Job Title: Education in Emergency Officer
Job Code: 20000650
Location: Maiduguri, Borno (Nigeria Country Office)
- Level 3- The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children or young people and, in the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3 posts in view of potential situations which may allow staff unsupervised access to vulnerable children and young people.
- Work closely with, SUBEB, SEMA, MoE, NEMA, UNICEF, local implementing partners, members of the Education sector working Group, UN-OCHA and other UN agencies, to ensure that the programme goals are achieved. Specific areas of concern are to facilitate the access to quality education opportunity for children, provision of learning kits to support children learning outcomes, capacity building to teachers and SBMC members.
- He / She provides overall leadership at a strategic and programme level for the sector, and ensures that SC vision and overall program goals related to the sector are met.
- He / She provides managerial, technical, and administrative support to the partners.
- He / She is responsible to contribute on designing programmes and writing proposals for new or ongoing projects in line with SC goals and strategic directions.
- For purposes of ensuring healthy collaboration between the sector’s work and other projects or initiatives in North Eastern region, the Education in Emergency Officer will actively participate in education-related activities and meetings, and will also seek active collaboration with other players working in the education sector.
Key Areas of Accountability
Under the direct supervision of the Education Coordinator, with frequent contact with the Education Program Manager and in close coordination with the Head of Education in Abuja:
Programme development and Implementation:
- With the support and guidance of Education Coordinator and the Education program manager, lead the implementation of Save the Children’s education project activities with vulnerable IDP Household and host communities through provision of EiE and ECCD services to the children.
- Work with communities and stakeholder to strengthen gender responsive education, established Community Education Committee in project locations to support the process.
- Identify critical program gaps and vulnerabilities, and clarify roles, responsibilities and accountabilities to effectively address those gaps
- Ensure quality in the programme by building capacity of the local staff and teachers through trainings in pedagogy, psychosocial support, life skills etc.
- Provide guidance to field-based education team on common standards, innovative strategies and approaches which ensure a capacity to address SC Commitments for Children in Emergencies, and reflect good practice in emergency education responses
- Line management of the education project staff
- Prepare performance objectives together with program staffs and give the necessary feedback, follow up and support to improve staff performance.
Monitoring and Reporting:
- Contribute to the development of appropriate and effective program monitoring systems to enable assessment of both the emergency response process and impact and to ensure delivery of results for children
- Prepare implementation reports, weekly, monthly or other periodical reports for SCI and funding partners
- Reporting on progress and documentation of best practices
- Support in development of communication materials, case studies and blogs.
Coordination and Networking:
- Working closely with the Education Coordinator and the Education Program Manager to develop partnerships to leverage resources, ensure adequate coverage in the emergency response and early recovery phases, and ensure adequate funding consistent with SC resource mobilisation strategy and emergency response plans
- Advocate for, and support, the development of sustainable, child-friendly and hazard-resistant standards and designs for learning centres, the integration of life skills into both formal and non-formal education, with a particular focus on Disaster Risk Reduction( DRR)
- Represent SCI programme in the coordination at state levels; represent SC at the State Education Sector Working Group meetings , working closely with UNICEF, SEMA, UNOCHA among others, to address issues related to strategic planning, roles and responsibilities of sector partners, and joint advocacy
Qualifications and Experience
- University Degree in Education, Social Sciences or related technical field.
- Three year progressive experience in Education in Emergencies, programme design, administration, monitoring and evaluation or related field.
- Previous experience in working with capacity building / training facilitation is desirable.
- Excellent Computing and data management skills.
- Ability to adapt and work effectively in remote areas, work in a challenging work environment with minimal direct supervision.
- Ability to take personal responsibility for completing tasks to a high standard and to meet deadlines.
- Willingness to work flexibly and professionally in a dynamic and fast-moving environment
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
Application Closing Date
28th October, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Save the Children is committed to ensuring that all our personnel and programmes are absolutely safe for children.
- We undertake rigorous procedures to ensure that only people suitable to work with children are allowed to join our organization and all candidates will, therefore, be subject to this scrutiny.
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
- Applicants are advised that Save the Children International does not require any payment or expense during the entire recruitment process. Any request in this direction should be immediately reported as it is contrary to the values and practices of our organization.
- Due to the volume of applications received, Save the Children may not provide feedback to all applicants. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed as received. Save the Children reserves the right to change the closing date, if considered necessary.
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!
- Minimum Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Location Maiduguri, Borno