbal and written and limited knowledge of French or of one of the other FAO official languages.
FAO Core Competencies:
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
Technical / Functional Skills:
- Extent of experience in emergency relief and rehabilitation operations, particularly in the food security and agriculture sector and in interagency coordination;
- Demonstrated experience working in complex environments and / or field level in developing countries;
- Demonstrated ability to analyze complex emergency situations;
- Familiarity with the UN system in general, and FAO in particular;
- Demonstrated communication skills in English, both verbal and written;
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work in a team;
- Ability to travel across North East Nigeria as required;
- Extent of familiarity with the region.
Application Closing Date
8th December, 2020; 11:59:00 PM
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Additional Information and Notice
- Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency
- FAO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing)
- Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU / UNESCO list
- If you are in possession of language certificate / s from UN accredited external providers and / or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT), please attach the certificate / s when submitting the application.
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
- People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
- The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and / or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
- Important Notice: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!