Job Title: Cleaner
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full-time, Regular
Reports Directly To: Administrative Assistant
Works Directly With: All staff
Program / Department Summary
- With the insurgency affecting North-East Nigeria and displacing millions of people, Mercy Corps is expanding its humanitarian programming to support the conflict-affected population. As a result of the wide-scale needs, Mercy Corps is scaling up food security, non-food items, nutrition, protection, livelihoods, and water sanitation hygiene (WASH) activities in Dikwa, Ngala, Damboa, Gwoza, Bama and Jere Local Government Areas in Borno State to address emergency needs.
General Position Summary
- The cleaner is responsible for cleaning and tidying the Mercy Corps facilities.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Maintain the cleanliness of the interior areas of the office and guesthouses including rooms and villas, kitchen facilities, common areas and bathrooms; sweeping, dusting, washing, garbage disposal, etc.
- Maintain the cleanliness of the exterior areas of the offices and guesthouses including sweeping, watering of the plants, gardening, garbage disposal, etc.
- Do the laundry of office and guesthouses (clothes, curtains, sheets, towels, etc.).
- Identify needed repairs in the office, guesthouse and premises and alert Operations Assistant (or designee) for action.
- Assist the cook in preparing and serving meals as required.
- Ensure adequate supply of drinking water, cleaning materials are maintained all the time.
- Assist the Operations team in all other office or guesthouse related activities as required.
- Be available to help the Operations team to organize and plan for meetings and gatherings.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Personal Hygiene: all staff working in the office or guesthouse must have very clean hands and nails. Wash hands thoroughly with soap before doing any work. All working clothes used must be clean.
- Kitchen Hygiene:all working surfaces must be kept clean and tidy at all times and floors must be cleaned daily.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Reports Directly To: Administrative Assistant
- Works Directly With: All staff
Knowledge and Experience:
- A years’ experience in a similar capacity
- Working knowledge of English is desired.
- Ability to work both alone and in a team
- Understands the importance of cleanliness and hygiene
- Awareness of health and safety procedures.
- Conscientious with an excellent sense of judgment
- Ability to work simultaneously on multiple tasks
- Willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people
- Strong commitment to teamwork and accountability.
- Willingness to learn and to be trained
- Good spoken and written English and knowledge of local language Hausa, Babura etc.
Application Closing Date
30th June, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps’ policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!
- Address Borno