Job Title: Capacity Building Advisor
Start date: December 2020 – August 6, 2025
- The purpose of the five-year (2020-2025) “State Accountability, Transparency and Effectiveness” (“State2State”) Activity is to increase the accountability, transparency and effectiveness of selected states and local governments (LGAs) in Nigeria. This will be achieved by: strengthening governance systems (with a focus on public financial management [PFM] and procurement, as well as monitoring and evaluation) related to the delivery of services in key sectors (basic education, primary health care, and water, sanitation and hygiene [WASH]); increasing government responsiveness to citizen needs and priorities; and improving government and civil society capacity to manage conflict (through work on prevention, mitigation and reconciliation with the same sectoral partners, not stand-alone assistance to the police or judiciary).
- State2State will achieve this purpose by facilitating the strengthening of subnational governance systems in a sustainable manner, supporting the efforts of local reformers and building on locally-derived solutions including, to the extent possible, reforms already working in other parts of Nigeria.
- The Capacity Building Advisor will support capacity building and engagement activities in selected states.
- She/he will address gaps in capacity through range of technical assistance, mentoring and peer learning, ensuring sustainable capacity for implementing reforms.
- The Capacity Building Advisor works as a member of the project’s core advisory team and will collaborate closely with other senior advisors in conflict, gender and social inclusion, public financial management, and civic engagement.
- The Capacity Building advisor works to ensure best practices and best fit solutions are leveraged between states.
She / he will:
- Identify and address gaps in capacity of partner states and organizations (including target individuals) through range of technical assistance, mentoring and peer learning
- Ensure sustainable capacity for implementing reforms
- Strengthen individual and institutional capacities for good governance reforms
- Ensure sustainable skills building and knowledge applications
- Help states access and translate Nigeria’s latest reform knowledge to fit local conditions
- Collect and share capacities and knowledge and link State2State staff and partners across states as they identify, test, and refine innovations for possible adaption, replication/scale up.
- Channel project support to build capacity, improve government-civil society information flows, generate reforms, and secure improvements in service delivery in education, health, and WASH
- Provide technical assistance to state and federal level partners
- Build capacity of civil society organizations to manage funds; engage women and youth to develop projects, build conflict mitigation skills, and participate in local government and state planning and budgeting
- Incorporate capacity building into State2State grant process, managing capacity building through trainings as well as applied learning and mentoring; contributing to grantee capacity building plans tailored to the specific needs of grantee organizations
- Carry out any other function(s) as may be assigned by the Line Manager/ Deputy Chief of Party/Chief of Party
- The Capacity Building Advisor will report to the Technical Director.
- A relevant degree in social sciences, development studies, or relevant field required. Master’s degree preferable.
- At least twelve (12) years of demonstrated experience in the conduct capacity assessments and designing appropriate capacity building programming to address the identified capacity gaps to meet project goals
- Stated experience in working for or with civil society and government organizations to drive a reform agenda
- Demonstrated effective training, capacity building and coaching skills, networking, interpersonal skills, creative problem solving, conflict, and ethical management skills.
- Demonstrable experience in managing capacity building aspects of governance programs
- Strong skill set in reporting, monitoring and evaluation
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Computer literacy in word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software (Microsoft Office)
- Fluency in English, Hausa and/or other local languages is required
Application Closing Date
4th December, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: [email protected] using the “Job Title and Location” as the subject of the email.
- Please list the title of the position and location you are applying for in the subject line of your email.
- Women, people with disabilities and young people are encouraged to apply.
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!