Job Title: Education Officer
Job Identification: 4136
Location: Pulka, Borno
Job Category: Education
Role and Responsibilities
- The Education Officer is responsible for supervising implementation and monitoring of project activities in the field, managing Education Assistants, and reporting progress to supervisors.
- Ensure adherence to NRC policies, tools, handbooks, guidelines, and donor requirements including strict adherence to the Code of Conduct and Child Safeguarding Policies
- Prepare plans based on proposals, log frames, and budgets
- Implement activities in coherence with project documents
- Prepare regular reports and other documents to capture project progress and achievements
- Represent NRC and coordinate with government, partner, and education stakeholders
- Provide capacity building for staff and contractors
- Identify and share ideas for improvement of the Education program.
- Plan and implement program activities in compliance with project log frame, budget, work plan, proposal, NRC, donor and humanitarian practices, and guidance provided by the Education Manager or Coordinator and Education Specialist
- Develop and apply work plans, procurement plans, and spending plans to ensure on-time implementation of project activities
- Contribute to monthly, quarterly, and annual internal and external reports
- Formally or informally identify capacity development needs for Education staff and contractors, identify or provide training and follow-up mentoring.
- Oversee the work of Education Assistants, identify capacity building needs and provide technical and administrative support and mentoring as needed
- Supervise the collection of data including baseline
- Ensure that all necessary documents and means of verification for all activities are captured and stored electronically
- Oversee recruitment and procurement processes in coordination with Education Assistants and NRC’s Human Resources and Procurement units and follow up as necessary
- Represent NRC to government authorities and ensure that all project activities are done in coordination with the government
- Engage and coordinate with government authorities, communities, community leaders, parent groups, school management, and other organizations implementing education activities including the Education in Emergencies Working Group and implementing partners
- Ensure effective coordination with NRC’s Shelter, WASH, Information Counseling and Legal Assistance (ICLA), Camp Coordination and Camp Manager (CCCM), Monitoring and Evaluation, Protection and Compliance units.
- Supervise and submit needs assessment, data collection and submission and collection of documentation and verification of project activities
- Any other task relevant to the position as requested by the line and/or technical manager.
Relevant interfaces for this position are:
- Project planning: Education Coordinator, Manager, and Specialist
- Area operations: Procurement Officers, Human Resource Officers, Finance Officer, Monitoring and Evaluation Officer, Field Office Coordinator
- Implementation: Education Coordinator, Shelter and WASH Officers, Protection Officer, M&E Officer, Support Officers, Compliance Coordinator.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Development, Management or a related field with a Master’s Degree preferred.
- At least two years of experience working with a national or international NGO or United Nations agency in the northeast of Nigeria.
- At least one year of experience managing program staff and implementation in the field with experience in education preferred.
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Understanding of data collection and analysis and documentation of results
- Experience mobilizing communities and interacting with government education authorities
- Analytic and computer skills including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- Fluency in English, both written and oral required.
- Managing resources and achieving results
- Handling insecure environments
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Management of teams.
Context-specific Skills, Knowledge, and Experience:
- Understanding of the education context and humanitarian and development response in northeastern Nigeria, with specific experience in northeast Nigeria preferred.
- Fluent spoken Hausa language, with other local languages an advantage
- Experience with non-formal and vocational education and support to formal education preferred
- Documented experience working with local government authorities and IDP, returnee, and host communities
- Experience with budgeting, procurement, and recruitment of staff and contractors
- Understanding of humanitarian, development, and protection standards and their application in the field
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The following behavioral competencies are essential for this position:
- Handling insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect.
The employee will be accountable for and evaluated on the responsibilities and the competencies, based on NRC’s Performance Management System. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- The Job Description
- The Work and Development Plan
- The Mid-term/End-of-trial Period Performance Review Template
- The End-term Performance Review Template
- The NRC Competency Framework.
Application Closing Date
28th December, 2021 by 8:27 AM.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!