Job Title: Education Assistant
Ref Id: 210001U1
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Team / Programme: Humanitarian
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Contract Length: Fixed Term
Child Safeguarding: (select only one)
- Level 3: The post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking / vetting process staff.
- The person is responsible for the day to day implementation of education projects in Yobe state northeast Nigeria.
- The Education assistants provide both operations and field monitoring relating to Education in Emergencies projects.
- The job holder engagement with relevant Education stakeholders including; SUBEB, Local education Authorities (LEAs), and ministry of education, School head teachers and teachers within the targeted schools.
- The job holder will also be working closely with community leaders, religious leaders as well as community member.
Scope of Role:
- Reports to: Education officer
- Staff reporting to this post: None.
Key Areas of Accountability
- Monitor and review the overall commodity movements such as project deliveries, storage, transport and distribution at the site and verify if the amounts received, distributed and losses have been properly recorded.
- Supervise the distribution of project supplies at the project sites and ensure proper distribution of entitlements and verify appropriate entitlements are distributed to beneficiaries
- Reviews document and processes which authorize distribution. Ensure that an approved procedure is followed in the registration and selection of beneficiaries and ensures that distribution list is accurately consolidated
- Fills Warehouse Management and distribution inspection checklist for the school stores visited and distributions attended.
- Liaises with concerned government education offices for smooth and efficient programming.
- Ensure timely supply of teaching learning and recreational materials in the schools
- Support teachers and children to initiate activities in in schools that meet the psycho-social needs of the displaced children and teachers.
Operational Planning and implementation:
- Work closely with Education officer, to ensure planning of day to day project implementation implementation, monitoring, documentation and reporting for EDUCATION projects is activities.
- Ensure timely implementation and budget performance in line with the projects plans and budgets.
- Effectively support the teachers a in proper service delivery are in line with EDUCATION Projects design and Save the Children International planning guidelines
- Ensure compliance with the agreed work plans and that programme objectives and targets are being realized in line with the funding proposals.
- Ensure that EDUCATION Projects implementation are to the desired standards and on time.
- Maintain high standard of transparency and accountability in the course of project implementation while ensuring integrity and timeliness of activities implementation in meeting programme objectives, compliance with donors & Save the Children policies.
- Provision of regular project implementation updates on progress and challenges to allow for timely interventions and corrective actions by management.
Internal and external engagements:
- Ensuring that the program experience is represented and given recognition at stakeholder meetings, workshops, networks and any other engagements.
- Develop and maintain regular channels of communication with key stakeholders at all levels (Community, LGEA and State).
- Effectively manage projects design and study processes which include assessments, baseline and evaluation studies, putting in place a functional Activity Tracking Table.
- Ensure that the projects quality bench marks are followed.
- Collecting and managing complaints and feedback in close coordination with MEAL team and Projects Officers.
- Ensure regular monitoring of projects results, documentation of projects case studies, lessons learnt, significant changes and best practices and coordinating learning and reflection meetings/sessions
- Ensure an effective programs/ projects monitoring and evaluation systems is in place.
- Monitor programs/ projects activities to ensure quality, timeliness and adherence to both Country Office and international Save the Children policies and procedures.
Human Resources Management and Development:
- Working together with the Education Program Manager and Project Team to identify learning and development needs of the project teams and develop specific plans to address the learning needs.
- Support implementation of the Save the Children performance management system, by supporting, supervising and reviewing performance of the EiE Assistant.
- Coaching and mentoring the EiE assistant on the provision of technical support and implementation of quality programmes.
- Capacity building of EiE asisitant through trainings, coaching, performance management, implementation as well as in learning and reflection events
- Setting and managing staffing targets, performance and priorities for EiE assistant
- Participate in monthly / weekly project management meetings to enable adequate staff support
- In liaison with Programme Manager, Education Advisor and Humanitarian leadership team provide guidance and support to projects team, partners and stakeholders.
Additional Job Responsibilities:
- The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Education or equivalent Experience in implementation of education project across different thematic areas such as education, child protection, child rights governance or disaster risk reduction is a must.
Experience and Skills:
- At least 1 years of accrued working experience in project implementation
- Experience of working with local partners and Local Government and State Authorities in Education, Child Rights Governance, Health, Nutrition, Education, or Child Protection is an added advantage.
- Ability to establish and maintain conducive collegial relations and perform effectively as a member of a team.
- Willingness to travel and work in hard-to-reach areas, occasionally under strenuous conditions.
- Computer literacy and excellent documentation skills are a must.
- Availability and willingness to work extra hours during times of humanitarian responses.
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Ability to intervene with crisis management or troubleshooting as necessary.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Excellent time management and planning capacity.
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Behaviours (Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Health and Safety:
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Application Closing Date
29th March, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!
- Minimum Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Location Damaturu, Yobe