Job Title: Consultant On Course Facilitator(s) – Gender In Peace Support Operation Course Centre for Strategic Research and Studies National Defence College Nigeria
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Additional Category: Democratic Governance and Peacebuilding
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: National Consultant
Languages Required: English
Duration of Initial Contract: Two Weeks
Expected Duration of Assignment: Two Weeks
- Violent conflicts in many countries of the world and particularly in Africa have continued to increase both in complexities and numbers. This violence which are mostly due to lack of good governance and citizens inability to access essential services of life have resulted in political instability, wanton destruction of lives and property, mass displacement of the civil population and destruction of key development infrastructure. Citizens displeasure is often ventilated through violent extremism, radicalization, and violent mass protests. The upsurge in the level of criminalities and violence around world has engaged the attention of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) and necessitated the engagement and deployment of UN-mandated peace missions to protect life and property, ensure peace and stability, and guarantee internal security with the attendant needs for effective national capacities in protection of civilians, promote civil-military relations, prevention of violent extremism and deradicalization, camp management, gender mainstreaming, amongst others. The reality to build and strengthen mass capacities of military and para-military forces, civil security agencies, non-governmental organizations (NGOs) to respond to the global and domestic needs of peace making.
- The project aims to enhance the capacities for Peace Support Operations (PSOs) in West Africa through training conducted by the Centre for Strategic Research and Studies, National Defence College (CSRS/NDC). The project output is “Regional capabilities for multi-dimensional PSOs for military, police and civilian personnel improved.
Duties and Responsibilities
Objective Of Consultancy:
- The Course aims to enhance participant’s knowledge and skills on gender dimension of contemporary Peace Support Operations (PSO). In addition, the course is designed to enable participants play their respective roles successfully in managing peace, security, sexual and gender-based violence in conflict environments and PSO.
- Specifically, the objective of the Gender Course is to improve the participants understanding of gender mainstreaming and dimensions in contemporary PSO environment through capacity enhancement.
- The seven (7) facilitators having mission experience of the various mechanisms for the implementation of command structure and leadership responsibilities in PSO, mission strategy, and civil-military cooperation, gender mainstreaming, among others, his / her role is therefore to assist participants assimilate the course learning outcomes in preparation for deployment into multidimensional PSOs under United Nations (UN), African Union (AU) or ECOWAS mandate. He /She is expected to achieve these through lectures, personal examples, advice, guidance and tutoring.
- Ensure all participants remain focused on the tenets that all components in a multidimensional mission must strive to achieve. These include communication, coordination, cooperation and consensus among all personnel.
- Facilitate lecture activities and syndicate discussions and where appropriate, provide additional guidance and examples on gender mainstreaming and dimensions.
- Where requested, to present central module(s) and participate in central panel discussions as a subject matter expert.
- Engage course participants in conversation during course breaks and social activities about various experiences in gender dimensions in PSO.
- Attend Course Directing Staff review sessions to analyze course progress and offer suggestions to improve the Course content and conduct for current and future Gender Courses.
- Provide a written critique of the Gender course and submit it within 14 days of the completion of the course.
- Assessment of Participants’ performance during the course.
- Plenary and break out syndicate training of all participants for deployment in an integrated and multidimensional PSO.
- Building networks among different components for smooth PSO.
- Pre course evaluation.
- Post course evaluation.
- Detailed course narrative.
Contract Conditions and Payment
- The consultancy is deliverable-based, and the fees shall be paid by the UNDP upon successful completion of the assigned Module and submission of reports.
Management & Reporting:
- The Facilitator shall work under the direct supervision of the Course Director and the Course Sponsor who is the Provost, Centre for Strategic Research and Studies (CSRS), National Defence College (NDC). The Course timetable shall be prepared by the Course Director for joint review and approval by CSRS, NDC.
Duration and Venue:
- The conduct of the course shall be for 2 weeks, from 25th January-05 February 2021. The Facilitators will stay for the number of days assigned to the module in the Course timetable and shall be involved in the discussion panels. The venue is the CSRS, NDC.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
Excellent interpersonal skills:
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrates capacity to communicate effectively; capacity to plan and organize programmes effectively
- Demonstrates resourcefulness, initiative and mature judgment
- Excellent facilitation and modelling skills
Qualification and Experience
The preferred candidates for the various modules in this consultancy must possess at least:
- A first degree in Social Sciences or Humanities preferably Peace and Conflict, Political Science, Psychology, Law or International Relations.
- Candidates must also possess at least 10 years cognate experience in training and facilitation of PSO related courses in general with bias for gender dimensions.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in the workings of UN/AU/ECOWAS and mission experience is required.
- A mixture of practical and theoretical experience working under UN, AU or regional missions will be an added advantage.
- Other experiences include excellent knowledge of gender mainstreaming in PSO at the regional level.
Evaluation Criteria, Language Requirements and Payment Terms:
- Minimum of a first degree in Social Sciences or Humanities preferably Peace and Conflict, Political Science, Law or International Relations – 25 points
- At least 10 years’ cognate experience in training and facilitation on PSO related courses with bias on gender mainstreaming) – 30 points
- Knowledge and understanding of post conflict reconstruction and peacebuilding activities and how to implement them using case studies-10 points
- 7 years’ experience in the workings of AU/ECOWAS and mission experience working under UN, AU or regional missions – 25 points
- UN or international organization experience – 10 points
Application Closing Date
19th January, 2021. (Midnight New York, USA)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Only candidates scoring 70% and above will be considered further for this assignment.
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!
- Years Of Experience 5-10
- Minimum Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Location abuja