Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
The PUI Nigerian Mission has been officially opened in April 2016, with a focus on meeting urgent needs, including improving access to food commodities, primary health care and nutrition for Internally Displaced People (IDP) and host communities (HC) living in Maiduguri Metropolitan Council (MMC).
The progressive sectorial widening allowed PUI to start implementing an integrated approach from 2017 in food security, livelihoods, nutrition and health sectors, with the support of ECHO, FFP, OFDA and CIAA/CDC, in line with PUI’s global strategy. From the launch of the health care services in February 2017 to the end of April 2018, a total of 119,913 OPD consultations were reached in Bolori II, while more than 60.000 beneficiaries have been reached by our cash project.
In mid-2018, PUI has developed its comprehensive response by adding Protection and Community Outreach (PCO) activities to the existing programs in Bolori II. In the month of October 2018 only, more than 3.500 households have received door to door visit from the PCO team. In 2018, PUI has also scaled up its intervention with the opening of Monguno LGA base, with the main objectives of reducing morbidity and mortality of the most vulnerable population and promoting protection amongst the whole affected community. This opening in Monguno allowed PUI to reach the vulnerable population in Kukawa and Cross Kauwa LGA.
In 2019, PUI will further develop its integrated approach by adding a WASH component to its comprehensive response. In parallel, PUI is continuously supporting the coordination mechanisms in North East Nigeria humanitarian crisis.
PUI is now looking for its LOGISTICS team in Coordination, and we are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Deputy Logistics Coordinator
Location: Coordination Office, Maiduguri, Borno
Contract Start Date: ASAP
- The Deputy Logistics Coordinator assists the Logistics Coordinator (Log Co) in ensuring the smooth functioning of logistics at mission level
- He/She contributes in making the resources which are necessary for carrying out the programs are available and actively participates in the mission’s safety & security management.
Responsibilities and Tasks
Assist in Ensuring the Security of Goods and People:
- Support the Logistics Coordinator to define the mission’s safety management tools, in collaboration with the Field Coordinators concerned
- Assist in ensuring that general rules and safety plans for the mission and for the bases are put in place and respected and make sure everyone (expatriate and local) is familiar with and understands the general rules and safety plans
- Under direct supervision of Log Co, Ensure that the material and personnel resources on-site are sufficiently adapted to the level of safety which is judged to be optimal in the bases and among the teams in the field
- Participate in collecting safety information in the PUI’s operation areas and communicates these in accordance with the channels defined (Log Co, Security Advisor, HoM, +/-others)
- Participate in analyzing the mission’s safety circumstances and conditions, alert and may propose mitigating solutions to the Logistics Coordinator concerning potential changes relating to risks as well as measures to be put in place
- Communicate, on a regular basis, with the guards and the drivers concerning accidents, risks and behavior to be embraced (regular meetings and training if necessary).
- Support in Managing the Supply Activities
- Assist the Supply Chain Manager in guaranteeing that purchase procedures are respected in the field and the capital, from the direct purchase to the national call for offers and helps in supervising the purchasing process for the whole of the mission
- Work in close collaboration with the person requesting the purchase, with strong technical specificity, and carry out the appropriate conformity tests
- Help the Supply Chain Manager in ensuring that contracts signed are adequate in terms of effectiveness and protection of the PUI procedures
- Help the Supply Chain Manager in consolidating/updating the mission’s price catalogue for the mission’s operation areas
- Assist the Supply chain Manager in ensuring that purchase files are correctly archived.
- Assist the Supply chain Manager in choosing the mode of transport and the packaging of the merchandise
- Liaise with the Supply Chain Manager to plan and supervise the shipment and delivery of materials up to their final destination
- Liaise with the Logistics Officer for the shipment of merchandise coming from Abuja and help in supervising the potential process involved with clearing customs.
- Assist in guaranteeing the management and monitoring of the mission’s stocks, according to PUI’s procedures and tools
- Assist in ensuring that the PUI procedures and tools are known to and understood by everyone and are applied on all the mission’s bases
- Ensure that stock cards, stock register and waybill tools are in place and well up to date
- Ensure that stocks are carried out timely and according to the PUI’s procedures (location, layout and salubriousness)
- Assist in organizing fluxes in merchandise, making sure that the goods received are of a certain quality and carry out physical checks of stocked merchandise
- Assist in ensuring the movement / transfer of documents is properly referenced.
Record / Filling:
- Assist in ensuring the procurement/supply chain files are kept well in a chronological order and are available all the time for audit trials.
ICT Equipment and Energy Management:
- Support the Log Co in defining the mission’s technical needs on each base and make sure that their funding is possible, especially when new projects are being planned
- Provide technical recommendations on the choice of computer equipment, tele/radio communication equipment and energy supply when needed
- Support in creating utilization procedures and training personnel on how to use them
- Ensure the monitoring of equipment (state, location, proprietor/backer etc) through regular updates of monitoring tools (property list) and the keeping of physical inventories
- Assist in the installation of equipment and ensure they run smoothly and are maintained
- Ensure any necessary repairs are duly carried out.
Supporting the Bases (Installation/Redeployment/Normal functioning/Closing):
- Actively contribute to the opening and the closing of base(s) and potential redeployment.
- Support the LogCo in the organization of logistics factors (installing equipment, building research etc)
- Support the Log Co in defining and carrying out the necessary rehabilitation and installation on different bases.
Ensuring the Circulation of Information, Co-ordination and Representation on Logistics Issues:
- Support the Log Co in ensuring that logistics information is effectively circulated between teams on the field, the capital and headquarters
- Participate in writing internal reports for everything concerning the logistics of the mission
- Support logistics coordination at mission level by regularly visiting bases, checks, monitoring, training etc.
- Participate to the financial and administrative management of the Logistics Department
- Participate in the writing of reports for the donors (lists of equipment, checking functioning costs etc)
- Ensure the keeping of and the archiving of purchase files (help, equipment, location, omissions etc)
- Participate in the preparation of an audit which is either forthcoming or already underway
- Externally, Represent PUI among authorities for any questions concerning logistics order (registering equipment, customs etc)
Supervising and Managing Logistics Teams:
- Contribute to the supervision of the whole Coordination Base logistics team, directly or otherwise Contribute to work meetings, mediates potential conflicts, defines priorities and plans activities
- Participate in the recruitment of the logistics team
- Contribute in the training of local and international members of the logistics team who are in the Coordination or on the bases on the procedures and tools of PUI
- Build capacity of the local staff over best procurement, best warehousing and distribution practices
- Conduct performance reviews regularly and provide feedback to the LogCo
The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
Priorities of the Department:
- Contribute in the finalization of the setting up of all logistics procedures and systems at Coordination level with the support of the logistics coordinator
- Train local members of the Coordination Base logistics team on PUI procedures and tools.
- Education Degree: Minimum of Bachelor of Arts, Higher National Diploma in Engineering or any relevant field
- Language skills: Fluent in English and Hausa, Kanuri is a plus
- Work experience: Minimum 2 years in a relevant field with an INGO
Knowledge and Skills:
- Logistical skills
- Knowledge of institutional donors procedures (UE, OFDA, ECHO, AAP, UN agencies …)
- Computer skills: Microsoft Pack Office and any other software.
- Ability to work independently while taking initiatives and showing a sense of responsibility
- Ability to withstand pressure and volatile environment
- Sense of diplomacy
- Analytical skills
- Good communication skills
- Team management
- Capacity to adapt and organizational flexibility
- Organization, rigor and ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to represent the activities and mandate of PUI before local authorities and suppliers.
Application Closing Date
2.00pm, 16th October, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!