Job Title: Consultant – Radio Drama Producer
- Consultancy – Radio Drama Producer for “Consortium for Election and Political Process Strengthening (CEPPS) – Sustaining Electoral Engagement for Democracy in Nigeria (SEED) Project”. (Ekiti and Osun States, Nigeria).
- Search for Common Ground (Search) is seeking the services of a Consultant Radio Drama Producer in Ekiti and Osun States, Nigeria.
- The Consultant Producer is expected to have proven radio drama production experience as the episodes are expected to air on radio stations in the two target states. The Candidate’s resume should include cognate radio drama production experience as well knowledge of Ekiti and Osun States.
Purpose of the Consultancy
- The Radio Drama Producer is expected to produce twenty six episodes (13 episodes per state) of a radio drama on key election-related topics, including the dangers of hate speech, rumors, misinformation, and disinformation; the importance of inclusive elections, featuring the voices of women, people with disabilities (PWDs), youth, etc.; and how citizens can get involved in elections and democratic processes which support peaceful elections and mitigate hate speech as well as spot jingles (one minute each) in English, Pidgin and Yoruba on radio stations in Ekiti and Osun States in the South Western part of Nigeria.
- There will be 5 versions each of the radio spots in the languages mentioned which will be centered on advocacy on peaceful elections. The radio drama must be conflict sensitive and consider environmental and social context. The jingle will promote/publicize (program promo) the radio drama in Pidgin English and Yoruba Languages to be aired ahead of broadcasts on radio stations in off-cycle election Ekiti and Osun States, Nigeria by June and July 2022.
- The expected duration of each episode of the radio drama is expected to be 20- 25 minutes, leaving room for an interactive session which will include live guests appearances with phone-ins, use of social media platforms and text messages. Each episode should center on an issue which will provide for talking points during the interactive session.
- The outcome of the radio drama episodes is to mitigate these hate speech trends by dispelling rumors, promoting peace, encouraging civic education, and elevating marginalized voices such as women, youth and people with disabilities (PWD) in elections and democratic processes.
- The produced radio drama episodes as well as spots jingles are expected to air on radio stations in Ekiti and Osun States, Nigeria.
Search expects the following deliverables from the Consultant Producer as they correspond to the timeline and budget:
- The Producer will facilitate the scriptwriter’s workshop in Osun and Ekiti States respectively. The thematic areas and project objectives will be provided by Search’s Project Team who will serve as the organizer
- Search will share findings and recommendations from the monthly Hate Speech reports, contributions from partners (NDI, IFES), members of Common Ground Journalism Forum as well as inputs from the Radio Drama Producer which will form the bulk of curriculum for the topics for the radio drama episodes
- The Producer is expected to show evidence of their knowledge of Ekiti and Osun States in their submission
- The Producer alongside script writers will develop the content of the Radio Drama, which should culminate in an agreeable and practicable script, creative laced with humor, satire and thought provoking drama series. Modules to be covered includes (but is not limited to) Plot Development, Character Development, Conflict Sensitive Scripting, Setting, Developing major themes, developing minor themes, Concept of Series, Concept of serials, Writing sequels, Understanding genres, Types of scripts
- Create every aspect of a unique script, including the dialogue, characters, and plot that bring stories to life
- Create a brief narrative intro and outro for every episode and an intro that will launch the interactive segment/Talk Show
- Develop scripts based on the stories/content and submit to Search’s media coordinator prior to the production of the drama
- Attend meetings/workshops organized by Search for Common Ground, which have direct bearing to the radio program and production of it during the course of the consultancy
- Submit production update reports and final report of the consultancy with recommendations and lessons learned
- Place the program promotion jingle at the beginning, middle and end of the radio drama
- Place the radio spot strategically in between the radio drama
- The radio drama script should be specific to the South West states of Ekiti and Osun States, putting in mind culture and values, religion and real life situations
- The consultant will provide the professional lens needed to produce a high-quality Radio Drama that is conflict-sensitive, balanced and accurately reflects on the realities of the citizens of Ekiti and Osun States
- The Producer will need to exhibit the professional know-how, to transform the script and present it in a format that is production worthy. Note: The final version of the script(s) will be shared with the Search Media team for review and onward approval before production commences
- All cast-including actors and the production crew will be provided for by the consultant and must reflect the identity of the citizens of Ekiti and Osun States, as well as the target audience of the CEPPS project
- The Producer will be responsible for providing ALL high-quality equipment to carry out the production of the Radio Drama. Search will not be responsible for any procurement, hiring or leasing of any equipment for the production of this Radio Drama
- At the end of the production, the Producer will provide Search with ‘Behind the Scenes (BTS)’ footage, as well as all recordings carried out during production and post-production, in a Hard Drive
- Search will determine how the final version of the radio drama will be distributed and broadcast.
- SFCG will provide the following logistical support to the Consultant Producer;
- Hall, Feeding (Tea Break and Lunch), transportation reimbursements during the script writers workshop
- Writing materials for participants during the script writers workshop will also be covered by Search.
- The consultancy will take place from November 2021 to August 2022
Requirements for Consultant Producer
- University Degree or equivalent in Radio Production, Communications, Journalism, Media Studies or related fields.
- Master’s Degree is an added advantage.
- At least 5 years’ experience developing and implementing Radio Production/Drama as well as expertise in scriptwriting and facilitation
- Multi Media production for different platforms such as Radio, Television and Social Media.
- Experience engaging and working with audiences from diverse ethnic and religious backgrounds;
- Excellent knowledge of the socio cultural context dynamics in the South Western part of the country
- Relevant experience supporting and engaging the media, NGO or INGO
- Familiarity with location (i.e. Ekiti and Osun States) and knowledge of the Yoruba language in the target states will be an added advantage
- Strong command of English language and the Yoruba Language, with excellent written, oral communication and interpersonal communication skills;
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards;
- Ability to prioritize, plan and organize workflow to tight timeframes, multi-tasking, and flexibility.
- Strong leadership skills
- Attention to detail: The ability to process detailed information effectively and consistently
- Collaboration: The ability to work effectively with others in order to achieve a shared goal
- New-Learning: The ability to absorb new information readily and to put it into practice effectively
- Adaptability: The ability to remain fully functional by adapting to changing circumstances (environment, procedures and people).
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Each applicant must submit the following:
- A technical proposal, not more than four pages, describing how the drama production objectives (looking at the project background) will be met within the stated timetable. Also a narrative “pitch” describing the basic drama concepts and illustrative examples of how it would be structured based on the producer’s area of expertise.
- Technical qualifications of the Producer (including team members if they will be applying as such) including CV(s), for all proposed personnel along with select internet links or digital copies of relevant short productions developed by team members.
- Budget/financial proposal for the script writers’ workshop and radio drama production including a description of costs for personnel, per diems, travel, logistics, and all production costs (development, pre-production, production, and post-production). Include an overall cost for the contract. Final content decisions will be discussed between the Producer and Search before production begins
- Creative portfolios, including internet links or digital copies of relevant radio productions developed by the Producer.
- Please merge all documents as one pdf and upload.
- As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
- Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted.
- No phone calls please. Please see our website www.sfcg.org for full details of our work.
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!