Job Title: Chief Executive Officer / AUDA-NEPAD
Requisition ID: 526
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Job Grade: SP3
Office: Office of the CEO
Number of Direct Reports: 6
Number of Indirect Reports: 6
Organization: African Union Commission – AUC
Reports to: Chairperson of the African Union Commission
Purpose of Job
- The Chief Executive Officer (‘the CEO’) oversees the delivery of the core functions and key set objectives of the African Union Development Agency – the New Partnership for Africa’s Development (AUDA-NEPAD)
- In this regard, the CEO executes the mandate stipulated in the Statute of AUDA-NEPAD as well as any other tasks as may be assigned to him/her by the Head of States and Government Orientation Committee of AUDA-NEPAD
- The CEO in executing its mandate shall, respect and adhere to the Statute of AUDA- NEPAD and other applicable administrative and operational rules and regulations of the African Union The AUDA-NEPAD mandate as stated in the Statute document is as follow:
- Coordinate and execute priority regional and continental projects to promote regional integration towards the accelerated realization of Agenda 2063; and
- Strengthen capacity of Member States and regional bodies in key identified areas, advance knowledge- based advisory support and undertake the full range of resource mobilization
- The Chief Executive Officer of AUDA-NEPAD shall be responsible for the provisions of the implementation of the strategic priorities of the Agency as stated in the AUDA-NEPAD Statute
- He/she is responsible for the effective management of the relationship of the Agency with other AU Organs and Institutions.
The main functions and responsibilities of the Chief Executive Officer of the African Union Development Agency (AUDA-NEPAD) are deriving from the Organization’s mandate as approved by the AU Assembly of Heads of States and Government The CEO of AUDA-NEPAD shall:
- Encourages and facilitates creativity, the generation of perspectives allowing the incubation of innovative programmes in various fields, including technology, research and development, knowledge management, and data analytics;
- Establishes and leads a comprehensive course of action allowing the provision of technical and implementation support to RECs and Member States in the development and execution of priority projects and programmes;
- Lead the development, creation and management of flexible financial fund models to support Member States to implement their development agendas and Agenda 2063;
- Provide support to Member States and RECs to strengthen capacity in key areas such as, food and nutrition, energy, water, infrastructure, information and communication technology and digital economy, natural resource governance, climate change and institutional and human capital development and innovation;
- Provide advisory support in the setting up and application of norms and standards in thematic priorities of the AU to accelerate regional integration;
- Provide technical backstopping to the AU in implementing policy recommendations at the continental, regional and national levels;
- Monitor and assess Africa’s development trends and progress with the view to achieve key continental and global goals for the purpose of technical reporting;
- Monitor and evaluate the implementation of continental development frameworks as stipulated in Agenda 2063;
- Undertake, apply and disseminate research on policy development support for Member States;
- Coordinate, facilitate and promote cooperation with Africa’s strategic partners and stakeholders for effective resource mobilization
- Coordinate and facilitate partnership with the African academia;
- Foster the cooperation in Africa with the private sector; and
- Coordinate between AU Specialized Agencies, Organs and other institutions to create an enabling and supportive environment for the achievement of the goals and priorities of Agenda 2063.
