Locations: Gombe and Sokoto
Contract: 1 year, renewable
Reports to: State to State Conflict Advisor, with technical dotted line to Alert Senior Conflict Adviser
Salary Grade 4.2
- International Alert is part of a consortium with DAI US for the implementation of a five-year governance and service delivery improvement programme funded by USAID in the five states in Nigeria (Adamawa, Bauchi, Ebonyi, Gombe, and Sokoto) regions in Nigeria.
- The purpose of this job is to provide conflict sensitivity technical assistance to the implementation of the overall governance programme including the mainstreaming of conflict analysis into the programme cycle and the implementation of programme activities.
The post holder will:
- Support the DAI-managed Programme Coordination Unit/Technical
- Delivery unit to ensure that conflict analysis is influencing programme design and implementation
- Provide conflict sensitivity technical assistance to project components within responsible focal state(s)
- Support the integration of conflict analysis into the political economy analysis of the programme
- Act as one of the focal points for technical support and training across the implementation team, among partners and with external stakeholders in conflict sensitivity, conflict analysis, peacebuilding and social cohesion processes;
- Provide communication and coordination with International Alert West Africa programme on context analysis, programme delivery and programme development opportunities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Support the DAI-managed Programme Coordination Unit / Technical Delivery unit to ensure that conflict analysis is influencing programme design and implementation:
- Contribute to the management of the Conflict Assessment Framework (CAF) including collecting data, providing transcription, analysis and report writing.
- Provide alignment between conflict and gender analysis where applicable.
Provide conflict sensitivity technical assistance to project components within responsible focal state(s):
- Provide conflict monitoring of context in focal state(s) on a weekly, monthly and quarterly basis
- Support capacity building of all delivery teams to recognize conflict insensitivities in their work with partners (state government, CSOs, media, etc) and assist their programme adjustments in a conflict sensitive manner.
Support the integration of conflict analysis into the political economy analysis of the programme:
- Collaborate with the S2S PEA Adviser to update PEA every 3 to 6 months in each focal state with conflict-relevant information
Act as one of the focal points for technical support among partners and with external stakeholders in conflict sensitivity, conflict analysis, peacebuilding and social cohesion processes:
- Identify adequate case studies of change and impact influenced by our Alert intervention.
- The location of the position is Gombe / Sokoto; however, travel to the five focal states should account for 30% of the assignment.
- At Alert, we have introduced Talent Management to our business model as we believe talented people are crucial to the success of our work. We believe all individuals are talented and success comes in matching the right talents to the right roles.
For this role, the skills, qualifications and experience listed below are important, but we believe that to be great in this job you are likely, first and foremost, to have a talent for:
- Logical thinking which supports the translation of complex ideas into practical programme proposals.
- Collaboration and team work that builds on colleagues’ knowledge and expertise to maximise learning, strengthen programme teams’ skills and confidence and improve the quality of Alert’s programming
- Pursuing new business opportunities with an entrepreneurial spirit and determination
- Bachelor’s Degree in International Relations, Social Sciences, Social Development or a related field
- Demonstrable understanding of conflict and peacebuilding issues, and their practical application in specific contexts, namely Gombe and Sokoto
- Significant experience of managing field-based peacebuilding projects or programmes (at least 3 years)
- Sound knowledge and experience of applying conflict sensitive approaches to development and / or humanitarian programmes including delivering trainings on these issues
- Considerable experience in working in partnerships with other organisations and / or supporting local offices
- Experience in providing mentoring and support to a range of actors
- Excellent report-writing, research, editing and oral presentation skills
- Excellent communication, networking and inter-personal ability
- Proficiency in English.
- Post-graduate qualification on conflict related studies
- Knowledge of participatory research methods including USAID CAF methodology
3rd January, 2021 (17:00 Nigeria time).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV (3 pages max) and a Cover Letter (1 page max) to the following email address: [email protected] – please include the following in the email subject: “Application to CA S2S Sokoto” depending on the specific state you are applying for
Note: All Applicants must already have the right to work in Nigeria.
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!