Job Title: Education in Emergency Officer
Job Number: 21000221
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Team / Programme: NMFA
Contract Length: Fixed Term
Post Type: National
- Level 3: The post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
- The person is responsible for the day to day implementation of education projects in Yobe state northeast Nigeria.
- The Education Officer provides both operations and technical assistance relating to Education in Emergencies projects.
- The job holder provides coordination and engagement with relevant Education stakeholders including; SUBEB, Local education Authorities (LEAs), and ministry of education.
- The job holder will also be working closely with community leaders, religious leaders as well as community member.
Scope of Role:
- Reports to: Education in Emergency Coordinator (NMFA)
- Staff directly reporting to this post: None
Key Areas of Accountability
- Implement delegated portfolio of Education projects in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements, and ensure high technical quality
- Ensure that procurement and distribution of materials and equipment is timely and in line with NRC policies and procedures; ensure accuracy of portfolio inventory (assets, supplies, materials)
- Contribute to assessments (baseline, needs, market)
- Ensure accurate project documentation, including collection of monitoring data and tracking of progress on output indicators; utilize data to contribute to reports as requested by management
- Facilitate relationships with communities and community leaders to ensure buy-in and Do No Harm
- Supervise and manage the teachers, including facilitation of teacher training
- Provide support on youth/adolescent programming, including, life skills, basic literacy/numeracy, and alternative/accelerated education
- Support identification of needs, and development and facilitation of training programmes for teachers, PTAs, SBMCs
- Contribute to proposal and strategy development through input on needs/gaps
- Any other task relevant to the position as requested by the line manager.
Operational Planning and implementation:
- Work closely with Education Coordinator, to ensure planning of day to day implementation, update on spending, implementation, monitoring, documentation and reporting for EDUCATION projects is done.
- Ensure timely implementation and budget performance in line with the projects plans and budgets.
- Effectively support the teachers and partners in proper service delivery are in line with EDUCATION Projects design and Save the Children International planning guidelines and ensure compliance with the agreed work plans and that programme objectives and targets are being realised in line with the funding proposals.
- Ensure that EDUCATION Projects implementation are to the desired standards and on time.
- Maintain high standard of transparency and accountability in the course of programme implementation while ensuring integrity and timeliness of activities implementation in meeting programme objectives, compliance with donors & Save the Children policies.
- Provision of regular operations and implementation updates on project progress and challenges to allow for timely interventions and corrective actions by management.
Program and Financial Reporting:
- Contribute in the preparation of timely and high quality progress and end of projects narrative and financial reports which are in accordance to the donor reporting schedule and formats.
- Participate quarterly follow ups and progress review meetings to address key performance issues from the reports.
Internal and External Engagements:
- Ensuring that the program experience is represented and given recognition at stakeholder meetings, workshops, donor, networks and any other engagements.
- Develop and maintain regular channels of communication with partners and key stakeholders at all levels (Community, LGEA and State).
- Effectively manage projects design and study processes which include assessments, baseline and evaluation studies, putting in place a functional Activity Tracking Table.
- Ensure that the projects quality bench marks are followed.
- Collecting and managing complaints and feedback in close coordination with MEAL team and Projects Officers.
- Ensure regular monitoring of projects results, documentation of projects case studies, lessons learnt, significant changes and best practices and coordinating learning and reflection meetings/sessions
- Ensure an effective programs/ projects monitoring and evaluation systems is in place.
- Monitor programs/ projects activities to ensure quality, timeliness and adherence to both Country Office and international Save the Children policies and procedures.
Human Resources Management and Development:
- Working together with the Education Program Manager and Project Team to identify learning and development needs of the project teams and develop specific plans to address the learning needs.
- Support implementation of the Save the Children performance management system, by supporting, supervising and reviewing performance of the EiE Officers.
- Coaching and mentoring the EiE Officers on the provision of technical support and implementation of quality programmes.
- Capacity building of EiE officer through trainings, coaching, performance management, implementation as well as in learning and reflection events
- Setting and managing staffing targets, performance and priorities for EiE Officers
- Participate in monthly/weekly project management meetings to enable adequate staff support.
- In liaison with Programme Manager, Education Advisor and Humanitarian leadership team provide guidance and support to projects team, partners and stakeholders.
Additional Job Responsibilities:
- The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
Competences and Behaviours (Our Values in Practice)
- Leading and inspiring others – Delivering results – Developing self and others – Problem solving and decision making – Innovating and adapting – Applying technical and professional expertise – Working effectively with others – Communicating with impact – Networking
- Adhere to SCI Values: Accountability; Ambition; Collaboration; Creativity; Integrity
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Education.
- Experience in implementation of integrated programmes across different thematic areas such as education, child protection, child rights governance or disaster risk reduction is a must.
Experience and Skills:
- At least 3 years of accrued working experience in program implementation with a minimum of 3 years in a management level position in an international NGO and those applying partnership approaches is desirable.
- Experience of working with local partners and Local Government and State Authorities in Education, Child Rights Governance, Health, Nutrition, Education, or Child Protection is an added advantage.
- Ability to establish and maintain conducive collegial relations and perform effectively as a member of a team.
- Willingness to travel and work in hard-to-reach areas, occasionally under strenuous conditions.
- Computer literacy and excellent documentation skills are a must.
- Availability and willingness to work extra hours during times of humanitarian responses.
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Ability to intervene with crisis management or troubleshooting as necessary.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Excellent time management and planning capacity.
- Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Application Closing Date
29th March, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!