Job Title: Director of Finance & Operations
Requisition ID: req17391
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full-Time
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Open to Expatriates: Yes
- The IRC began working in Nigeria in 2012, providing assistance to communities displaced by large-scale floods. In response to escalating armed conflict in 2014, the IRC launched an emergency response in Yola and has since scaled health and nutrition, education, protection, and WASH programming across Borno, Adamawa, and Yobe (BAY) states. As one of the largest multi-sector actors in the northeast, the IRC has strong linkages with civil society organizations (CSOs), state line ministries, and local stakeholders to ensure lasting gains for communities in need.
Scope of Work:
- The IRC seeks a Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) for an upcoming five-year, multi-million dollar USAID education activity in Nigeria. The project will equip out-of-school children and youth in northeast Nigeria with the foundational skills needed to progress to higher levels of education, training and/or engagement in the workforce.
- The DCOP will be responsible for supporting the Chief of Party (COP) in management of operational staff, capacity building, and overseeing the project’s operations. S/he will coordinate the development, implementation, and reporting of operational management activities (e.g. procurement, grants management, and finance). The position is based in Maiduguri, Nigeria, with responsibilities to travel throughout North Eastern Nigeria and to the capital, Abuja.
- Recruitment is contingent upon successful award of the project, and selection of final applicant is subject to USAID approval.
- Provide oversight of operations teams, including procurement, finance, grants, logistics, HR, security, and administrative support staff.
- Ensure project delivery meets best practice standard operational policies and procedures for impact and compliance, with specific focus on AIDAR conformity.
- Provide financial and operational management that optimizes resources through sound budgets, consistent financial tracking, and timely submission of reports to the donor.
- Oversee development, delivery, capacity building, and monitoring of subgrantees.
- Oversee management of all procurement activities to ensure smooth and efficient implementation of project activities.
- Manage consortium partnerships from an operational context and maintain collaborative partner relations to ensure effective delivery of project support needs.
- Support operational reporting to USAID through formal and informal debriefings, annual and semi-annual reports, etc.
- Assist the COP in maintaining active and cooperative relationships with all key stakeholders, including government officials, project partners, other implementing agencies, and related institutions.
- Represent the project and the organization in the public and ensuring the distribution of information about project achievements and lesson learned.
- Support project staff by creating and maintaining a work environment that promotes teamwork, trust, mutual respect, and empowers staff to take responsibility.
- Minimum eight years of relevant experience with five in a managerial role on similar programs in developing countries, including substantial supervisory experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, education, international development, accounting, or related field required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Significant previous experience managing operations for similar programming in conflict or crisis-affected situations; experience in remote operations; experience in North East Nigeria preferred.
- Substantial experience with USAID compliance related to procurement, grants, and audit requirements.
- Experience with projects designed to increase equitable access, build Ministry of Education capacity, and recovery of education systems preferred.
- Ability to develop relations with local counterparts, donors, and other stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience scaling up activities of similar scope and in similar contexts.
- Demonstrated success incorporating innovation and participatory, flexible, and gender-sensitive operations into implementation.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- The candidate must be proficient in English; additional Nigerian language abilities preferred.
- Nigerian nationals strongly preferred
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!
- Address Maiduguri, Borno