Job Title: Bilingual Secretary – Afcfta Secretariat
Reference Code: AfCFTA(11.17.2020) 03
Location: Accra, Ghana
Number of Positions: 3
Contract Type: Regular (Long Duration)
Employment Fraction: Full-time
Branch: The AfCFTA Secretariat
Background / Overview
- The African Union, established as a unique Pan African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa’s rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among the peoples of Africa and African States as well as developing a new partnership worldwide. Its Headquarters is located in Addis Ababa, capital city of Ethiopia.
- The African Continental Free Trade Area Secretariat (AfCFTA Secretariat) is established under article 13 of the AfCFTA Agreement as a functionally autonomous institutional body within the African Union Systems with an independent legal personality. The Secretariat is responsible for the implementation of the AfCFTA Agreement.
- In seeking to achieve its objective the AfCFTA Secretariat intends to strengthen its capacity to deliver by, among others, the implementation of its structure and the filling of vacant posts.
- The AfCFTA Secretariat through the African Union commission invites qualified and competent applicants who are citizens of Member States of the African Union with relevant skills, competencies and experiences to submit their applications for the position of the Bilingual Secretary based at its headquarters in Accra, Ghana.
- To provide secretarial and clerical support services in at least two AU official working languages to the assigned supervisor or department for its effective functioning.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Draft and proofread documents, reports, correspondences, messages, queries, etc in two AU official working languages as may be assigned by supervisors;
- Respond to and screen various correspondences such as telephone calls, e-mail messages and ensure follow up with supervisors and partners;
- Attend visitors and staff and provide them with basic information on relevant issues and procedures;
- Maintain a proper filing and recording system for all incoming and outgoing correspondences and documents;
- Keep an up to date diary of appointments for supervisors;
- Provide day to day routine administrative supports to various work units of the assigned Department / Division / Units;
- Keep equipment in use in good condition and report on defects for maintenance and other necessary action;
- Ensure availability of stationery stock, equipment and furniture in offices assigned;
- Perform reception services where required; and
- Perform any other relevant duties and responsibility as may be assigned.
Academic Qualification and Work Experience Required
- Diploma in Administrative Services, Office Management, Secretarial and Clerical related studies with 3 years of relevant bilingual secretarial work experience in public organization, diplomatic mission, international organization or international non-governmental organizations.
- Candidates who are holder of bachelor’s degree in Administrative Services, Office Management, Secretarial and Clerical related studies are required to have a minimum of 2 years of relevant bilingual secretarial work experience in public organization, diplomatic mission, international organization or international non-governmental organizations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent knowledge of computer office applications such as Word, Excel, Outlook and Power Point
- Sound planning and organizational skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Strong communication ability both orally and in writing
- Excellent team player and able to work in a multi-cultural environment;
- Decision maker, firm yet flexible, confident;
- Be able to manage stress.
- Strong personality but friendly, polite and patient;
- Work quickly, accurately and efficiently, meeting tight deadlines;
- Be able to work unsupervised on your own initiative;
- Applicants must be proficient in two of the following African Union working languages; Arabic, English, French or Portuguese. Knowledge of one more or several other working languages would be an added advantage.
- The African Union is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Tenure of Appointment:
- The appointment will be made on regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two-years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
Indicative basic salary of US$15,758.00 per annum plus other related entitlements applicable for internationally and locally recruited staff e.g. education allowance and other education related expenses for every eligible dependent child (up to a maximum of US$ 10, 000.00 per child per annum etc. for internationally recruited staff) and (up to maximum of US$ 3,300.00 per child per annum for locally recruited staff of the African Union.
Application Closing Date
21st December, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click Here to Start Application
To submit your application:
- Create an account via the link above (Click here to see instructional video)
- Fill out your personal information and the application form
Application Procedures and Notice
- Attach detailed and updated Curriculum Vitae / Resume including three (3) referees with good knowledge. Of candidate’s work, please, provide referees’ contact details – telephone and e-mail addresses.
- Copy of valid passport.
- Certified copies of educational qualifications – degrees, diplomas and certificates, where applicable (Not 4. More than 5 Documents in PDF Format, and not exceeding 1 MB).
- Please be aware that only complete applications will be considered.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
- Applications are pre-screened by the system according to the published requirements of the job opening on the basis of the information provided in the application. In relation to the requirements of the job opening, applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their qualifications, including their education, work experience, and language skills.
- Each applicant must bear in mind that submission of incomplete or inaccurate applications may render that applicant ineligible for consideration for the job opening.
- Initial screening and evaluation of applications will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted.
- Applications cannot be amended following submission. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a reference-checking process to verify the information provided in the application.
Need more jobs like this?
Get access to High-paying jobs near you. Remember information is power!