Consultant to Support the Development of the Borno State Guidelines and Framework for Health workers Incentives in the Context of Protracted Conflicts
Job ID: 2101354
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Grade: No grade
Contractual Arrangement: Individual service contractor
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days): 30 days
Organization: AF_NGA Nigeria
Objectives of the Program
- The Protracted conflict in the North Eastern part of Nigeria has left nearly 4 million people in need of health services. This situation has further exacerbated the gaps in the health systems which include grossly inadequate skilled, needs-based health workforce. The shortages of skilled human resource for health has also disproportionately affected more of the rural areas leading to further deprivation of these vulnerable communities of access to health care services. Despite their critical role in providing services to parties in conflict, the Health care workers in conflict areas are also often targeted, threatened, abducted, detained, and killed in some instances.
- In the Northeast Nigeria, the unrelenting attacks by the parties in the conflict has been documented through the WHO Surveillance Systems on Attacks on health infrastructure and estimates 59 attacks on health infrastructure with 31 deaths among healthcare workers and 19 injuries. Consequently, many health workers in these conflict areas have been forced to abandon their duty stations as they flee to safer communities leading to a recorded closure of more than 450 Health facilities in Borno State alone. The resulting shortages of HCWs has had a devastating effect on the delivery of, and access to health care services in the region.
- The overall objective of this assignment is to support the Borno State Ministry of Health to develop an incentive guidelines and framework for the State health workforce that would guide the incentivization of Health workers based on context and location of service delivery.
Description of Duties
- Develop a proposal for the consultancy with clear methodology and implementation plan with timelines
- Conduct comprehensive assessment and desktop review on incentive mechanisms currently being implemented in the state across partners, and State MDAs
- Engage with the relevant stakeholders, Ministries and Department to understand the government plan for incentivization of Healthcare workers
- Facilitate workshop for the development of state-led healthcare workers incentive guidelines and framework in the context of humanitarian shocks including conflict, locations, security access in line with the Minimum service package for Health services in the State
- Design the framework for healthcare workers incentives in the state based on standard global best practices while considering the local context
- Conduct validation workshops to review the framework for healthcare workers incentives
- Facilitate dissemination of validated framework for healthcare workers incentives
- Advanced university degree in Public Health, Healthcare Management, Health Economics, Health Policy or other related degrees.
- Certication/formal training in Human Resources for Health.
- At least 10 years’ demonstrable experience in health systems strengthening program design, implementation and assessment, policy and strategic planning formulation
- Experience in transitioning humanitarian, recovery and development programs
- Previous experience writing such guiding HR documents for healthcare workforce
- Familiarity with current concepts and approaches to health systems strengthening and health governance/ human resources for health work within the local, state, national and international.
- Relevant work experience with WHO and/or UN agencies, international nongovernmental or humanitarian organizations.
- Good interpersonal skills
- Proven conceptual, analytical, research and writing skills
- Sound technical knowlwdge
- Good photography/ photo editing skills
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Producing results.
Use of Language Skills:
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English and Hausa.
28th March, 2021; by 10:59:00 PM.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Notice: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device’s system settings.
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!
- Years Of Experience 5-10
- Minimum Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Location Maiduguri, Borno