Job Title: Deputy Safety Advisor
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
The International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is an international charity that supports the safety of aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training.
INSO services help NGOs with their day-to-day risk management responsibilities and improve their overall situational awareness to support evidence-based humanitarian access decisions. Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organisation has grown from innovative start-up to become a globally recognised charity and a highly valued component in the humanitarian safety coordination system. With operations in 14 countries, INSO has revolutionized the humanitarian safety coordination sector by introducing a robust and high-quality field safety platform model that has been deployed in some of the world’s most high-risk settings.
The strong focus on humanitarian principles and exclusive NGO-only membership criteria have meant that INSO is now accepted as a standard component of modern humanitarian response offering independent frontline reporting and coordination services that save lives, strengthen operational practice and enable humanitarian access.
Today the organisation provides daily support to more than 1000 NGOs in 14 of the world’s most insecure countries and has earned a strong reputation for performance, principles & professionalism.
INSO Nigeria Country Office
- Since becoming registered in Nigeria, INSO has developed a strong country wide approach, supporting NGOs working on Lake Chad Basin Crisis from all neighbouring countries. The coordination office operates from Abuja overseeing two operational offices in Maiduguri, Nigeria and in Maroua, Cameroon.
- We are seeking a qualified and experienced individual to join our team as (Deputy Safety Advisor) to be based (Maiduguri).
- The Deputy Safety Advisor will work with the Safety Advisor (SA) in their responsibility of gathering local security information and briefing NGOs working in the field.
- They will be involved in analysis and reporting, interacting and networking with different stakeholders, and supporting the delivery of NGO security services. They will also support the SA in the management of a local information network.
- The successful candidate will be outgoing and resilient, with the ability to analyse complex security issues and contexts, give sound practical safety and security advice, communicate with an excellent standard of English both verbally and in writing, and above all else share INSO’s commitment to humanitarian principles.
- Provide NGOs with credible information and contextual analysis of Borno, Yobe, Adamawa and Gombe states.
- Provide support in establishing and maintaining an active information network, which includes NGOs and other actors, to obtain credible and relevant safety information.
- Assist in humanitarian coordination meetings and provide access and security enabling information.
- Assist in providing NGOs with timely and credible security information and contextual analysis of the local security situation through: daily incident alerts, reports, weekly incident lists and bi-weekly analytical reports.
- Provide support in facilitating and leading NGO community security roundtables in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states, during which security incidents are discussed and analysed.
- Effectively represent, promote and protect INSO’s mandate of independence, impartiality and neutrality.
- Support the SA in the management of field monitors
- Adhere to INSO safety policies and procedures.
- Good and relevant network in the North East (Borno, Yobe, Gombe and Adamawa states)
- Deep understanding of North East Nigeria (Borno, Yobe, Gombe and Adamawa states) safety environment and its historical context
- Excellent presentation and public speaking skills
- Excellent English writing skills with ability to research and present complex issues in a clear and concise manner as well as a fluent conversational level of at least one of the following languages: Hausa, Kanuri or other local languages relevant to North Eastern Nigeria.
- At least 3 years of experience in a relevant field, to include but not limited to – military, police, or other security services (particularly those involved in investigation), NGO safety and security work experience, journalism. Management experience is usually expected
- Good understanding of NGO approaches to safety is essential (knowledge of humanitarian principles is essential)
- Proven ability to develop and maintain human networks
- Knowledge of Windows and Office programs
- Nigerian nationality
- University-level education or equivalent experience.
- 6 months work experience with NGOs
- Experience in high-quality report production
- Demonstrated capacity to work with minimal supervision and maintain a high level of engagement
- Staff management experience
- Degree in Journalism, Mass Communication, Political Sciences, History, or any other equivalent diploma preferred.
Key Personal Competencies:
- Outgoing personality
- An effective communicator
- Willingness to stay alert outside working hours
- Meticulous and persistent when verifying information received
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
Application Closing Date
22nd February, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Application Documents to: [email protected] using “INSO – Deputy Safety Advisor – Maiduguri” as the subject of the email.
- Cover Letter specifying how you meet the mandatory requirements, your motivation in applying and what you hope to bring to INSO (2-page maximum).
- Up to date CV (3-page maximum).
- One writing sample of analytical previously undertaken.
- Please do not send any additional information (certificates, other writing samples, etc.) and keep the total size of your application under 2MB if possible.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted after the above closing date.
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!
- Minimum Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Location Maiduguri, Borno