- Engage in initiation, development, management and maintenance of relations with internal and external Partners
- Lead the development and implementation of strategies to engage with AUDA-NEPAD partners in the region and internationally as stated by the organization’s Statutes and rules of Procedures;
- Ensure the development and management of effective partnership aimed at supporting the regional structures such as the Regional Economic Communities and other regional mechanisms;
- Ensure that the relationship with partners remains one in which Africans lead their own processes of change and development;
- Lead and manage forums established to engage with partners, as delegated by and in consultation with the Steering Committee, the HSGOC and the AUC for the benefit of the continent and its structures;
- Ensure that relations with partners leads to concrete support of African initiatives based on the Agenda 2063;
- Lead and manage the relations with multilateral organizations such as the UN, World Bank, IMF, WTO, etc, thus providing a single platform for engagement with these agencies
- Provide strategic thoughts and leadership on behalf of African Union to support the coordination of the relations with continental strategic partners, through creation of a single platform for engagement
- Provide oversight and leadership to the administration of the AUDA-NEPAD; lead and provide strategic direction to the AUDA-NEPAD administration including financial matters and human resources management;
- Lead and direct the provision of effective financial management systems and organizational accountability in accordance with the African Union Financial Rules and Regulations, the African Union Staff Regulations and Rules and the African Union Procurement Manual
- Lead and direct the AUDA-NEPAD team performance management against individual performance in line with the African Union Staff Regulations and Rules
- Lead and direct the provision of Human Resources Management systems, foster the maintenance of a healthy and conducive work environment for staff,
- Ensure compliance with the African Union Staff Regulations and Rules in the establishment of an effective human resource management system with the aim of creating a motivated work force
- Lead and direct the development and implementation of effective and efficient organizational culture, systems and best practices
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- The candidate is required to have at least an Advanced / Postgraduate Degree or University Master’s Degree in Economics, International Cooperation, Engineering, Development Studies or related / equivalent disciplines with at least fifteen (15) years of progressively responsible relevant experience, with minimum ten (10) years at managerial level and 5 years supervisory level
- Extensive experience and proven record in the stated areas of experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced University Degree/Masters, eg in international and regional finance Institutions, finance ministries or other development and finance related institutions;
- Qualification(s) in advanced executive development programmes or related qualification (shall be an advantage)
- The candidates is required to have at least fifteen (15) years of appropriate experience in leading and managing comparable public sector institutions or similar organizations regionally and or Internationally (Experience as an accounting/controlling officer Is an added advantage);
- Proven track record in conducting and leading business in highly politicized environments; travel both internationally and nationally
- The candidate is required to have a proven track record of delivery and leading the Implementation of large programmes and/projects
- Substantial and proven experience working at very senior decision-making level within the public sector or similar Institutions, regional organizations/institutions, international institutions and civil society organizations
- Substantial experience leading and managing development programmes or projects in Africa with a view of mobilizing support and resources for the design Initiatives, development of policies, implementation of strategies, and effectively accounting for resources utilized.
- Demonstrate strong leadership and management experience, excellent organizational human and financial management skills, very good interpersonal skills and ability to organize and motivate others and to work in a multi-cultural environment;
- Excellent communication skills and ability to Interact with a variety of stakeholders including, at a high level and excellent report writing and reporting skills to diverse audiences and at various levels;
- Excellent strategic visioning, planning, Implementation, monitoring and evaluations and reporting skills;
- Demonstrated record of setting clear standards for accountability, probity, value for money and risk management and zero tolerance to fraud and corruption; for ensuring sound and transparent financial management; and delivering continuous improvement, impact, efficiency and effectiveness;
- Demonstrated intellectual leadership, creativity and proven ability to propose new ideas and lead on new ways of working across silos in a complementary and synergistic way for a prosperous and peaceful Africa;
- Proven track record of change management and accomplishments at the regional, national or international level with strong resource mobilization, political and diplomatic skills;
- Good grounding on regional and international policy frameworks and strategies on the African developmental agenda and specifically Agenda 2063 and the SDGs;
- Working knowledge of research, policy development and analysis, programmes development and management, and project management
- Strategic Focus
- Developing Organizational Capability:
- Change Leadership
- Strategic Risk Management
- Building Partnership
- Drives Accountability Culture
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with impact
- Conceptual Thinking
- Job Knowledge Sharing
- Drive for Result
- Fosters Innovation
- Proficiency in one of the African Union working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese or Spanish) and knowledge of one or several other working language (would be an added advantage.
- The appointment shall be for a period of 4 years’ renewable only once as per the Statute of AUDA-NEPAD.
- The AUDA-NEPAD is an equal opportunity employer, and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply
In accordance with the principle of Geographical Rotation in the recruitment of the CEO of AUDA-NEPAD, candidates from the following geographic regions of the African Union are specifically encouraged to apply:
- Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, DR Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon and São Tomé and Príncipe.
- Comoros, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Madagascar, Mauritius, Rwanda, Seychelles, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Uganda and United Republic of Tanzania.
- Algeria, Egypt, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Sahrawi Republic and Tunisia.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 143,306 (SP3 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements eg Post adjustment (57% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,49600 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,00000 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!